[MUG] Problem with SWP Implementation of Maple

Search email archive for

[MUG] Problem with SWP Implementation of Maple
Author: Jim Moser    Posted: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 11:01:34 -0600

>> From: Jim Moser />
I'm using the Scientific Workplace implementation of Maple. I recently
encountered a problem and wondered whether the problem is unique to that
implementation or is with Maple.

The problem is checking for equality of expressions having summations at
discrete intervals (FORTRAN e.g. i=1,10) . I found that two step were
necessary. The comparison isn't done at all unless each expression is
first numerically evaluated. Then because the evaluation produces
floating point rather than integer (in the FORTRAN sense), I must delete
the occurrence of ".0" in discrete variables to force the comparison to
treat those variables correctly.

Seems that what is missing is a convention (or preference setting) that
forces Maple, at least the SWP implementation of Maple, to regard
select variables as discrete. I'd appreciate confirmation of this
"explanation." And while at it, if anyone can suggest an improvement to
my work around, I'm all ears.

--
Jim Moser
Research Department

[MUG] Re: Problem with SWP Implementation of Maple
Author: Robert Israel    Posted: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 10:44:25 -0800

>> From: Robert Israel />
Your description of the problem is not detailed enough to let
us guess what is actually happening here. I think it might be
quite different from what you think is going on. Please send
a sample of actual Maple code where the problem occurs. It's
very unlikely, by the way, that the problem is specific to Scientific
Workplace.

As for your question about regarding "select variables as discrete",
that's not at all how Maple works. Any variable can be assigned any
value, be it an integer, a float or some algebraic expression. If you
assign it an integer, it will be an integer. If you want to make
floats into integers, you can do so with "round".

Robert Israel /> Department of Mathematics http://www.math.ubc.ca/~israel
University of British Columbia
Vancouver, BC, Canada V6T 1Z2