Importing Records

Search email archive for

Importing Records
Author: Lutfi M Hussein    Posted: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 07:44:14 -0800
Hi,

First, let me say that I've found this listserv very useful. I've been using ProCite for almost a year; thanks to you, I've learned to use the software more effectively.

I have a question that I hope you can help me resolve. When I import references from a library via Internet Search, some fields may have extra or unnecessary punctuation marks or spaces. Is it possible to format or configure ProCite so that doesn't happen?

I'd appreciate your help with this.

Best wishes, Lutfi

Lutfi M Hussein
http://www.public.asu.edu/~lhussein/

Area Chair, Arab Culture in the U.S.
SW/TX PCA/ACA Conference, 8-11 February 2006
http://www.h-net.org/~swpca/

Re: Importing Records
Author: Philip Stanley    Posted: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 16:21:36 -0000
I do not know of a way to avoid this problem during a download. I do not
think parsing will work when configuring using Biblio-Link.

However a workaround that I use is: Mark the records concerned and then add
to the end of the fields concerned, a small text string of symbols unlikely
to be found in the file, for example "@@@" -- do this by Edit Marked Records
> Global edit then select the fields concerned and in the "change" box "Add
to the end of each field" and in the "Text" box "@@ />
Then do a simple "Find and Replace" in the marked records,
The first needs to search for ". @@@" and replace with nothing
Then search for " @@@" and replace with nothing
Finally search for "@@@" and replace with nothing.

===================================
Dr Philip E Stanley
Cambridge Research & Technology Transfer Ltd
48 Glisson Road
Cambridge CB1 2HF
England
Email: />

Author: Geoff Carver    Posted: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 20:21:00 GMT
because i have a slow internet connection, i usually just download everything, then do a universal search/replace
usually the big things i worry about are spaces before colons " :" or other extra marks
which i just do as a batch after the file has been downloaded