[mathcad] Running 2001 and 15 on the same machine?

Search email archive for

[mathcad] Running 2001 and 15 on the same machine?
Author: Laurent Muller    Posted: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 14:26:05 -0600
Hi,

I've been away from MathCad (and the List) for a few years but am
going back to school and using it again.

All my old and trusted files (some from the DOS times) are now 2001
files and I would like to keep them like that.

Am thinking about loading 15 Academic as there are a few features I
could use, however, I am hesitant about taking a chance with it on my
older files.

Can 2001 and 15 be loaded on the same machine?

Can 15 files be made compatible with 2001?

Thank you.

Regards

Laurent Muller

---
The Mathcad List - Discussion, Support & News
Contributions: /> Hosted by: Adept Scientific http://www.adeptscience.com
---
Would you like this to come to a different email address?
---
Simply leave the mailing list (see below) and re-join by
sending a blank email from the new address to:
or
---
You are currently subscribed to mathcad as: /> To unsubscribe send a blank email to />

RE: [mathcad] Running 2001 and 15 on the same machine?
Author: Dumke, Bill    Posted: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 19:04:20 +0000
Laurent,

This list is pretty much dead. (It was once a great tool. But Adeptscience did not want to deal with the spam problem.) I think I have only seen a couple of postings this last year.

The Mathsoft Mathcad Collaboratory was killed by PTC which now owns Mathcad. You can see the text of the Collaboratory messages on the PTC Mathcad Community web site, but all of the files are gone.

Here is a link to the PTC Mathcad Community:

http://communities.ptc.com/community/mathcad

I believe anyone can register for the Community, but am not sure. (I have a maintenance contract with PTC, usually around $300 per year.)

I never tried Mathcad 15 and 2001 on the same machine, but I know that Mathcad 11 and 15 do coexist with one another well. Although once in a while when weird things happen you need to repair one or the other. Most of the postings in the Mathcad Community are made with Mathcad 11. I doubt it can be purchased anywhere anymore.

Mathcad 11 will load and save as 2001 files.

Mathcad 15 will only load and save as Mathcad 11 or newer files. And copying and pasting math regions between 15 and 11 I have found usually result in corruption.

Mathcad Prime is not all there yet, and it appears to have thousands of bugs as well. But if you like finding bugs.....many have beat you to it.

Hope this helps you.

Bill

Bill Dumke
RF Engineer
Nsight dba Cellcom
450 Security Blvd, Green Bay, WI 54313
Ph: 920-617-7311
Email: />
CONFIDENTIALITY: This email is intended solely for the person(s) named. The contents may be confidential and/or privileged If you have received this email in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete the email. Thank you.

COMMITTED TO ECO-FRIENDLY PRACTICES : Please print only when necessary.

[...]

Re[2]: [mathcad] Running 2001 and 15 on the same machine?
Author: Aldo P Solari    Posted: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 05:47:35 +0000
I belive that a MathCAD resource (collaboratory, etc.) should not be
at PTC but elsewhere, at some university or similar. Some software
companies have shown an extremely destructive attitude. They do not
realize that mutual_trust_based_interactions are the Alpha-Omega of
this. As a consequence of it, many have migrated (mainly to MAPLE).
Synthax may be tricky but applets are "flying around" everywhere. And
they keep coming. Sad but true.

I for one do not recommend MathCAD anymore. I have done
fisheries-oceanographic research for over 20 years and hold a Ph.D. on
these matters. Sometimes-to-often, people (students, researchers) ask
me "what way to go" (softwarewise). Nowdays, I recommend to go: (i)
MAPLE (because of their academic policies, collaboratory, etc.) on
PC's and (ii) FORTRAN on (cheap, AMD based) clusters.

MathCAD is historically dead. IMO, it is greed that -as in many other
cases- has killed partnerships, trust, recommendations and the
software package itself as a ground tool to do good things. No one is
more sorry than I am.

Sooner or later, a group of chinese/indian hackers will put their
hands on some MathCAD-similar Open Source approaches (such as
http://www.smathstudio.com/), free (as in Freedom and free apples) and
the community will go over within 24 hours. History repeats itself.
American companies hire new CEO's, they want to show how good they are
and -often- they end up crushing their customer base (which are
communities of scientists).

Que Dios lo coja confesados.

Aldo

W/best wishes/greetings,

Aldo P. Solari (fisheries researcher, Ph.D.)
2D-3D Stock dynamics and systems modelling.

Email: <aldo.solari at fisheries.es>

Research page: www.ulpgc.es/webs/ffresearch-solaris

----
All general confidentiality disclaimers apply
----

wrote [on the 30/01/2012, at 19:04 GMT]:

> Laurent,

> This list is pretty much dead. (It was once a great tool. But
> Adeptscience did not want to deal with the spam problem.) I think I
> have only seen a couple of postings this last year.

> The Mathsoft Mathcad Collaboratory was killed by PTC which now owns
> Mathcad. You can see the text of the Collaboratory messages on the
> PTC Mathcad Community web site, but all of the files are gone.

> Here is a link to the PTC Mathcad Community:

> http://communities.ptc.com/community/mathcad

> I believe anyone can register for the Community, but am not sure.
> (I have a maintenance contract with PTC, usually around $300 per
> year.)

> I never tried Mathcad 15 and 2001 on the same machine, but I know
> that Mathcad 11 and 15 do coexist with one another well. Although
> once in a while when weird things happen you need to repair one or
> the other. Most of the postings in the Mathcad Community are made
> with Mathcad 11. I doubt it can be purchased anywhere anymore.

> Mathcad 11 will load and save as 2001 files.

> Mathcad 15 will only load and save as Mathcad 11 or newer files.
> And copying and pasting math regions between 15 and 11 I have found
> usually result in corruption.

> Mathcad Prime is not all there yet, and it appears to have
> thousands of bugs as well. But if you like finding bugs.....many have
> beat you to it.

> Hope this helps you.

> Bill

> Bill Dumke
> RF Engineer
> Nsight dba Cellcom
> 450 Security Blvd, Green Bay, WI 54313
> Ph: 920-617-7311
> Email: />
> CONFIDENTIALITY: This email is intended solely for the person(s)
> named. The contents may be confidential and/or privileged If you
> have received this email in error, please contact the sender
> immediately and delete the email. Thank you.

> COMMITTED TO ECO-FRIENDLY PRACTICES : Please print only when necessary.

----
end of file

---
The Mathcad List - Discussion, Support & News
Contributions: /> Hosted by: Adept Scientific http://www.adeptscience.com
---
Would you like this to come to a different email address?
---
Simply leave the mailing list (see below) and re-join by
sending a blank email from the new address to:
or
---
You are currently subscribed to mathcad as: /> To unsubscribe send a blank email to />

Re: Re[2]: [mathcad] Running 2001 and 15 on the same machine?
Author: Roald C Maximo    Posted: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 09:54:45 -0300
Aldo

You said it all. No need for further comments.
Que o diabo leve a PTC

Roald