[mathcad] Re: Why so many "internal errors"?

Search email archive for

[mathcad] Re: Why so many "internal errors"?
Author: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Steen_Gro=F0e?=    Posted: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 12:41:07 +0200
Much more buggy

Regards

:-) Steen Groše

http://www.grode.dk

---
The Mathcad List - Discussion, Support & News
Contributions: /> Hosted by: Adept Scientific http://www.adeptscience.com
---
Would you like this to come to a different email address?
---
Simply leave the mailing list (see below) and re-join by
sending a blank email from the new address to:
or
---
If you do not want to be on the Mathcad list, simply send a
blank email (no subject or message needed) to:
/>

[mathcad] Re: Why so many "internal errors"?
Author: Mike Austin    Posted: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 12:30:21 +0100
In message
<LIST!MANAGER-372271-652780-2005.06.27-09.22.10--mike#lamrim.org.uk@lists
.adeptscience.co.uk>, William J Marshall
writes
>I am getting increasingly annoyed at the number of times I see "An internal
>error has occurred" when using Mcad 11.2.
>This usually results in
>1) panic
>2) relief when I usually see that I can save present state of document
>3) restart of Mathcad (which takes ~40 s in my networked installation due
>to Licence Manager delays)
>4) reload of previous computation sheet(s)
>5) a period of reorientation to the problem at hand.
>
>This was very rare in my previous version, 2001i.
>Does anyone have any comments? Is this sufficient reason to move to Ver 12,
>or is it also as buggy?
>
>Regards,
>Bill

I find that internal errors in Mathcad 12 occur more frequently than in
Mathcad 11. On the positive side, it is good to be warned of them. There
is usually time to save one's work. I regularly save my work now. Having
the option of automatic backups in the next version would be useful.

--
Mike Austin

---

Author: Bill Dumke    Posted: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 06:37:59 -0500
Cannot use 12 here because the markers in the xy plots don't display.
Mathcad 12 needs at least one more service pack.

Still use 11. But haven't had as much of a problem with internal
errors. Only once in a while.

Always wondered why some on this list have not upgraded from version 8
or whatever. Now I know.

Not eagerly awaiting Mathcad 13.

Bill

---

Author: Troyer, Rod    Posted: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 05:40:21 -0700
Version 12 will NOT give you any relief. You will still get unexpected
"An Internal Error Has Occurred" message. At times I think it may be
due to an overaggressive mouse action on my part, at other times it
seems unrelated to my actions. I'm inclined to believe it is a randomly
generated message to encourage you to buy an upgrade.

You can get MathCAD restarted in only 40 seconds? Wow!
Did you get WARM gravel also?

Author: Oakley, Philip SELEX UK    Posted: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 10:27:24 +0100

>3) restart of MathCAD (which takes ~40 s in my networked installation
> due to Licence Manager delays)

>You can get MathCAD restarted in only 40 seconds?

I look after a network installation of V11. We have both client installs and network download type installs (i.e. code is on server rather than c: ), and I also have a single user home copy.

In all cases, the restart time is ~20 seconds, even the single user home copy. The delay would appear to be some common feature of the start-up and may be affected by local machine performance.

We did have a few PCs who's set-up created a 2-3 minute start-up delay!!! This was traced to the PCs environment variables, where the variable LM_LICENCE_FILE (which is read first by FlexLM licence manger) contained a reference to a now dead server. The delay was due to waiting for the timeout from FlexLM interrogating the server. removing the server name from that environment variable brought the time back to ~20 seconds.

Philip

Author: Aldo P Solari    Posted: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 22:11:56 +0200
William: you do not mention which OS version you have, how much RAM
you've got, how many and which applications you have running in the
background, which antivirus you have installed, etc.

Most of the crashes, I dare to affirm, will be related to
the the MIKROZOFT WINBLOWZ, sir.

XP ? Nogo for professional matters. Go Win2k on SP4, have 1 Gb of
RAM, CleverCachePro, Kaspersky AV and rearrange the Windows registry
either with Norton Works or a similar app.

Trojans may crash you the box, too.

W/best wishes,

Aldo P. Solari (fisheries biologist)

----
(academic matters)
(private matters)

Home: www.ulpgc.es/webs/ffresearch-solaris
----
(U. of) Las Palmas, Canary Islands [27/06/2005, 22:03 GMT]
----

WJM> I am getting increasingly annoyed at the number of times I see "An internal
WJM> error has occurred" when using Mcad 11.2.
WJM> This usually results in
WJM> 1) panic
WJM> 2) relief when I usually see that I can save present state of document
WJM> 3) restart of Mathcad (which takes ~40 s in my networked installation due
WJM> to Licence Manager delays)
WJM> 4) reload of previous computation sheet(s)
WJM> 5) a period of reorientation to the problem at hand.

WJM> This was very rare in my previous version, 2001i.
WJM> Does anyone have any comments? Is this sufficient reason to move to Ver 12,
WJM> or is it also as buggy?

WJM> Regards,
WJM> Bill

---

Author: William J Marshall    Posted: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 13:51:20 -0400
Thanks to all who responded. I am learning to live with the Internal
Errors.

Rod Troyer's msg included
"At times I think it may be
due to an overaggressive mouse action on my part, ..."

I've had thoughts along those lines too. What I believe is that the error
occurences are related to editing, not calculating, and happen whether in
auto calculation mode or not. Often I see it after lots of F2/F3/F4
activity --- as if the Clipboard got overwhelmed.

- Bill

---

Author: Andy Spragg    Posted: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 11:26:09 +0100
William,

Hmmm, interesting. I wonder if it is time to raise, once again, the
spectre of the issue that has kept me frozen at v7? When people start
talking about errors, particularly internal ones, occurring as a result of
editing, my ears start to prick up. Once, a long time ago, I got a large
bee in my bonnet about the fact that the results of copy and paste were,
even in some very simple circumstances, dependent on the way the selection
for copy was carried out. I also produced a worksheet to illustrate this,
which needless to say I can no longer find - but which I may now try and
recreate. Here's what Chris Randles had to say on the subject after I
challenged him at the London launch of (I think) v2001i:

"Thanks for your patience on this topic. The answer to your question is
that the bug you identified exists in the Mathcad equation editor code and
in fact dates back several releases (at least to Mathcad 7). It's also
one that does not reproduce consistently. There appears to be a subtle
sensitivity in precisely how the expression is selected for copying and,
in working with your file, our R&D staff found that the expression pastes
correctly in some cases, and only partially in others. There is no
apparent pattern to the behavior, though presumably one exists. I think
this is consistent with your experience too.

Because of its design, this class of equation editor bug can't be safely
addressed in the current editor code and so I'm afraid there's no fix
likely to be available in the short term. However there is a workaround,
which is to drag-select the area of the equation to be copied
(highlighting using the cursor, as I showed you in London), rather than
simply relying on the blue editing bar under the equation. This style of
editing is more consistent with the way other Windows applications work
(such as Word or Excel) and should give you good results.

For this reason among many others (including the need for portability), we
have been working for the last year or so on a new equation editor which
will debut this year. While I would never promise that any piece of
software will be developed bug-free, we will do our best to ensure that
this bug is addressed in the new editor!"

The trouble with the workaround was that it didn't help in the very
circumstances where I first discovered the bug - trying to copy part of a
complicated expression, in order to extract it and use it elsewhere - or
if it did, I never figured out how to make the mouse do my bidding.

I may be chasing a red herring here. I'd like to know either way.

Andy

William J Marshall
28/06/2005 18:51
Please respond to
/>

Mathcad Discussion List /> cc

Subject
[...]

Any opinions expressed in this email are those of the individual and not necessarily of RHM Limited and/or any of its subsidiaries.

This email and any files transmitted with it are private, may be confidential and are for the intended recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received them in error. Please notify the sender of the error, delete all copies of them from your system and destroy any printed copies.

If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy, disseminate, distribute, or use this email and any files transmitted with it.

Please rely on your own anti-virus system. No responsibility is taken by RHM Limited and/or any of its subsidiaries for any damage arising out of any bug or virus infection.

---

Author: Gray, Steven G    Posted: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 08:36:23 -0400
Aldo,

I'm no apologist for Microsoft, but I run a lot of software these days.
"Internal errors" are much more frequent with Mathcad, in my experience,
than with virtually all of the other software that I run. I can't blame
that on Windows.

Steve Gray
Lockheed Martin

William: you do not mention which OS version you have, how much RAM
you've got, how many and which applications you have running in the
background, which antivirus you have installed, etc.

Most of the crashes, I dare to affirm, will be related to
the the MIKROZOFT WINBLOWZ, sir.

XP ? Nogo for professional matters. Go Win2k on SP4, have 1 Gb of
RAM, CleverCachePro, Kaspersky AV and rearrange the Windows registry
either with Norton Works or a similar app.

Trojans may crash you the box, too.

W/best wishes,

Aldo P. Solari (fisheries biologist)

----
(academic matters)
(private matters)

Home: www.ulpgc.es/webs/ffresearch-solaris
----
(U. of) Las Palmas, Canary Islands [27/06/2005, 22:03 GMT]
----

WJM> I am getting increasingly annoyed at the number of times I see "An
internal
WJM> error has occurred" when using Mcad 11.2.
WJM> This usually results in
WJM> 1) panic
WJM> 2) relief when I usually see that I can save present state of
document
WJM> 3) restart of Mathcad (which takes ~40 s in my networked
installation due
WJM> to Licence Manager delays)
WJM> 4) reload of previous computation sheet(s)
WJM> 5) a period of reorientation to the problem at hand.

WJM> This was very rare in my previous version, 2001i.
WJM> Does anyone have any comments? Is this sufficient reason to move to
Ver 12,
WJM> or is it also as buggy?

WJM> Regards,
WJM> Bill

---

Author: Mike Austin    Posted: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 13:19:51 +0100
In message
<LIST!MANAGER-372271-654640-2005.06.29-10.46.24--mike#lamrim.org.uk@lists
.adeptscience.co.uk>, William J Marshall
writes

>What I believe is that the error
>occurences are related to editing, not calculating, and happen whether in
>auto calculation mode or not. Often I see it after lots of F2/F3/F4
>activity --- as if the Clipboard got overwhelmed.

Yes. This is what I have found also. It occurs more frequently with 12
than 11. Usually, I don't lose anything. On rare occasions, 12 has shut
down without warning - just disappeared off the screen entirely. Again,
this has been during a lot of editing.

--
Mike Austin

---