Basic question about Journal abbreviations

Search email archive for

Basic question about Journal abbreviations
Author: Linda LeMahieu    Posted: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 10:33:42 -0600
There should be an easy answer for this but I'm sure not finding it. I
need to modify a style so that it uses Journal Abbreviations instead of
the full journal title. I have the Journals term list selected and in
my styles I have "Abbreviation 2" selected. When I re-format the bib, the
abbreviations do not appear. I'm trying to help an MD with a manuscript
for a journal article and he needs the abbreviations. The journal he's
publishing in has a preset style (Clinics of North America) but it's
not consistent with how articles really are published in that series so I
have to modify.

Thank you

Linda LeMahieu
Web Services Librarian
Medical College of Wisconsin Libraries
| 414-456-8164
http://www.lib.mcw.edu

RE: Basic question about Journal abbreviations
Author: Wiedemann, Leanne    Posted: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 17:32:09 -0600
In addition to ticking the box, you need to have a journal terms list with
the full and abbreviations of the journals you need. You can import those
from the terms folder in the endnote directory (medical.txt). Let me know if
you need more details.

Author: John East    Posted: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 18:36:10 +1000
> There should be an easy answer for this but I'm sure not finding it. I
> need to modify a style so that it uses Journal Abbreviations instead of
> the full journal title. I have the Journals term list selected and in
> my styles I have "Abbreviation 2" selected. When I re-format the bib, the
> abbreviations do not appear.

Open your Journals term list and check the titles which appear in the
bibliography. Are they in the term list? Is the corresponding abbreviation
in the Abbreviation 2 column? The Journal field in your EndNote reference
must match exactly the data in one of the columns of the term list.

When you imported the Medical term list into the Journals term list, did you
first delete all old entries in the Journals term list? If you have old
entries for the same journal, with no data in the abbreviation columns, the
imported data will not overwrite this. So you end up with the same journal
appearing twice in the term list, and EndNote will use the first occurrence
of the journal (which is the earlier term, without abbreviations).

John East
University of Queensland Library
Email: />

Re:Basic question about Journal abbreviations
Author: Erin Anderson    Posted: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 08:38:20 -0600
Linda LeMahieu,
When you import a reference it usually only brings in the abbreviated
journal title, so it does not match up with a full title in the journal
term list. To fix this I first type in the full title of the journal on the
individual reference, then go into the journal term list (tools) and edit
that specific journal entry so the full title is typed in and matches the
abbreviation, then you can edit your style to use an abbreviation. This has
been a huge problem for me, but as long as you change the titles in the
reference and term list it becomes much easier to use.
Erin Anderson

--
Erin Anderson
Department of Preventive Medicine

Re: Basic question about Journal abbreviations
Author: Ard Jonker    Posted: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 13:09:53 +0100
>Linda LeMahieu,
>When you import a reference it usually only brings in the abbreviated
>journal title, so it does not match up with a full title in the journal
>term list. To fix this I first type in the full title of the journal on the
>individual reference, then go into the journal term list (tools) and edit
>that specific journal entry so the full title is typed in and matches the
>abbreviation, then you can edit your style to use an abbreviation. This has
>been a huge problem for me, but as long as you change the titles in the
>reference and term list it becomes much easier to use.

When EndNote accepts multiple entries, it might be possible to just
accept the various ways journal titles appear in references, and have
the same set of abbreviations for each entry. It does tend to make
the terms list long.
ard

Re: Basic question about Journal abbreviations
Author: John East    Posted: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 16:36:49 +1000
> >When you import a reference it usually only brings in the abbreviated
> >journal title, so it does not match up with a full title in the journal
> >term list. To fix this I first type in the full title of the journal on
the
> >individual reference, then go into the journal term list (tools) and edit
> >that specific journal entry so the full title is typed in and matches the
> >abbreviation, then you can edit your style to use an abbreviation. This
has
> >been a huge problem for me, but as long as you change the titles in the
> >reference and term list it becomes much easier to use.

I think there is a misunderstanding here. EndNote will check the contents of
the Journal field against ALL entries in ALL columns of the journals term
list. So even if you import abbreviated titles from PubMed/Medline, EndNote
will still be able to match them up against the correct entry in the
journals term list.

If your style is configured to take journal titles from the Full Journal
column, then the style will replace the abbreviation with the full title
when it formats the reference. And if your style is configured to take
journal titles from the Abbreviation 2 column, then the style will use that
abbreviation when it formats the reference.

Problems arise when you import references from new journals which are not in
the term list. The automatic updating of the term list will find no match
for the abbreviated title, so it will treat it as a new journal and add it
to the term list, in the Full Journal column. For this reason, we advise
users to disable the automatic updating function. It will also help if you
download the updated medical journals term list from our website at:
http://www.library.uq.edu.au/endnote/medical_update.html

We also have a guide to using medical journal titles with EndNote on our
website at:
http://www.library.uq.edu.au/endnote/medical_journal_titles_5.html