Something I'd like to be able to do in EN

Search email archive for

Something I'd like to be able to do in EN
Author: Leo Bores    Posted: 11/01/2001 15:20:17 GMT
I have a HUGE reference database which I've had to split up since
32 megs seems to be the ceiling in EN. The problem is that when
you do this, the refs get new numbers. That means lots of work
when trying to format documents containing the references you've
moved.

I understand that the numbers are supposed to be unique within
each database but that doesn't seem to be the case between
databases. It would be nice if if imported refs could keep their
original numbers subject to any dupes within the database they're
being imported into. Obviously there's a method within EN to check
against duplicate numbers within a DB.

Could this be done?

On another note. Does anyone know of a grep-like app that would
allow search and replace across many documents like XyWrite
used to? Word only does this within the open document.

Leo D. Bores, M.D.
"Just a retired eye surgeon
Still hacking - but in a
different venue. :)"

RE: Something I'd like to be able to do in EN ... splitting databases
Author: Paul Kristiansen    Posted: 11/01/2001 22:40:22 GMT
Hi Leo,

You could try saving multiple copies of your big database (menu: File > Save
a Copy), then open each one and delete the refs you don't want in that
particular sub-set of the database. That way, all refs will retain their
same original number, and you will just have a lot of unused record numbers,
but they are not important anyway.

EN justs continues numbering from the previous highest *used* record number,
so if you create a database and put in 100 refs, then delete them all, then
add a new one, the new one will be "101", not "1".

Not elegant, but it works for me, hope this helps.

Cheeers
Paul

Paul Kristiansen (working from home...)

HOME
Armidale NSW 2350
Phone/Fax: (02) 6772-0291

WORK
PhD Student
Agronomy & Soil Science
School of Rural Science & Natural Resources
University of New England NSW 2351
AUSTRALIA

Phone: (02) 6773-2962
Fax: (02) 6773-3238

Email:

Visit the Organic Weed Management research project web site:
http://www.une.edu.au/agronomy/weeds/organic/

Re: Something I'd like to be able to do in EN
Author: Tommy W Nordeng    Posted: 12/01/2001 05:48:13 GMT
Leo Bores! On 1/11/01 16:20 you wrote:

> On another note. Does anyone know of a grep-like app that would
> allow search and replace across many documents like XyWrite
> used to? Word only does this within the open document.

Define all your docs as a "site" in BBEdit, and voila, you can do it.

TWN

Re: Something I'd like to be able to do in EN
Author: Leo Bores    Posted: 13/01/2001 05:05:51 GMT
Nice except that I'm on a PC.

> Define all your docs as a "site" in BBEdit, and voila, you can do it.
>
> TWN

Leo D. Bores, M.D.
Medical Research Director
Ophthalmic International, Inc.
voice: 480-837-6810
FAX: 480-837-6870

Re: Something I'd like to be able to do in EN
Author: Peter Castine    Posted: 14/01/2001 12:02:54 GMT
On around Thu, 11 Jan 2001 08:20:17 -0700, "Leo Bores"
said something like:

>On another note. Does anyone know of a grep-like app that would
>allow search and replace across many documents like XyWrite
>used to? Word only does this within the open document.

On Mac: Sherlock, BBEdit (as noted by Tommy W. Nordeng, although there is
no need to make your subdirectory masquerade as a Web Site), the
venerable Speed Search, Metrowerks Code Warrior, ... probably a few more
that I've forgotten. But Sherlock is bundled with the OS particularly for
this very purpose, and will handle pretty much any file format (most of
the other approaches are really only happy with plain text).

On Windoesnt... doesn't Find support this?

Cheers,

Peter (obviously showing his bigotry today, sorry...)

http://www.prz.tu-berlin.de/~pcastine/
To be really mediaeval one should have no body.
To be really modern one should have no soul.
To be really Greek one should have no clothes. -- Oscar Wilde