remove double parentheses in citation?

Search email archive for

remove double parentheses in citation?
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 19:57:47 -0800
Subject: remove double parentheses in citation?

Author: JBH (New User)
Date: 01-05-2009 03:57 AM

Hi- I'm using APA citation style. I know how to edit a citation to remove the author and just show the year in parentheses, eg. '...as demonstrated by Smith and colleagues (1987).' Sometimes, however, I want to add a small bit of text within the parentheses with the date, eg. '...impact of these findings (for a review, see Smith et al., 1987).' HOWEVER, when I type this and then insert the citation, I get double parentheses like so:  '...impact of these findings (for a review, see Smith et al., (1987)).' This is not APA acceptable- how do I fix this problem?   Cheers,    JBH