ProCITE on the WEB and on CD-ROMS...

Search email archive for

ProCITE on the WEB and on CD-ROMS...
Author: Ashok Hariharan    Posted: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 12:38:11 +0300
Hi:

I have been with a procite database to index newspaper articles.

One of the challenges we faced some years back was publishing the
citations online. For various reasons it was decided that "reference
web poster" sold by procite was unsuitable for web publishing, as it
was found to be inflexible.

So I built a system which converted and pubslished the citations in
the procite database into complementary website database tables which
allowed cross searching, searching by subject headings, and an online
thesaurus. This has worked very well for us ,
and can be seen on : <http://www.indexkenya.org/thesaurus.asp>...there
are other links that allow searching for citations by categories,
broad terms, narrow terms..etc...

What we want to do now, is provide a similar interface to the
citations but on CD-ROM . Unfortunately the software used for the
website, does not work out of a CDROM....

I found greenstone (http://www.greenstone.org) which seems to fit the
bill....Has anyone on this list ever worked with publishing procite
citations to greenstone...I would be very interested in knowing what
your experience has been...

thank you for your patience...

Ashok

--
++++ Ashok Hariharan ++++

Re: ProCITE on the WEB and on CD-ROMS...
Author: Eddie Woodward    Posted: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 09:50:10 -0500
Hello Ashok, Thank you for this post! Do you know of any documentation
that addresses using Greenstone with ProCite? Or did you just figure it
out yourself? Thanks!

Eddie Woodward
Library of Virginia

Author: Ashok Hariharan    Posted: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 18:53:08 +0300
Hello Eddie:

In fact no. Back when i was trying to put Procite on the web,
greenstone was quite new and didnt do what i wanted it to do. So i
ended up building my own system on a scripting language (python) which
converted procite data to corresponding relational database tables.

So now, I want to put a structure that i have on my website, onto a
cdrom. But the website runs on a traditional database software which
doesnt work out of a CDROM (because CDs are read-only). But in the
meanwhile greenstone seems to have improved a lot, and now that i have
to put the citations on a CD - am trying to figure out a way to
automate pushing procite citations into greenstone.

I found that greenstone installs a plugin for procite...but no
instructions on how to use it...

there is collection configuration file (collect.cfg) i greenstone,
which i guess needs to be edited and changed. I am still going
through it, if i come up with something concrete, i ll post it here...

thanks
Ashok

Author: Dan O'Donnell    Posted: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 13:01:44 -0700
Have you tried writing the Greenstone people? They are incredibly
helpful.

-d

--
Daniel Paul O'Donnell, PhD
Acting Chair and Associate Professor of English

Vox: +1 (403) 329-2378/-2377
Fax: +1 (403) 382-7191