editing citations

Search email archive for

editing citations
Author: A L Chua    Posted: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 10:15:00 +0100
Hi,

I'm having problems with editing my citations (am using MSWord XP and
Endnote 6).

1) I open the 'Edit Citation' box to key in page numbers and
prefixes/suffixes. The page numbers appear in the formatted citation
fine but the prefix/suffix never appear at all! What's the problem?

2) I can't locate the citations 'Sort Order' option menu. Can someone
tell me exactly how to find it?

Many thanks for any help you can provide.

----
A.L. Chua

Re: editing citations
Author: Duncan Branley    Posted: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 22:28:31 +0100
--On 04 June 2003 10:15 +0100 "A.L. Chua" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm having problems with editing my citations (am using MSWord XP and
> Endnote 6).
>
> 1) I open the 'Edit Citation' box to key in page numbers and
> prefixes/suffixes. The page numbers appear in the formatted citation
> fine but the prefix/suffix never appear at all! What's the problem?

Check the output style you're using - same section as you'll find the
answer to below. Edit | Output Styles | Citations

> 2) I can't locate the citations 'Sort Order' option menu. Can someone
> tell me exactly how to find it?

Duncan

RE: editing citations
Author: Wiedemann, Leanne    Posted: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 17:41:43 -0500
question 1

There are lots of replies to this question in the archives
see

http://www.researchsoftware.nl/kb/gforum.cgi?post=13186 and
http://www.researchsoftware.nl/kb/gforum.cgi?post=12866

for question 2 -

It is also under the Edit menu, Output style, citation submenu. In endnote,
Go to the Edit menu, (select the style you want to use by ticking the
appropriate style, if listed, or open style manager and finding it) then
Edit "what-ever-the-selected-style-is", in the box, make sure the + sign is
expanded (to a -) by citation, and sort is the last option in that section.

Author: A L Chua    Posted: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 03:40:03 +0100
Thanks a lot, Duncan. I've now solved the Sort Order problem but I still
don't know how to get the prefixes and suffixes to appear in the
footnotes -- can someone provide more details on how to do this?

Thanks,
A.L. Chua

Author: Wiedemann, Leanne    Posted: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 11:49:29 -0500
I need to have further information on what you are trying to do. Footnotes,
citations or bibliography. Give us an example of what you want as output
and in what part of the document.

Author: John East    Posted: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 15:13:17 +1000
>I still
> don't know how to get the prefixes and suffixes to appear in the
> footnotes -- can someone provide more details on how to do this?

Footnote styles do not support the Prefix and Suffix functions. If you wish
to prefix some text to a reference, just type it in the footnote before you
insert the citation.

For suffixes, insert the data in the Pages box using the Edit Citations
command. Depending on how the output style is configured, you may be able to
insert data other than page numbers in the Pages box (for example, volume or
chapter numbers and words such as "passim"). Alternatively, you can type the
suffix text in the footnote after you have inserted the citation, but this
creates problems if the output style is configured to insert a full stop at
the end of each reference.

John East
University of Queensland Library
Email: />