Re: Blinking parse (Windows B-link

Search email archive for

Re: Blinking parse (Windows B-link
Author: DARRYL KIRK    Posted: Wed, 2 Aug 1995 05:45:58 -0500
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 1995 05:45:58 -0500

Sender: PRO-CITE The Personal Bibliographic Software Discussion List

From: DARRYL KIRK
Subject: Re: Blinking parse (Windows B-link)

Chris,

> We have twiddled with the config to read ERIC CD-ROM records, and cannot
> get it to parse the volume/issue/pages/date infor in the JN field. Anyone
> had and solved this problem.

JN- Database, ^v10 n1 p73-78 Feb |

This is the Journal field from the Eric CDROM I use.

Parsed field format should look like this:

PrecBy Component FollBy

Title ,SPACE
^v Volume SPACE
n Issue SPACE
p Pages SPACE
Date

BLinkII is terribly fussy about spaces. One space in the wrong place
and it just won't work.

This works for me, I think it should work for you.

Tag Format should be: $-SPACE
Terminator should be a pipe |

I hope this works. If it does not, let me know.

Darryl Kirk

Special Projects Officer, UK ProCite User Group

*Darryl Kirk, Kingston Hill Library, Kingston-Upon-Thames,*
* Surrey, KT2 7LB UK. 0181 547-2000 ext 5609. *
*Internet: or

Re: Blinking parse (Windows B-link
Author: Mark Lee    Posted: Fri, 4 Aug 1995 13:39:26 EDT
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 1995 13:39:26 EDT

Sender: PRO-CITE The Personal Bibliographic Software Discussion List

Comments: Converted from OV/VM to RFC822 format by PUMP V2.2X
From: Mark Lee

Darryl;
I apologise for being so tardy in making this response, but to
"break-out" specific information from within a fielda properly space it
may require preprocessing. BLINKII's fussiness over blanks is not out of
the ordinary for ANY format convertion software. What may make it appear
more fussy is simply that it is going to a specific format with no
room for tolerance. A general convertion software is usually not hampered
by such a restrain as it depends upon the importing software import strength
totake a more generic form (comma delimited, for example)and pull it in.
A solution may be to use a more generic converter and then use the
ProCite IMPORT capibility to do the rough formatting.

- Mark Lee

Mark Lee
Smithsonian Institution
BITNET: MLEE@SIVM