"Retrieved from" in bibliography (Thomson Reuters Community Subscription Update)

Search email archive for

"Retrieved from" in bibliography (Thomson Reuters Community Subscription Update)
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Thu, 7 Nov 2013 02:18:56 -0800 (
Subject: "Retrieved from" in bibliography

Hi there,    Wondering if you could please give me a little help.   First things first. I am using a Macbook Pro, have Endnote x7, and am using APA_6th_SCU   Situation is as follows: - Have successfully edited my output style to include the retrieved from function in my bibliography list - Problem is, the words retrieved from  appear regardless of whether or not a URL is listed. For example, consider the following reference, taken directly from endnote:         Creswell, J. W. (2008). Educational research: Planning, conducting, and evaluating quantitative and qualitative research (3rd ed.). New Jersey, USA: Pearson Prentice Hall. Retrieved from:   - It is a hardcopy book, and not retrieved from an online source, nor was a URL included in the creation of this reference, which begs the question why are the words retrieved from still there???   - My question is how do I edit endnote to only include these words when a URL is submitted? In other words, how can I input hardcopy references without the retrieved from tag, whilst still allowing it to appear on those references which include a URL?   Sorry for my roundabout way of explaining - hope that you understand!    (See image for the way I edited the output style)   Thanks, Deisha

Re: "Retrieved from" in bibliography (Thomson Reuters Community Subscription Update)
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Thu, 7 Nov 2013 06:24:37 -0800 (
Subject: Re: "Retrieved from" in bibliography

As always, you can attach the style itself, which can be tweaked and then posted back.    In this case you need to put a | just after the URL and move the | after the word Pages, if you want a full stop to appear after the word pages but not after the URL.  You also need to replace the spaces with "link adjacent" character, which is available from the Insert field dropdown menu.  These appear as tiny centered triangles, but to these old eyes, circles.  So Pages.|*Retrieved*from:*URL where the * are the "link adjacent" characters.   - you don't actually need the ` around the "retrieved from:: unless there is a field with the name.  That is used to distinguish the words from inserting the field itself.  So if you wanted URL: www.abc.com you would need to have |`URL`:*URL| or you would get www.abc.com: www.abc.com   The | is available in the dropdown too, (forced separation) but it is easier to just type it using the keyboard.

Re: "Retrieved from" in bibliography (Thomson Reuters Community Subscription Update)
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Thu, 7 Nov 2013 20:21:25 -0800 (

Thank you Leanne,   I followed your advice, and the problem is now resolved.   I hope you have a great day! Deisha