Query about unwanted creation of 'read only' files

Search email archive for

Query about unwanted creation of 'read only' files
Author: JA Dennis, School Policy Studies    Posted: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 12:52:29 +0100
Dear All,

I am brand-new to the list and this is my first question. Apologies if it
is old hat.

I am very frustrated because after years of happy service, my Procite seems
to be doing something odd. I can open a file and work in it, but if I close
it and attempt to get back into it, I find the file has suddenly become
'Read only' and I have to rebuild it.

This is no problem to start - rebuilding leads to a new file 'Copy of Old
file' - so far , so good, and I can work in this new file for some time.
However, the moment I close it, it too becomes 'read-only' again and I am
reduced to rebuilding every single time I wish to access a Procite file.

Can anyone recommend any action?

Best wishes
Jane

Query about unwanted creation of 'read only' files
Author: LastName, FirstName    Posted: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 13:03:08 +0100
Thank you for your email. Most kind etc, etc, etc. I am
away from my office until at least 30/3/2006 and I will
attend to it on my return.

Andy

Andrew Barrow
Science Librarian
Frewen Library
University of Portsmouth
Tel: (023) 9284-3236

Re: Query about unwanted creation of 'read only' files
Author: Karen Blackhall    Posted: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 13:10:04 +0100
Hello Jane, I think the trick is to go to the files on your PC and right
click, then choose the option in properties to make them NOT read only.
I find this happens with the older files sometimes if they have been
passed on to me by someone else. All the best, Karen x

>>> 03/29/06 12:52 PM >>>

Author: JA Dennis, School Policy Studies    Posted: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 13:31:34 +0100
Dear Karen (glad you're on the list!),
Thank you but I am afraid it doesn't seem to work. Ie, if I go to the
Properties box, the Read-only box is unticked (for the very files which are
read only when I open them). I have fiddled a bit, ticking then unticking,
but it is always same... when I close with it NOT read only and then open
the file in question, there it is... read-only again (as one can see by
seeing that the title of the document has changed at the top of the
screen). The Properties box doesn't record the fact, but when you're in the
file, you can't delete or alter a record and the only option is to rebuild.
So thanks but... this seems extra-tough.
Jane

--On 29 March 2006 13:10 +0100 Karen Blackhall
wrote:

> Hello Jane, I think the trick is to go to the files on your PC and right
> click, then choose the option in properties to make them NOT read only. I
> find this happens with the older files sometimes if they have been passed
> on to me by someone else. All the best, Karen x

> Dear All,
>
> I am brand-new to the list and this is my first question. Apologies if it
> is old hat.
>
> I am very frustrated because after years of happy service, my Procite
> seems
> to be doing something odd. I can open a file and work in it, but if I
> close
> it and attempt to get back into it, I find the file has suddenly become
> 'Read only' and I have to rebuild it.
>
> This is no problem to start - rebuilding leads to a new file 'Copy of Old
> file' - so far , so good, and I can work in this new file for some time.
> However, the moment I close it, it too becomes 'read-only' again and I am
> reduced to rebuilding every single time I wish to access a Procite file.
>
> Can anyone recommend any action?
>
> Best wishes
> Jane

----------------------
Jane Dennis
RGC, Cochrane Developmental, Psychosocial and Learning Problems Group
School for Policy Studies
University of Bristol
8 Priory Road
Bristol BS8 1TZ ENGLAND
Tel: 44 (0) 117 954 6782
Fax: 44 (0) 117 954 6623
Email: /> URL: www.bris.ac.uk/Depts/CochraneBehav

Re: Query about unwanted creation of 'read only' files
Author: David Harvey    Posted: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 07:47:46 +1000
Sounds more likely to be system related. Have you changed operating
systems recently?

--
David Harvey
60 Gipps Street

Re: Query about unwanted creation of 'read only' files
Author: Michael Breen    Posted: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 10:57:25 +0100
This can sometimes happen if you back up your work to a CD and then restore
it later. All the files transferred from the CD will be read-only. Three
things:

1. Make sure there is no malware setting the properties.
2. Remove Procite, reboot, and reinstall it.
3. Use a universal property changer and set all the files on your drive
to normal. There are a lot of these freeware utilities out there which will
be ideal. Or you could use DOS from the root directory command line if you
know the appropriate commands.

Michael