XML Output Styles

Search email archive for

XML Output Styles
Author: Fred Lerner    Posted: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 08:57:20 EST
I have been asked to investigate the possibility of producing an XML-compatible text file containing the contents of a nearly 30,000-item bibliographic database. Is it possible to do this by devising an XML-compatible output style? Can any one direct me to any information on this?

Fred Lerner, D.L.S.
Information Scientist
National Center for PTSD
VA Medical Center (116D)
White River Junction, Vermont 05009 USA
phone (802) 296 5132
fax (802) 296 5135
internet /> website <www.ncptsd.va.gov>

Re: XML Output Styles
Author: Heinze    Posted: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 15:02:50 +0100
this answer may sound naive, but I guess you can experiment and write
simple HTML code as a kind of "connecting text" between the data fields
when you edit an output style form
you know, like <bold>Authors</bold> ...

regards,
Berthold

--Berthold Heinze
Genetics - Federal Research Centre for Forestry
Hauptstrasse 7, A-1140 Vienna, Austria
(alternatively, when
absent from office)
Tel. +43 1 87838-2219, Fax -2250 mobile +43 660 340 1460
http://bfw.ac.at/200/220.html

Author: Daniel O'Donnell    Posted: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 08:52:56 -0700
I don't have information on how to do this at my finger tips. Also you
would need to decide which markup schema you want to use. But it should
be no problem at all.

Any XML bibliography language is going to work primarily at the level of
the record, so all you have to do is make sure that Procite's output
stylesheet includes well-formed XML for each type of bibliographic item
according to whatever scheme you use. You don't have to worry about the
top and bottom of the file, since that can easily be added later.

The main decision in a project like this is the output format. I've done
it myself to TEI XML using their biblStruct format. I wouldn't recommend
using the output to html for any complex or large project (though I've
done that too): the HTML won't contain enough structural information for
any sophisticated bibliographic markup scheme. For small scale projects
using a minimally detailed markup, however, Procite > html > xml is
possible.

-dan

--
Daniel Paul O'Donnell