[MUG] DegreeReverseLexicographic Monomial ordering

Search email archive for

[MUG] DegreeReverseLexicographic Monomial ordering
Author: Mehmet Suzen    Posted: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 07:44:33 -0800

>> From: Mehmet Suzen />
Hi All,
Monomial ordering could one define in Maple has
several forms. For example plex, tdeg, lexdeg and
so on. Idea is having a same degree ordering or
corresponding one defined in mathematica as
"DegreeReverseLexicographic". Does any body know
corresponding term ordering in Maple? Because
comparison of two package maple and mathematica is
under consideration. (Groebner Package under
Polynomial algebra).
Kind Regards,
Mehmet

[MUG] Re: DegreeReverseLexicographic Monomial ordering
Author: Allan Wittkopf    Posted: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 07:47:51 -0800

>> From: Allan Wittkopf />
I believe that the default 'tdeg' order corresponds to the
DegreeReverseLexicographic ordering (see ?Groebner,termorder).

There is an easy way to check. Specifically construct all monomials of a fixed
degree, and call Groebner[gbasis] with the ordering you want to check and
compare results:

> ord := 3:
> mon := NULL:
> for i from 0 to ord do
> for j from 0 to ord-i do
> mon := mon,x^i*y^j*z^(ord-i-j);
> od;
> od:
> mon := [mon];
3 2 2 3 2 2 2 2 3
mon := [z , y z , y z, y , x z , x y z, x y , x z, x y, x ]

> Groebner[gbasis](mon,tdeg(x,y,z));
3 2 2 2 2 3 2 2 3
[z , y z , x z , y z, x y z, x z, y , x y , x y, x ]

Sincerely,
Allan Wittkopf