Re: Anybody know refworks?

Search email archive for

Re: Anybody know refworks?
Author: Daniel O'Donnell    Posted: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 23:57:31 -0700
I asked about RefWorks a couple of months ago on this list and on
/>
Then one thing led to another and I wasn't really able to play with it
until today.

Having spent the day, however, I think it may be something for the
procite community to consider: it seems really very good and has most if
not all the features that one uses ProCite (rather than EndNote or
something else) for.

The main problem is getting files out of ProCite: the recommended
filter, RIS.pos, is--as I'm sure we are all used to from something
produced by Thompson--garbage. It loses huge amounts of information
converting ProCite's quite atomic fields to the RIS format.

If you compare RefWorks own tagged format against Procite's field
divisions, however, you will see that RefWork is actually closer to
ProCite than RIS is: it maps almost one-to-one. It took me about four
hours to develop a set of ProCite > RefWorks Tagged Format files. The
only thing that needed teaking was the handling of returns in Procite
(they seem to confuse RefWorks). But after that the upload was a charm
and everything ended up in the right place.

There had been some complaints that RefWorks didn't allow you do design
your own outputs. That seems to be fixed. The output editor looks quite
easy.

At US$100 per year and apparently serious support, it looks like a real
option for ProCite users (nb. I am in no way associated with any
citation software company--but I've been desperately looking for a
supported alternative to ProCite and am pretty pleased with what I've
found here).

-d

--
Daniel Paul O'Donnell