Thomson Reuters:"Re: Endnote X4/X5 and Mac OS 10.8 Mountain Lion?" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription

Search email archive for

Thomson Reuters:"Re: Endnote X4/X5 and Mac OS 10.8 Mountain Lion?" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Mon, 8 Oct 2012 18:18:19 -0700
Subject: Re: Endnote X4/X5 and Mac OS 10.8 Mountain Lion?
Author: sithu (New User)
Date: 10-09-2012 02:18 AM

Below is a possible solution for EndNote X5 (Mac) problems. Running on a 2 year old iMac, with Microsoft Office 2011 on Mountain Lion.   Was working perfectly under Mountain Lion 10.8.0, Office 2011 v14.0.0, and Endnote X5.   After upgrading to Mountain Lion 10.8.2 it started to develop long pauses and error codes communicating with endnote from Word. Toolbar was still present, but any clicking caused a 1-2 minute freeze of word. Formatting bibiolography would cause permanent freeze at 25% progress. Customizing Endnote and reinstalling CWYW would continue to leave the checkbox "unchecked" (this still persists after fixing).   Even after upgrading to Office 14.2.4 (the latest) the problems persisted.   It works after I deleted all traces of Microsoft Office 2011 and reinstalled only to version 14.2.3 (NOT latest). Follow these steps, but you may want to backup or archive these files before you delete them in case you lose important settings:   Delete Folder:  /Applications/Microsoft Office 2011/ Delete Folder:  /Library/Application Support/Microsoft/   Go to Library Folder in your user folder: Note in Mt. Lion the library folder is hidden, so open a Finder window and press "Command-Shift-G" and paste this into the window "~/Library/" without quotes. Then continue:   Delete Folder:  /Users/user_name/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/ Delete Folder:  /Users/user_name/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/   Search inside the Folder  "/Users/user_name/Library/Preferences/"  for any files containing "microsoft" and delete all of them.  Again, consider backing up if you have important preferences that you need to save.   Search again inside the Folder  "/Users/user_name/Library/Preferences/"  for any files containing "endnote" and delete all of them. If you don't have your serial/registration on hand you may need it when you re-open endnote.  (not sure if this step is needed)   To make the Finder search only within the current folder, select "Search:  "Preferences"" from the toolbar in the finder window, or go to the main menu -->  Finder --> Preferences --> when performing a search: Search the Current Folder   Next: - Reinstall Microsoft Office up to version 14.2.3 - Open up Endnote X5 and go to main menu --> Endnote X5 --> Customizer --> click Cite While You Write..  next.. install it.  It won't remain checked when you do this again, but make sure there is a file called "EndNote CWYW Word 2011.bundle" that appears in the folder "/Applications/Microsoft Office 2011/Office/Startup/Word/".  It still works without it being checked.   - Open Microsoft Word and go to the Endnote toolbar,   main menu --> View --> Toolbars --> Endnote... and click on CWYW preferences.   I disabled Instant Formatting for new documents (not sure if this is necessary). - I also disabled instant formating on my existing documents.   Word --> main menu --> Tools --> Endnote X5 --> Bibliographic settings --> Instant Formating --> Turn Off.   Seems to work so far, good luck.

[View Complete Thread]