[mathcad] Overbars and other diacriticals...finally

Search email archive for

[mathcad] Overbars and other diacriticals...finally
Author: Marc Artzouni    Posted: Mon, 03 Dec 2012 11:41:51 +0100
Hi:

For years I've been wanting to define a variable X with a horizontal bar
above for the empirical mean
of the random variable X - And I've seen many posts on this subject
but with never a satisfactory solution.
(some people have suggested the "complex conjugate" trick for getting a
bar above a letter, but that does not work if you
want to define the variable: it transforms a variable into its complex
conjugate).

The solution is simply to design a "private character" which is
incredibly easy to do with the Private Character Editor
in windows 7 (and probably earlier version):

http://www.7tutorials.com/create-your-own-characters-private-character-editor

In a nutshell you can use a "reference letter" (in my case "X") which
you import on the right side of the "character editor"
and then have to move to the left side before editing it: move the
letter down and to the right of that left side, then just draw the overbar
and link to "all fonts" - you then find the new font in the "Character
Map" as a "Private character" -

NOTES:
- This works fine to get the new letter as text - To get the Xbar as a
variable you need to fool mathcad by first typing
X (or any other letter) as an ordinary (math) variable which you then
replace with the Xbar pasted from the "Character Map" - Then the Xbar
is correctly considered a math variable (I checked you can even add
literal and math subscripts: no problem). You may have to play around
a bit to get the right size.

Remarks:

- obviously if you want the whole alphabet with overbars it gets tedious
- usually though you need just a few letters -

- with the drawing capability you can design ANY letter/symbol , with
ANY diacritical

-one problem is that this will work only on your computer - unless you
send the new fonts to those who may need to use
your file - that must be doable but is a bit above my pay grade -

Don't hesitate to contact me if you have problems - I have benefited a
lot from this list over the years and will be happy
to contribute ...for once (although the list has become pretty
"dormant" - but this info seems important to me so I am passing it on!)

Regards to all

Marc Artzrouni

--

Marc Artzrouni, Professeur
Département de Mathématiques (CNRS 5142)

**********************************
tel: + 33 - (0)5 59 40 75 50
fax: + 33 - (0)5 59 40 75 55
e-mail: /> Skype: marc.artzrouni
**********************************

Page professionnelle:
http://www.univ-pau.fr/~artzroun/

Marc Artzrouni, Professor
Department of Mathematics (CNRS 5142)
University of Pau - BP 1155
64013 Pau Cedex
FRANCE

**********************************
tel: + 33 - (0)5 59 40 75 50
fax: + 33 - (0)5 59 40 75 55
e-mail: /> Skype: marc.artzrouni
**********************************

Home page:
http://www.univ-pau.fr/~artzroun/

---
The Mathcad List - Discussion, Support & News
Contributions: /> Hosted by: Adept Scientific http://www.adeptscience.com
---
Would you like this to come to a different email address?
---
Simply leave the mailing list (see below) and re-join by
sending a blank email from the new address to:
or
---
You are currently subscribed to mathcad as: /> To unsubscribe send a blank email to />

Re: [mathcad] Overbars and other diacriticals...finally
Author: Laurent Muller    Posted: Mon, 03 Dec 2012 11:53:56 -0600
Seems similar to suggestion on PTC site

http://communities.ptc.com/message/175924#175924

with same conclusion.......will work only on original computer!

There are so many expressions requiring the bar that you'd think a
simple keystroke would be available for it.

Thanks

On 12/3/2012 4:41 AM, Marc Artzouni wrote:
> Hi:
>
> For years I've been wanting to define a variable X with a horizontal
> bar above for the empirical mean
> of the random variable X - And I've seen many posts on this subject
> but with never a satisfactory solution.
> (some people have suggested the "complex conjugate" trick for getting
> a bar above a letter, but that does not work if you
> want to define the variable: it transforms a variable into its complex
> conjugate).
>
> The solution is simply to design a "private character" which is
> incredibly easy to do with the Private Character Editor
> in windows 7 (and probably earlier version):
>
> http://www.7tutorials.com/create-your-own-characters-private-character-editor
>

> In a nutshell you can use a "reference letter" (in my case "X") which
> you import on the right side of the "character editor"
> and then have to move to the left side before editing it: move the
> letter down and to the right of that left side, then just draw the
> overbar
> and link to "all fonts" - you then find the new font in the
> "Character Map" as a "Private character" -
>
> NOTES:
> - This works fine to get the new letter as text - To get the Xbar as a
> variable you need to fool mathcad by first typing
> X (or any other letter) as an ordinary (math) variable which you then
> replace with the Xbar pasted from the "Character Map" - Then the Xbar
> is correctly considered a math variable (I checked you can even add
> literal and math subscripts: no problem). You may have to play around
> a bit to get the right size.
>
> Remarks:
>
> - obviously if you want the whole alphabet with overbars it gets
> tedious - usually though you need just a few letters -
>
> - with the drawing capability you can design ANY letter/symbol , with
> ANY diacritical
>
> -one problem is that this will work only on your computer - unless you
> send the new fonts to those who may need to use
> your file - that must be doable but is a bit above my pay grade -
>
> Don't hesitate to contact me if you have problems - I have benefited a
> lot from this list over the years and will be happy
> to contribute ...for once (although the list has become pretty
> "dormant" - but this info seems important to me so I am passing it on!)
>
> Regards to all
>
> Marc Artzrouni

---

Author: ANDREW WEIGHELL    Posted: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 19:25:35 +0000 (
Marc,

Many thanks.

The most frustrating and symptomatic aspect is that this could have been 90% fixed by Mathsoft 25 years ago for $50.  It just needs a 2 or 3 new fonts.  Why didn't I spend the $50 on a font editor and create new fonts? No excuse.  Pathetic really - by the time I got around to looking at it, my need had gone until the next time.  Even worse, the same lackadaisical attitude seems to have been carried over by PTC on this subject.

Best Regards
Andrew