Re: [mathcad] Mathcad prime

Search email archive for

Re: [mathcad] Mathcad prime
Author: Paul Bragg    Posted: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 14:25:00 +0000
From:
Stephen Senn /> To:
/> Date:
25/01/2011 14:25
Subject:
[mathcad] Mathcad prime

I have updated to Mathcad 15 but see that there now seems to be a
product called Mathcad Prime. Does anybody know how it relates to
Mathcad?
--
Stephen Senn (home email)
17 Dundonald Road

---
The Mathcad List - Discussion, Support & News
Contributions: /> Hosted by: Adept Scientific http://www.adeptscience.com
---
Would you like this to come to a different email address?
---
Simply leave the mailing list (see below) and re-join by
sending a blank email from the new address to:
or
---
You are currently subscribed to mathcad as: /> To unsubscribe send a blank email to
/>

Re: [mathcad] Mathcad prime
Author: Paul Bragg    Posted: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 15:12:00 +0000
From:
"Aldo P. Solari" /> To:
/> Date:
25/01/2011 15:12
Re: [mathcad] Mathcad prime

Stephen, MathCAD (as we knew it with the MAPLE kernel) is gone.
MathCAD Prime is a "replacement product" according to the PTC web
site.

They do not appear to have gone JAVA from the little I can see in the
web. Some makers have gone JAVA because no one can put up with the
changes MS has done XP->whatever->W7 (32-to-64 bits, etc.).

They do not say anything in their demo videos on what they've done
kernelwise. They just say they've included functionalities that were
adons before ...

Zero transparency. Bad for bussines with the sci community.

Best,

Aldo

W/best wishes,

Aldo P. Solari (fisheries biologist, PhD)

----
(academic matters)
(private matters)

Home: www.ulpgc.es/webs/ffresearch-solaris
----
(U. of) Las Palmas, Canary Islands [25/01/2011, 14:34 GMT]
----

SS> I have updated to Mathcad 15 but see that there now seems to be a
SS> product called Mathcad Prime. Does anybody know how it relates to
SS> Mathcad?

----

---

Author: Paul Bragg    Posted: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 15:31:00 +0000
From:
"Dumke, Bill" /> To:
/> Date:
25/01/2011 15:31
RE: [mathcad] Mathcad prime

Stephen,

Mathcad Prime was introduced some time ago, but it does not yet have all
the functionality of Mathcad 15. It is a work in progress. One nice
thing about it, I was told recently, is that you no longer have to
repaginate when you change printers, which is a real pain for long
documents with Mathcad 15 and below. I think there is a trial version
available for Prime if you want to play with it, but I am not sure.

Bill

Bill Dumke
RF Engineer
Nsight dba Cellcom
450 Security Blvd, Green Bay, WI 54313
Ph: 920-617-7311
Email: />
CONFIDENTIALITY: This email is intended solely for the person(s) named.
The contents may be confidential and/or privileged If you have received
this email in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete
the email. Thank you.

COMMITTED TO ECO-FRIENDLY PRACTICES : Please print only when necessary.

Author: Paul Bragg    Posted: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 13:42:00 +0000
From:
ANDREW WEIGHELL /> To:
/> Date:
26/01/2011 13:42
RE: [mathcad] Mathcad prime

I have just down loaded Mathcad Prime. It is supposed to be the new
replacement for Mathcad. However, it is not a single update as you might
have expected, say with Office 2003 to Office 2007. As Bill says, it work
in progress. What are you supposed to do? Convert your Mathcad files and
move forward with Prime, carry on with 15 or what.

I have whinged about some of the querky features that have never been
fixed in the more that 20 years of using Mathcad. My expectations were
very high. However, unless something is done with Prime, I will
definitely not be using it.

Come back Mathcad - I apologise for all my complaints. Had Prime been a
competitor to MC 6, then it would have disappeared without trace. Some
features are good. These should have been put on MC 20 years ago. e.g.
The grid. However, the ribbons bars are absolutely useless. I only use a
few commands. I don't need 1/4 of my 17" laptop screen covered by cr*p.
Simple editing is much slower than mathcad. The green MC guide bars allow
simple tabbing. They don't appear to exist in Prime - I could be wrong
because I gave up in frustration.

Andrew

http://www.adeptscience.com List Archive: http://lists.adeptscience.co.uk/

Author: Paul Bragg    Posted: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 11:31:00 +0000
From:
Mike Austin /> To:
/> Date:
27/01/2011 11:31
Re: [mathcad] Mathcad prime

ANDREW WEIGHELL writes

>However, the ribbons bars are absolutely useless. I only use a few
>commands. I don't need 1/4 of my 17" laptop screen covered by cr*p.

Unfortunately, Prime seems to have gone the way of Microsoft Office 2007
and 2010 with these ridiculous ribbons. I installed Office 2007 because
my client required it. But I still have Office 2003 running concurrently
and I only use Office 2007 to check macro compatibility.

I am sticking with Mathcad 14. It is the newest version that still runs
concurrently with an earlier Mathcad version (e.g. Mathcad 11). They are
both fairly stable. I do not upgrade for cosmetic reasons, particularly
when functionality gets lost.

--
Mike Austin

---

Author: Paul Bragg    Posted: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 16:13:00 +0000
From:
"Dumke, Bill" /> To:
/> Date:
27/01/2011 16:13
RE: [mathcad] Mathcad prime

I suspect the rate at which PTC puts out Mathcad software is dependent
only on financial concerns. But it looks to me like they are losing a lot
of "discouraged" customers because of all the bugs with each release. I
think they would make more money spending "some" time on getting the bugs
of a new release fixed, before they give it the swift boot out the door.

I currently run both Mathcad 11 and 15 myself. For simple stuff I stick
with Mathcad 11. When I need to use the additional features or more speed
or for very large documents I use Mathcad 15. But it does have some
strange things that happen once in a while, although I either live with
them or find an alternative way of doing them.

BTW I hate ribbons, all they do is take up a LOT of space on the screen,
and it is very hard to find what you need, anyway. In some cases old
features don't even exist anymore with the Microsoft Junk. E.g. a
filename placed in the header is no longer updated when you change the
filename. The old pull down menus were best. I guess the reason why the
microbrains at Microsoft did it was that illiterate people who were using
office couldn't read words anymore, so they had to turn everything into an
infinite number of icons. But why would illiterate people even want to
use office?

Author: Paul Bragg    Posted: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 16:29:00 +0000
/> To:
/> Date:
27/01/2011 16:29
RE: [mathcad] Mathcad prime

I think PTC really are trying to develop a new platform for Mathcad with
Prime but it's a big task to rework years of code that had been developed
over so many years. As far as I can tell PTC are putting a lot more
resource into Mathcad development and testing than was sometimes the case
in the Mathsoft years.

Right now any experienced and long time Mathcad user is unlikely to switch
to Prime, but that's why Mathcad 15 will continue to be shipped with
Mathcad Prime 1.0. A first time Mathcad user who has no need of all of
the
functionality in Mathcad 15 may well find the new approach to the document
interface in Prime to be easier to get to grips with.

Best Regards
Paul Bragg
Adept Scientific

Author: Paul Bragg    Posted: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 16:31:00 +0000
From:
Mike Austin /> To:
/> Date:
27/01/2011 16:31
Re: [mathcad] Mathcad prime

"Dumke, Bill" writes

>I currently run both Mathcad 11 and 15 myself.

They both work side-by-side OK? I might have been interested in Mathcad
15 if it were not for the fact that my client uses Mathcad 14. I need to
have Mathcad 14 running concurrently with any later release.

--
Mike Austin

---

Author: Paul Bragg    Posted: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 16:35:00 +0000
From:
"Dumke, Bill" /> To:
/> Date:
27/01/2011 16:35
RE: [mathcad] Mathcad prime

Yes, they do. If you have 11 on your machine and install 15 after that
installation, you have to go to the control panel and repair 11. I have
also found on occasion I have to repair 15 as well.

Most of the PTC Community discussions use Mathcad 11, and it can be used
with much earlier software. But Mathcad 14 will read 15 documents ok,
at least in my experience when I had 14 installed.

One thing that does NOT work is copying math regions from 11 into 15.
Things will get corrupted real fast.

Author: Paul Bragg    Posted: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 16:57:00 +0000
From:
Mike Austin /> To:
/> Date:
27/01/2011 16:57
Re: [mathcad] Mathcad prime

"Dumke, Bill" writes

>But Mathcad 14 will read 15 documents ok,
>at least in my experience when I had 14 installed.

I need to run Mathcad 14 and Mathcad 15 on the same PC. It was possible
to run Mathcad 13 and Mathcad 14 on the same PC. I could find out if the
later version was reliable before uninstalling the earlier version. From
previous experience (going back to version 2 for DOS!), one can jump out
of the frying pan into the fire.

--
Mike Austin

---

Author: Paul Bragg    Posted: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 17:39:00 +0000
From:
"Steen Groše" /> To:
/> Date:
27/01/2011 17:39
Re: [mathcad] Mathcad prime

But version 15 is nothing but version 14... I really can't imagine any
need to run both. They
just change the number instead of calling it v.14.4

> "Dumke, Bill" writes
>
> >But Mathcad 14 will read 15 documents ok,
> >at least in my experience when I had 14 installed.
>
> I need to run Mathcad 14 and Mathcad 15 on the same PC. It was
> possible
> to run Mathcad 13 and Mathcad 14 on the same PC. I could find out if
> the
> later version was reliable before uninstalling the earlier version.
> From
> previous experience (going back to version 2 for DOS!), one can jump
> out
> of the frying pan into the fire.
>
> --
> Mike Austin
>
> ---
> The Mathcad List - Discussion, Support & News
> Contributions: /> > Hosted by: Adept Scientific http://www.adeptscience.com
> ---
> Would you like this to come to a different email address?
> ---
> Simply leave the mailing list (see below) and re-join by
> sending a blank email from the new address to:
> or
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to mathcad as: /> > To unsubscribe send a blank email to
> />

:-) Steen
http://www.grode.dk

---

Author: Paul Bragg    Posted: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 14:12:00 +0000
From:
"Steen Groše" /> To:
/> Date:
28/01/2011 14:10
Re: [mathcad] Mathcad prime

Stick with v 11.2 - just my opinion.

On 26 Jan 2011 at 12:28, ANDREW WEIGHELL wrote:

[...]

Steen Groše, Cand comm. Senior lektor, BSc
Lęreruddannelsen (matematik og teknologi)
Professionshųjskolen Metropol
Nyelandsvej 27
2000 Frederiksberg C
E: /> T: 7248 7275
W:
http://www.phmetropol.dk/Forskning+og+udvikling/Videnmiljoer/Epro/Udvikling

---

Author: Paul Bragg    Posted: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 14:12:00 +0000
From:
Mike Austin /> To:
/> Date:
28/01/2011 14:12
Re: [mathcad] Mathcad prime

Steen Groše writes
>But version 15 is nothing but version 14... I really can't imagine any
>need to run both. They
>just change the number instead of calling it v.14.4

What has happened to me in the past is that a new version of Mathcad can
be more unstable or has more bugs than the current version. I need to be
able to cross-check until I am confident the new version is OK. This can
even happen with updates. For example, Mathcad 14 M035 is less reliable
than M030 because it remains in Task Manager after it is closed.

Perhaps the reason Mathcad 15 cannot run alongside Mathcad 14 is because
it is, as you say, really Mathcad 14.4 and not actually a new release.

--
Mike Austin

---

Author: Paul Bragg    Posted: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 14:13:00 +0000
From:
"Zeftel, Mona" /> To:
/> Date:
28/01/2011 14:13
RE: [mathcad] Mathcad prime

Mathcad 15 does have new features, which are not part of Mathcad 14. They
include:

28 Design of Experiment functions,
new plot types such as box plots, effects plots, and
pareto plots,
integration with Excel 2007,
connections to Mathcad Partners including Knovel,
Truenumbers, and Kornucopia

The schema is the same as Mathcad 14, which is why the two cannot run on
the same computer.

However, you can read Mathcad 15 files in Mathcad 14, except for the new
features.

Best,

Mona

But version 15 is nothing but version 14... I really can't imagine any
need to run both. They
just change the number instead of calling it v.14.4

> "Dumke, Bill" writes
>
> >But Mathcad 14 will read 15 documents ok,
> >at least in my experience when I had 14 installed.
>
> I need to run Mathcad 14 and Mathcad 15 on the same PC. It was
> possible
> to run Mathcad 13 and Mathcad 14 on the same PC. I could find out if
> the
> later version was reliable before uninstalling the earlier version.
> From
> previous experience (going back to version 2 for DOS!), one can jump
> out
> of the frying pan into the fire.
>
> --
> Mike Austin
>
> ---
> The Mathcad List - Discussion, Support & News
> Contributions: /> > Hosted by: Adept Scientific http://www.adeptscience.com
> ---
> Would you like this to come to a different email address?
> ---
> Simply leave the mailing list (see below) and re-join by
> sending a blank email from the new address to:
> or
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to mathcad as: /> > To unsubscribe send a blank email to
> />

:-) Steen
http://www.grode.dk

---