Changing default email client in EndNote X7 (Thomson Reuters Community Subscription Update)

Search email archive for

Changing default email client in EndNote X7 (Thomson Reuters Community Subscription Update)
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Fri, 8 Nov 2013 06:51:06 -0800 (
Subject: Changing default email client in EndNote X7

I currently use Outlook as my default email client. In EndNote X7 for Mac, when I try to email an attached PDF it says that Mail has to be the default to do so. Is there anyway to change the default mail client in EndNote X7? Thanks.

Re: Changing default email client in EndNote X7 (Thomson Reuters Community Subscription Update)
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 04:59:28 -0800
Subject: Re: Changing default email client in EndNote X7

Anyone know how to do this? Thanks in advance.

Re: Changing default email client in EndNote X7 (Thomson Reuters Community Subscription Update)
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 07:37:31 -0800

It would be a question of setting the default mail client on the Mac to Outlook instead of Mail. You can try these steps:   Open Outlook. Click the Outlook menu > Preferences > General. Click to make Outlook the default. Next, do the same in Mail:   Open the Mail application. Click the Mail menu > Preferences >General. Set Default mail reader to Outlook.

Re: Changing default email client in EndNote X7 (Thomson Reuters Community Subscription Update)
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 08:26:12 -0800

Thanks for the reply. Outlook is set to my default email on my Mac. However, when I try to email an attached PDF file from my endnote it gives the message "This e-mail option requires that Mail be the default e-mail client." Is there a way to change this setting so that it works with Outlook?    I am unfortunately stuck with Outlook due to my work.

Re: Changing default email client in EndNote X7 (Thomson Reuters Community Subscription Update)
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 11:33:26 -0800

I did some additional research on this for you. It appears to be a currently limitation of the software. I apologize for the inconvenience. Even sending an attachment through the operating system may require some manipulation of the Mac OS as you can see in this forum post:   http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mac/forum/macoffice2011-macoutlook/impossible-to-set-outlook-2011-as-default-client/2d501845-1cad-457b-ad8c-45e41d3dd687   You can see a workaround that was provided here:   http://www.officeformachelp.com/2010/11/create-a-service-to-attach-files-to-a-new-outlook-for-mac-mail-message/   You can see additional steps that others have tried here:   http://macmost.com/forum-set-outlook-as-default-mail-client.html   You can certainly try some of the suggestions posted to see if they work for you.   I will be updating the existing request to support using Outlook as the default mail client. You can also share any suggestions here:   http://community.thomsonreuters.com/t5/EndNote-Product-Suggestions/bd-p/en-suggest