[mathcad] new Design of Experiments functionality for Mathcad

Search email archive for

[mathcad] new Design of Experiments functionality for Mathcad
Author: Zeftel, Mona    Posted: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 13:59:55 -0500
We are developing new functionality for Mathcad in Design of Experiments and are looking for user feedback and suggestions. If you work in Design of Experiments or Six Sigma and would like to participate in an Alpha test on the functions and new plot types, please let me know the type of work you do and about how much time you have for testing Alpha software in mid-January.

We can offer you a copy of the software when the release is available.

Mona

| Mona Zeftel | Senior Technical Consultant | Mathcad | PTC | 140 Kendrick St. | Needham | MA | 02499 | |

---
The Mathcad List - Discussion, Support & News
Contributions: /> Hosted by: Adept Scientific http://www.adeptscience.com
---
Would you like this to come to a different email address?
---
Simply leave the mailing list (see below) and re-join by
sending a blank email from the new address to:
or
---
You are currently subscribed to mathcad as: /> To unsubscribe send a blank email to />

RE:[mathcad] new Design of Experiments functionality for Mathcad
Author: Skogh Lennart    Posted: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 17:16:28 +0100

Hi Mona,

I'm working as an test engineer and is interested of how signals is related to each other so if you have new functions that in a illustrative way can visualize more than two signals I can spend two hours as an Alpha tester.

Lennart

Author: Paul Bragg    Posted: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 14:57:00 +0000
From:
Stephen Jon Blank /> To:
/> Date:
21/04/2010 14:57
Re: [mathcad] new Design of Experiments functionality for Mathcad

Is this group still functioning?

If so, can any tell me what is the justification for Mathcad 14 having
changed the definition of the unit step function from in Mathcad 13 and
all prior version to in Mathcad 14.

Thanks,

Steve

---
The Mathcad List - Discussion, Support & News
Contributions:
Hosted by: Adept Scientific http://www.adeptscience.com
---
Would you like this to come to a different email address?
---
Simply leave the mailing list (see below) and re-join by
sending a blank email from the new address to:
or
---
You are currently subscribed to mathcad as:

 Attachments:
 msg-11174-3.jpg
 msg-11174-4.jpg

Re: [mathcad] new Design of Experiments functionality for Mathcad
Author: Paul Bragg    Posted: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 18:05:00 +0000
Hi Steve,

As you can see the group is still functioning but pretty quiet. I'll ask
our technical team if they know the answer to your question, but maybe
someone else has an answer?

Regards
Paul Bragg
Adept Scientific

Stephen Jon Blank wrote on 20/04/2010 18:05:29:

> Stephen Jon Blank /> >
>
> /> >
>
> 21/04/2010 14:57

> Re: [mathcad] new Design of Experiments functionality for Mathcad
>
> Is this group still functioning?
>
> If so, can any tell me what is the justification for Mathcad 14
> having changed the definition of the unit step function from [image
> removed] in Mathcad 13 and all prior version to [image removed] in
> Mathcad 14.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve

---
The Mathcad List - Discussion, Support & News
Contributions: /> Hosted by: Adept Scientific http://www.adeptscience.com
---
Would you like this to come to a different email address?
---
Simply leave the mailing list (see below) and re-join by
sending a blank email from the new address to:
or
---
You are currently subscribed to mathcad as: /> To unsubscribe send a blank email to
/>

Re: [mathcad] new Design of Experiments functionality for Mathcad
Author: Paul Bragg    Posted: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 14:57:00 +0000
Hi Steve

Looking at Wiki, the graph has rotational symmetry when H(0)=0.5 and is
commonly used. Strictly speaking H(0) is undefined.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heaviside_step_function

Best regards
Surak

Surak Perera
Maths & Simulation, Applications
Adept Scientific www.adeptscience.co.uk

Tel: +44 (0) 1462 489113

From:
Stephen Jon Blank

Date:
21/04/2010 14:57

http://www.adeptscience.com List Archive: http://lists.adeptscience.co.uk/
--- Would you like this to come to a different email address? --- Simply
leave the mailing list (see below) and re-join by sending a blank email
from the new address to: or ---
You are currently subscribed to mathcad as:
/>

 Attachments:
 msg-26500-3.jpg
 msg-26500-4.jpg

Re: [mathcad] new Design of Experiments functionality for Mathcad
Author: Paul Bragg    Posted: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 15:31:00 +0000
From:
"Pergande, Albert N"

Date:
21/04/2010 15:31
RE: [mathcad] new Design of Experiments functionality for Mathcad

You best bet is to simply redefine it back to what you want. I've
redefined the gamma function so instead of giving infinity at its poles it
give 10^50 or such so I don’t get errors when it's used in bigger
equations. That's the really nice feature of redefining built in
functions, you can fix things like that.

Looking at Wiki, the graph has rotational symmetry when H(0)=0.5 and is
commonly used. Strictly speaking H(0) is undefined.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heaviside_step_function

Best regards
Surak

Surak Perera
Maths & Simulation, Applications
Adept Scientific www.adeptscience.co.uk

Tel: +44 (0) 1462 489113

From:
Stephen Jon Blank

Date:
21/04/2010 14:57
[...]

 msg-26548-3.jpg
 msg-26548-4.jpg

Re: [mathcad] new Design of Experiments functionality for Mathcad
Author: Paul Bragg    Posted: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 10:13:00 +0000
----- Forwarded by Paul Bragg/Users/AdeptScientific on 21/02/2011 15:09
-----

From:
"Tom Gutman" /> To:
/> Date:
23/04/2010 10:13
Re: [mathcad] new Design of Experiments functionality for Mathcad

Symmetry and consistency.

One point of consistency is with Fourier series. Take the step
function (however you define it at zero -- single points have no
effect), calculate the Fourier series, and evaluate the Fourier series
at zero. The result is one half.

Another point of consistency comes from considering the step function
as the integral of the Dirac delta function. General principles of
integration require that the integral from minus infinity to zero plus
the integral from zero to plus infinity be equal to the integral from
minus infinity to plus infinity. To get that requires that the
integral at zero be one half.

Symmetry considerations require that the function behave the same,
whether approached from the negative or positive direction. Again,
only a value of one half does that.

It also simplifies the piecewise definition of continuous functions.
You no longer have to worry about which endpoint goes with which
value. All nodes simply get the average of the two values, which, for
a continuous function, will be the same.

Tom Gutman

Author: Paul Bragg    Posted: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 16:06:00 +0000
----- Forwarded by Paul Bragg/Users/AdeptScientific on 21/02/2011 15:11
-----

From:
Stephen Jon Blank /> To:
/> Date:
23/04/2010 16:06
Re: [mathcad] new Design of Experiments functionality for Mathcad

Tom Gutman,

Thanks very much. Your explanation was very helpful.
Just one question, how do we find the Fourier series of the aperiodic step
function.

Thanks again,
Steve

Author: Paul Bragg    Posted: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 09:22:00 +0000
----- Forwarded by Paul Bragg/Users/AdeptScientific on 21/02/2011 15:12
-----

/> To:
/> Date:
24/04/2010 09:22
Re: [mathcad] new Design of Experiments functionality for Mathcad

You make a very good case for asking a different question instead: why
Mathcad defined it as for so long? :-)
--
Andy Spragg
Mathematical Modeller

cc

Subject
Re: [mathcad] new Design of Experiments functionality for Mathcad

"Tom Gutman"
23/04/2010 07:11

Please respond to
/>

> [...]

Contributions: /> Hosted by: Adept Scientific http://www.adeptscience.com
---
Would you like this to come to a different email address?
---
Simply leave the mailing list (see below) and re-join by
sending a blank email from the new address to:
or
---
You are currently subscribed to mathcad as:
/>
--- The Mathcad List - Discussion, Support & News Contributions:
Hosted by: Adept Scientific
http://www.adeptscience.com List Archive: http://lists.adeptscience.co.uk/
--- Would you like this to come to a different email address? --- Simply
leave the mailing list (see below) and re-join by sending a blank email
from the new address to: or ---
You are currently subscribed to mathcad as:

 msg-27010-3.jpg

Re: [mathcad] new Design of Experiments functionality for Mathcad
Author: Paul Bragg    Posted: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 10:55:00 +0000
From:
"Tom Gutman" /> To:
/> Date:
26/04/2010 10:55
Re: [mathcad] new Design of Experiments functionality for Mathcad

You can't, quite. But you can make a periodic function by repeating
the values over any range that has zero in the interior. Makes no
difference what interval you choose, you will always get a value of
one half at zero. Extrapolate to an infinite interval.

Author: Paul Bragg    Posted: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 15:27:00 +0000
From:
Stephen Jon Blank /> To:
/> Date:
26/04/2010 15:27
Re: [mathcad] new Design of Experiments functionality for Mathcad

Tom Gutman,

Thanks again.

Steve
Tom Gutman wrote:
> You can't, quite. But you can make a periodic function by repeating
> the values over any range that has zero in the interior. Makes no
> difference what interval you choose, you will always get a value of
> one half at zero. Extrapolate to an infinite interval.
>
> Tom Gutman

---