[MUG] Maple startup options?

Search email archive for

[MUG] Maple startup options?
Author: Maple    Posted: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 06:04:53 -0500

>> From: />
I would like to have Maple8 (either the command line or Window version) automatically begin execution of a Maple program whenever I start Windows 2000, and run the Maple server (mserver.exe) at "BelowNormal" priority. Does anyone know if this is possible, and if so how it can be done?

One other thing - is it possible to turn off the maplew8.exe "Splash Screen"? Since I run Maple on my own computer at home and there is usually no one else around when I run it, the Splash Screen is a complete waste of time as advertising and serves no purpose other than to irritate me.

Thank you,

Ron Dotson

[MUG] AW: Maple startup options?
Author: Thomas Richard    Posted: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 09:01:38 +0100

>> From: "Thomas Richard" />
> >> From: /> >
> I would like to have Maple8 (either the command line or Window version)
> automatically begin execution of a Maple program whenever I start Windows 2000,
> and run the Maple server (mserver.exe) at "BelowNormal" priority. Does anyone
> know if this is possible, and if so how it can be done?

AFAIK, for the automatic execution it is sufficient to put a link into the
user's autostart folder. Frankly, I haven't tried that, because I prefer
Unix for such tasks.
About the priority, I only know how to change it manually via task manager
for a running process...

> One other thing - is it possible to turn off the maplew8.exe "Splash Screen"?
> Since I run Maple on my own computer at home and there is usually no one else
> around when I run it, the Splash Screen is a complete waste of time as
> advertising and serves no purpose other than to irritate me.

Roughly translated from the German edition of Windows 2000:
Right-click on the object (icon or start menu entry), then in "properties"
choose "link", then change the "target" from
"C:\Program Files\Maple 8\bin.wnt\maplew.exe"
"C:\Program Files\Maple 8\bin.wnt\maplew.exe" -nosplash

--
Mit freundlichen Gruessen / best regards
Thomas Richard Tel.: +49-241-40008-52, Fax: -13

[MUG] Maple startup options?
Author: Thomas Richard    Posted: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 09:06:25 +0100

>> From: "Thomas Richard" />
Sorry, I made a mistake with copy&paste. For Windows 2000, the
path/filename below should be:

"C:\Programme\Maple 8\bin.win\maplew8.exe" -nosplash

--
Mit freundlichen Gruessen / best regards
Thomas Richard Tel.: +49-241-40008-52, Fax: -13
Maple Support /> Scientific Computers GmbH <http://www.scientific.de>

> -----Urspr|ngliche Nachricht-----

[MUG] Re: Maple startup options?
Author: Bertfried Fauser    Posted: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 21:53:37 +0100

>> From: Bertfried Fauser />
On Mon, 13 Jan 2003 wrote:

Hi Ron,

> I would like to have Maple8 (either the command line or Window version)
> automatically begin execution of a Maple program whenever I start
> Windows 2000, and run the Maple server (mserver.exe) at "BelowNormal"
> priority. Does anyone know if this is possible, and if so how it can be
> done?

I am not experienced with M$ OSes, but on Unix (Linux) it would be
possible to start a script, which looks in some maple-spool directory
to read there maple files, process them to produce the output tiles
etc. using nice (low priority background) maple (the command line
version, no GUI involved) [You see already here, that is is good to have
an non GUI version of maple, which makes already two GUIs, and thus a
client/server architecture useful]

I am not sure if you can do this with some Visual Basic script, but should
be possible also...

One point is problematic. If you shutdown your box, you kill the maple
process running and loose all results. If your jobs are short, this would
do no harm, just after reboot the batch script would re-run the oldest
maple job scheduled for spooling. However if you have long jobs, (since
there is no resume facility) this will not work, since the job will be
shutdown before its end every time and you will never get the result (my
jobs run up to a week [or I kill them]), hence in this case you need to
let your box running...
[By the way, with M$ OS you might not be able to have a maple job running
for days/weeks since the box crashes or slows down by memory leaks and
other harm, but Linux does well...]

best
BF.

% | | PD Dr Bertfried Fauser Fachbereich Physik Fach M 678 |
% \ / Universit"at Konstanz 78457 Konstanz Germany |
% (mul) Phone : +49 7531 883786 FAX : +49 7531 88-4864 or 4266 (comul)
% | E-mail: / \