[mathcad] Re: Files Saved in MathCAD 2001i Pro Can't Be Compressed

Search email archive for

[mathcad] Re: Files Saved in MathCAD 2001i Pro Can't Be Compressed
Author: Krzysztof Sadowski    Posted: Wed, 22 May 2002 20:59:02 +0200
Witaj Guang,

W Twoim liście datowanym 22 maja 2002 (20:49:17) można przeczytać:

TG> Hello,

TG> I try to zip files saved in MathCAD 2001i pro by WinZip (v 8.0) and PKware
TG> (v 2.70). The files can not be compressed at all.
TG> Anyone knows why?

TG> Thanks

TG> G. S. Tong
TG> />

TG> ---
TG> The Mathcad List - Discussion, Support & News
TG> Contributions: /> TG> Hosted by: Adept Scientific http://www.adeptscience.com
TG> ---
TG> Would you like this to come to a different email address?
TG> ---
TG> Simply leave the mailing list (see below) and re-join by
TG> sending a blank email from the new address to:
TG> or
TG> ---
TG> If you do not want to be on the Mathcad list, simply send a
TG> blank email (no subject or message needed) to:
TG> />
because MathCad2001 use internal compression of *.mcd files (for
example cdr files from Corel 9 are compress from corel program)

--
Pozdrowienia,
Krzysztof />

---
The Mathcad List - Discussion, Support & News
Contributions: /> Hosted by: Adept Scientific http://www.adeptscience.com
---

Author: Pergande, Albert N    Posted: Wed, 22 May 2002 16:01:34 -0400
Perhaps they have a very high entropy. Typically, Power point files and
executables don't compress much at all.

Albert Pergande, Senior RF Engineer
Lockheed Martin Missiles and Fire Control Radar
MP 200
5600 Sand Lake Road
Orlando Fla 32819
Voice 407-356-5169
Fax 407-356-0933
Work Related E-mail - /> Personal E-mail - />
W Twoim lioecie datowanym 22 maja 2002 (20:49:17) można przeczytać:

TG> Hello,

TG> I try to zip files saved in MathCAD 2001i pro by WinZip (v 8.0) and
PKware
TG> (v 2.70). The files can not be compressed at all.
TG> Anyone knows why?

TG> Thanks

TG> G. S. Tong
TG> />

TG> ---
TG> The Mathcad List - Discussion, Support & News
TG> Contributions: /> TG> Hosted by: Adept Scientific http://www.adeptscience.com
TG> ---
TG> Would you like this to come to a different email address?
TG> ---
TG> Simply leave the mailing list (see below) and re-join by
TG> sending a blank email from the new address to:
TG> or
TG> ---
TG> If you do not want to be on the Mathcad list, simply send a
TG> blank email (no subject or message needed) to:
TG> />
because MathCad2001 use internal compression of *.mcd files (for
example cdr files from Corel 9 are compress from corel program)

--
Pozdrowienia,
Krzysztof />

---
The Mathcad List - Discussion, Support & News
Contributions: /> Hosted by: Adept Scientific http://www.adeptscience.com
---
Would you like this to come to a different email address?
---
Simply leave the mailing list (see below) and re-join by
sending a blank email from the new address to:
or
---
If you do not want to be on the Mathcad list, simply send a
blank email (no subject or message needed) to:
/>
---
The Mathcad List - Discussion, Support & News
Contributions: /> Hosted by: Adept Scientific http://www.adeptscience.com
---
Would you like this to come to a different email address?
---
Simply leave the mailing list (see below) and re-join by
sending a blank email from the new address to:
or
---
If you do not want to be on the Mathcad list, simply send a
blank email (no subject or message needed) to:
/>

[mathcad] RE: [MathCAD] Re: Files Saved in MathCAD 2001i Pro Can't Be Compr essed
Author: Tong, Guang    Posted: Wed, 22 May 2002 15:12:38 -0500
But, the same files previously saved on v. 2000 pro could be compressed in a
very good ratio.

Author: Pergande, Albert N    Posted: Wed, 22 May 2002 16:23:10 -0400
Well, perhaps they changed the way they store the files substantially. Is
there a difference in file size that depends on whether you store in
2000,2001, or 2001i? The compression routines don't really care what sort of
data they compress, but the amount of disorder in the file has a lot to do
with the compression ratio. In fact, compression ratio from th eLZ
compression algorithm is a good measure of entropy, and it's one of the
metrics returned by the code I have to measure disorder.

Have you looked at files in both formats with a hex editor?

Author: Tong, Guang    Posted: Thu, 23 May 2002 08:16:22 -0500
Thanks, Albert.

I saved a file, which is in v2000, to v2001i and then zipped both files.
1) There is no difference in the sizes of both files.
2) The file stored in 2000 is compressed at a ratio of 93% while the file
stored in 2001i compressed at a ratio of zero.

I don't have a hex editor.

Author: Bryce Hesterman    Posted: Fri, 24 May 2002 21:34:58 -0600
I think that I know why Mathcad 2001i files cannot be compressed. In the
older formats, I could open Mathcad files with a text editor and be able to
recognize some of what I saw. I learned how I could manually adjust a code
at the beginning of the file to recognize or even change what version it
was. There have been postings to this forum that it was not hard to break
into a password protected file.

There are authors who would like to be able to securely lock Mathcad files
so that locked collapsed areas cannot be opened, and I read somewhere that
2001i provides this security. If you open a 2001i file with a text editor,
you can see that the contents are quite scrambled. This makes it more
difficult to decipher locked files, but it also makes the files
uncompressible since there is so much disorder in an encrypted file.

If you need compression, save your files in an older format.

Bryce Hesterman.

---