Thomson Reuters:"Re: and we digress from the original thread!" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription

Search email archive for

Thomson Reuters:"Re: and we digress from the original thread!" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 09:51:40 -0800
Subject: Re: and we digress from the original thread!
Author: teabowl1 (Regular)
Date: 02-09-2012 05:51 PM

Ah yes! I was trying to remember who was the original developer for EndNote. It is Niles Software, as you stated.   Have you ever thought of switching away from EndNote? Over the decade as I come to this forum (under different user names) I remember seeing you around, so perhaps you will be sticking with EndNote. I'm hoping that after this major project I'll switch OUT of EndNote and use something like Sente or some other citation software. EndNote has so many awful quirks in its interaction with Microsoft Word. For example, do you know that in the footnote portion of a Word document we cannot deviate away from the default author-date format defined in the bibliography style? So, if I wanted to write a foot note like:   1 In Miyoshi's (2002) study of Nepalese Buddhists....   We can't do it because the default author-date format for footnote is: Author Year (e.g., Miyoshi 20020). The Prefix and Suffix fields have no effect on a citation in the footnote! So, in order to make a citation in the footnote that looks like the example above, I have to first insert the citation, then format it as hidden text, and then manually type in how the citation should look like. I insert the citation in order to keep it "live" in the bibliography, but I also format it as hidden text in order that the wrong style doesn't show up.   Tell me, isn't that crazy? We're up to EndNote X5 by now! X5 = 15