Thomson Reuters:"Re: Endnote X4 Mac & Office 2011 Compatibility?" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription

Search email archive for

Thomson Reuters:"Re: Endnote X4 Mac & Office 2011 Compatibility?" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 09:58:09 -0700
Subject: Re: Endnote X4 Mac & Office 2011 Compatibility?
Author: josephschaeffer (New User)
Date: 07-27-2010 05:58 PM

I second this. Office 2011 looks amazing, and I'd like X4 to work with it.

Thomson Reuters:"Re: Endnote X4 bug report" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 10:57:11 -0700
Subject: Re: Endnote X4 bug report
Author: JasonR (Thomson Reuters)
Date: 07-27-2010 06:57 PM

Clearly this does not sound right so we will have someone investigate and be sure to add this to our internal bug database.   But, if you already had the full text PDF attached to a record, why did you then run the Find Full Text feature and add another copy of the file - was this on purpose?   Jason Rollins, the EndNote team

Thomson Reuters:"Re: EndNote X4 PDF Import" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 13:06:12 -0700
Subject: Re: EndNote X4 PDF Import
Author: ceich (Visitor)
Date: 07-27-2010 09:06 PM

I have had success with the importing. I did some testing with acrobat pro and added some meta data to some pdfs. EndNote is much simpler. It detects the DOI in the text, ignoring the pdf metadata. Most importantly, the computer needs to be connected to the internet for this to work. Also, the source must be in crossref.org.

Thomson Reuters:"Re: Endnote X4 bug report" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 14:52:42 -0700
Author: hinsburg (New User)
Date: 07-27-2010 10:52 PM

Of course I'm not trying to find trouble for myself or trying to look for bugs for you guys. Sometimes I forgot that some of the reference in the whole group already had attachment, or sometimes just for convenience, I just select all of the references in the group, then clicked find the full text. I did NOT expect this is going to happen. Thanks anyway.

Thomson Reuters:"Re: Endnote X2, Endnote Web & Word 2007 - Problem!" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 15:26:09 -0700
Subject: Re: Endnote X2, Endnote Web & Word 2007 - Problem!
Author: JimmyM (Moderator)
Date: 07-27-2010 11:26 PM

Greetings Mike,   1.  I would start troubleshooting this issue by closing all programs.   2.  Once you're looking at your Desktop, bring up the Windows Control Panel.    3.  From the Control Panel, click the "Programs and Features" , or "Uninstall a Program" icon to view a list of installed software.   4.  If you find an EndNote Web entry on this list, remove it.    5.  Select EndNote X2 from the list of installed programs and choose the "Change" command.    6.  After clicking Change, you should have a selectable "Repair" option that you will want to select.   7.  Once EndNote X2 has been repaired, launch Word again.   8.  If Word still shows EndNote Web, click on the EndNote Web tab and choose "Preferences".   9.  From the Preferences window, click the "Application" tab and choose "EndNote" from the Application drop down.     Please let me know if this works for you.   Best Regards, Jimmy M.   Customer Technical Support Representative Scientific Thomson Reuters Phone: +1 800 336 4474 ResearchSoft Product Support thomsonreuters.com

Thomson Reuters:"Re: Endnote X4 bug report" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 16:37:00 -0700
Author: Leanne (Master Guru)
Date: 07-28-2010 12:36 AM

I am unable to reproduce this error (X4, Windows XP).  Either by immediately rerunning the find full text, or by trying to apply it later to the same record.

Thomson Reuters:"Re: Endnote X2, Endnote Web & Word 2007 - Problem!" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 18:08:09 -0700
Author: fitz_m (Enthusiast)
Date: 07-28-2010 02:08 AM

I had the same problem when I downloaded the CWYW/EndNote Web plug-in. After installing, the EndNote/CWYW option was gone from Word. I couldn't toggle between the programs. I have EndNote X4, Windows XP, and Word 2007. A colleague with the same configuration also had the problem.   The problem was resolved after running the repair operation that Jimmy described.    Can this issue be fixed? Or could a disclaimer be posted on the download page that installing the EndNote Web/CWYW package will mess up the EndNote CWYW?

Thomson Reuters:"Re: Endnote X4 bug report" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 19:49:12 -0700
Author: hinsburg (New User)
Date: 07-28-2010 03:49 AM

My system configuration: windows 7, acrobat 9.3.3 with endnote x4. After uninstall endnote x4 and acrobat 9, I run a clean install of acrobat 9.3.3 then endnote x4, this bug still persist. And it did not necessarily happen at the situation i reported at the beginning. For random reason, one record with pdf file attached (Only one pdf file) could be frozen when trying to open it. However, after delete the specific file, reattach it back to the record, it seems working. Right now, I did NOT figure out any specific reason or pattern why this would happen. However, it's pretty annoying since I have NO idea why this would happen and how to end this dilemma. Thanks you guys 4 ur time reading all these. Screenshot attached.

Thomson Reuters:"Re: Endnote X4 bug report" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 20:06:59 -0700
Author: hinsburg (New User)
Date: 07-28-2010 04:06 AM

FYI, I found somebody else may encounter similar situation: (I have some similar situation in this thread that some of my record with attached pdf file will show up as exactly the same as "This URL(\\) could not be launched")   I have plenty of these files and don't wanna to reattach it again, then found it defective some time later. Could you please fix this bug? Thanks.   Screenshot attached.   http://community.thomsonreuters.com/t5/EndNote-General/Endnote-X1-file-attachements-error-quot-This-URL-could-not-be/td-p/531/page/3   Re: Endnote X1 file attachments error - "This URL(\\) could not be launched"  Options Mark as New Bookmark Subscribe    Subscribe to RSS Feed   Highlight Print Email to a Friend Report Inappropriate Content 07-21-2010 05:17 PM Hello,   I am a student and fairly new to EndNote, but I am having this same problem with EndNoteX3 on a Windows 7 machine. I have tried the batch file work-around and I still get the same error message. I have found that if I clear the attached PDF and reattach it, it works just fine (for now...), but I'm not going to manually reattach the PDFs for >300 articles. Does anyone have any thoughts as to why the batch file trick didn't work, or another method for fixing this problem?   Other interesting factoids that might help: 1) Not all my EndNote references are doing this, just the vast majority of them 2) My library is not stored locally on my computer, rather the library and all the PDFs are stored online on DropBox and I have been building this library from my desktop at home and my laptop at school.  3) There does not appear to be a correlation between which computer I was using at the time when I created the reference and which ones give an error message when attempting to open the attached PDFs.     Thanks, -Greg-

Thomson Reuters:"Re: Endnote X2, Endnote Web & Word 2007 - Problem!" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 00:45:49 -0700
Author: mike_thorne (New User)
Date: 07-28-2010 08:45 AM

Hi Everyone,   Thanks for all your help it is now fixed.   I agree that there should be more explanation about the Endnote Web plug-in and it's possible messing up with previous settings especially if you already have Endnote program.   Again, many thanks for your brilliant help. Best wishes, Mike

Thomson Reuters:"Re: Endnote X4 bug report" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 07:07:29 -0700
Author: JasonR (Thomson Reuters)
Date: 07-28-2010 03:07 PM

We have not been able to reproduce this issue internally. We have seen Find Full Text download the same record more than once in rare instances - which it is not supposed to do. So, I have flagged this to be looked at for an upcoming update patch for EndNote X4. But crashing or freezing related to not being able to launch a URL is not something we have seen. Here are a few follow-up questions that might be helpful:   - Do you have more than one PDF reader/viewer application installed? If yes, what are these and do you use them interchangeably? Which is the default?   - Does this problem occur with a certain EndNote library only - or all libraries? Are these libraries stored in a deeply-nested folder on a local hard drive or network drive?   - Does the freezing/crashing issue occur with PDF files that were attached to EndNote records only through the 'Find Full Text' function or with files that have been manually attached, or imported?   Feel free to send answers and/or samples directly to me.   Jason Rollins, the EndNote team   jason [dot] rollins [at] thomsonreuters [dot] com

Thomson Reuters:"Re: Endnote X4 bug report: File and Path name length limitations (PDFs)" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 09:04:59 -0700
Subject: Re: Endnote X4 bug report: File and Path name length limitations (PDFs)
Author: Leanne (Master Guru)
Date: 07-28-2010 05:04 PM

I don't know if this will "fix" files that may be "renamed" by Windows (I think, and not by Endnote), but I suggest you perhaps adjust the folder names to be really short, make your library name really short, avoid putting  the library in any "my document" type folder location which includes a windows path addition with the whole "documents and settings/username" folder structure.  For example, my library is on my H:Library folder.    It is Windows that has a file limitation that includes the path/folder names.  What would help is if Endnote somehow advised the user with an error message that was meaningful to warn that the path is approaching the window filename character limit I guess?

Thomson Reuters:"Re: EndNote formatting question" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 15:07:34 -0700
Subject: Re: EndNote formatting question
Author: Leanne (Master Guru)
Date: 08-02-2010 11:07 PM

What you are seeing is the Endnote citation.  That will be converted (and is converted if CWYW is enabled, from the third tab of the "format bibliography" dialog.  The style will dictate the kind of parentheses and the Author, Year or numbered settings.  You can leave it like it for now (with CWYW off) and see the endnote curly bracketed citations, or turn CWYW on, and each inserted reference will then be instantly converted to the citation format dictated by the output style you have chosen for that manuscript.

Thomson Reuters:"Re: EndNote formatting question" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 17:56:04 -0700
Author: CWBillow (Regular)
Date: 08-03-2010 01:55 AM

Leanne, that' cool!  The big problem I have now is remembering where all these features are!   Regards, Chuck

Thomson Reuters:"Re: EndNote Desktop vs. EndNote Web" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 12:26:14 -0700
Subject: Re: EndNote Desktop vs. EndNote Web
Author: JasonR (Thomson Reuters)
Date: 08-03-2010 08:26 PM

It is very easy to share groups of references with other EndNote Web users. This is clearly described in the Help system. When references are shared, it is clearly indicated in the interface - see the attached EndNote Web screen shot.   I hope this helps.   Jason Rollins, the EndNote team

Thomson Reuters:"Re: EndNote X4 latest release still has limit of 330,000 records" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Sun, 8 Aug 2010 15:09:44 -0700
Subject: Re: EndNote X4 latest release still has limit of 330,000 records
Author: jo (New User)
Date: 08-08-2010 11:09 PM

What is the status of this issue? I have the same problem.

Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 12:50:15 -0700
Author: JasonR (Thomson Reuters)
Date: 08-09-2010 08:50 PM

A fix for this is planned for a free upgrade patch for EndNote X4 for Windows. We plan to have this available sometime this Fall.   Please email me directly if you would like to help to beta test.   Jason Rollins, the EndNote team   jason [dot] rollins [at] thomsonreuters [dot] com

Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 03:18:56 -0700
Author: jo (New User)
Date: 08-10-2010 11:18 AM

That is good to know. Looking forward to the patch and meanwhile have sent you a direct email for beta test help.

Thomson Reuters:"Re: EndNote X4 PDF Import" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 21:44:36 -0700
Author: antoniayiu (Visitor)
Date: 08-11-2010 05:44 AM

I have tried to import the two articles, but to no avail.  So, not sure if it is related to the subscription source.    Our institution subscribes to Molecular Cell via ScienceDirect.   As for Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, we have subscription via PNAS and JSTOR.

Thomson Reuters:"Re: EndNote Output Compared to Word 2010" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 04:11:44 -0700
Subject: Re: EndNote Output Compared to Word 2010
Author: CrazyGecko (Enthusiast)
Date: 08-16-2010 12:11 PM

CWBillow wrote:    Now, I'm no expert in APA, so I hope to rely on the citation software.  But how can I figure out which of these is right, and, if it's changes I need to make in EndNote, where / how do I find the what and where?   There may be differing thought on the subject but - just my opinion -there's always a possibility that citation software will not provide 100% accuracy, especially when it comes to APA style due to the multitude of reference variations.  EndNote's APA 6th style offers a better level of accuracy than the APA 5th but it still helps to know the APA style.   Can't say why the differences occurred in your examples but the latter EndNote version would be the one I'd identify as correct - with perhaps a minor modification regarding the site/retrieval information.  Since John Kennedy authored the speech (Ich bin ein Berliner), list him as the author, followed by the date (BTW, would that be the date he delivered the speech in Berlin?).  Then cite the URL from where the speech was downloaded from. As for the retrieval information, here are some possibilities:   Retrieved from http: //www.historyplace.com/speeches/berliner.htm     [omit  the preceding phrase "The History Place"]   Retrieved from The History Place website at: http: //www.historyplace.com/speeches/berliner.htm     [provide more info which will necessitate modifying the APA 5th output style template]   You'll need to check both the output style (APA 5th) template, and the information in the corresponding reference type record to see they align with each other. The output style determines how the reference appears in MS Word, and the reference type "holds" the corresponding information.    1. To check the output style, go to the EndNote toolbar, select EDIT, OUTPUT STYLES, EDIT APA 5th.    2. WIthin the APA 5th output style (see attached image.gif) locate and click "Templates" (see attached image) to access the various templates.  Locate the template to change then modify the content by using the "Insert Field" menu.    3. A very simple example is shown in the second image and can be adjusted to accommodate other permutations related to the template. (Note how the fields correspond to those in the reference type record.)    4. When you exit the window you will be prompted to save the changes.  Click YES.   Anyway, just some thoughts.

Thomson Reuters:"Re: EndNote Output Compared to Word 2010" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 06:01:46 -0700
Author: Leanne (Mentor)
Date: 08-16-2010 02:01 PM

I would also check that the Ref Type is correctly applied to the record.  That it is a webpage? That information may not be correctly applied during the transfer?

Thomson Reuters:"Re: EndNote Output Compared to Word 2010" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 10:23:26 -0700
Author: CWBillow (Regular)
Date: 08-16-2010 06:23 PM

Hey Crazy...   I'll take a closer look at your Pics and walk through the templates as you've suggested.   Thanks, Chuck

Thomson Reuters:"Re: EndNote Output Compared to Word 2010" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 10:24:54 -0700
Author: CWBillow (Regular)
Date: 08-16-2010 06:24 PM

I'll give that a shot as well, Leanne.   Thanks, Chuck

Thomson Reuters:"Re: Endnote 4 for Mac" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 12:20:46 -0700
Subject: Re: Endnote 4 for Mac
Author: JasonR (Thomson Reuters)
Date: 08-17-2010 08:20 PM

Yes - if you buy EndNote version X3 now you will be eligible for a free upgrade to version X4. You will likely be asked for your proof of purchase.   We hope to have the Macintosh version of X4 out very soon - in the next couple of weeks.   Jason Rollins, the EndNote team

Thomson Reuters:"Re: Endnote 4 for Mac" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 22:02:36 -0700
Author: deangles (New User)
Date: 08-19-2010 06:02 AM

Endnote X3 for Mac only started shipping on August 26, 2009, i.e., less than a year ago.  I received an email in late 2009 stating that Endnote X.x.x, the version I have would not be able to recognize the year 2010 and implied that there would be no future support to make that work. Hence, I bought Endnote X3 upgrade on December 31, 2009. I have yet to install it. If Endnote X4 for Mac begins shipping before August 26, 2010 or soon there after will I have to pay full price again?   Also, will Endnote 4 for Mac be compatible with Microsoft Word 2011 for Mac?

Thomson Reuters:"Re: EndNote X3 Crushes" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 12:26:16 -0700
Subject: Re: EndNote X3 Crushes
Author: Leanne (Mentor)
Date: 08-19-2010 08:26 PM

First try to manually format bibliography, and ensure you are using the output style you think you are using (it will be listed in the dialog box, and you can change it from there, if it isn't the correct one).    Or by reference number, do you mean record number?  -- that is, it isn't "formated"?  In that case you have probably inadvertantly turned off CWYW.  It can be turned on in the format bibliography dialog, from the third tab.

Thomson Reuters:"Re: Endnote web bibliography only gives first initials" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 06:50:20 -0700
Subject: Re: Endnote web bibliography only gives first initials
Author: Leanne (Mentor)
Date: 08-21-2010 02:50 PM

This is most likely a problem with the way your authors are entered into the records.  There needs to be a space between the initials or Endnote doesn't distinguish them from firstnames.

Thomson Reuters:"Re: Endnote web bibliography only gives first initials" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 07:30:26 -0700
Author: rlam (New User)
Date: 08-21-2010 03:30 PM

Thanks very much, Leanne. Yes, the records only had initials, and when I edited the records and put a space between the initials, then they format correctly in a bibliography.   However, I collected these records via the On-Line Search feature, using PubMed (NLM). Does that mean I can't use the on-line search, since it does not seem to collect the records properly? Using the PubMed.gov web site, I was able to save a file and import it correctly into Endnote Web, but it is obviously much more convenient to collect records using the On-Line Search.   Is there a trick to On-Line Search with PubMed that will collect the records properly?   Thanks, Ray.

Thomson Reuters:"Re: Endnote web bibliography only gives first initials" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 09:44:46 -0700
Author: Leanne (Mentor)
Date: 08-21-2010 05:44 PM

I rarely use Endnote Web, but I would be surprised if it imported the author names incorrectly?  EndnoteX4 using the Connect feature correctly downloads the initials with spaces.  Exactly how are you getting the records?

Thomson Reuters:"Re: Endnote web bibliography only gives first initials" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 10:05:47 -0700
Author: rlam (Visitor)
Date: 08-21-2010 06:05 PM

Thanks for your prompt reply, Leanne.   The procedure for using Online Search in Endnote Web appears straightforward, without many "options". Here's how I've been doing it:   1. Select Online Search from Collect tab. 2. Step 1. Select database from pull-down menu (PubMed NLM). Click on Connect. 3. Step 2. Enter keyword (e.g., Lam) and select field from pull-down menu (e.g., Author). Click on Search. 4. Step 3. When the search results come up, check selected records, then select Add to Group from the pull-down menu.  5. Voila, records added to Group and All My References.   However, any record retrieved using the PubMed NLM connect seems to only include author last name and initials, in this format: Lam RW   Any thoughts as to what is happening? I can't imagine why others haven't noticed this issue, unless I am doing something fundamentally wrong.   Regards, Ray.

Thomson Reuters:"Re: Endnote web bibliography only gives first initials" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 12:09:18 -0700
Author: Leanne (Mentor)
Date: 08-21-2010 08:09 PM

Yep - I concur, they are incorrectly imported resulting in the loss of the second and subsequent initials.  I also am surprised it hasn't been noted before!  This is a serious bug for Endnote Web users in my mind.

Thomson Reuters:"Re: EndNote Web - changes to the reference library don't show up my Word 2007 bibliography" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 10:17:28 -0700
Subject: Re: EndNote Web - changes to the reference library don't show up my Word 2007 bibliography
Author: fuhrmanator (Visitor)
Date: 08-22-2010 06:17 PM

I did some experimenting, and learned some more about this problem. It seems to be a design limitation: since references are copied to Word in field codes (rather than using some kind of dynamic link to the EndNote Web database), any changes to the EndNote Web database are difficult to get back to your document transparently.   Again, I'm used to how local Endnote integration works. When I decided to try out EndNote Web, I expected some of these things to work the same way.   There is the "Convert to unformatted citations" feature, but I'm not sure this is a solution with EndNote Web. This takes all field-coded citations (the copies) and converts them to something that looks like a reference to an EndNote library.   However, it's not practical at all. Some citations (which didn't include a name) end up as {, 2009 #137}. Even if I get a name in the unformatted citation, like {Smith, 2008 #254}, when I try to generate the bibliography with the EndNote Word plugin, it doesn't find any of the references. It's searching for the entire text, and EndNote Web doesn't like the #254 or whatever. It does allow me to go through all the references again, re-finding them, which is annoying when all I did was a small change to a single reference.   Regarding the design choice to copy citations into word (as opposed to linking to an EndNote Web library)... Being an IT person, I can see how from a performance perspective, it's better to store copies of references in the Word document. If the EndNote Web site got hit up for information about every citation, every time a user generated a bibliography, there would be a lot of traffic.   However, when that data is no longer consistent (e.g., a change is made in the main database), there should be a solution that works to allow that change to propagate to the bibliography, as it does with an EndNote local database. "Convert to unformatted citations" seems like it could be a solution, but it doesn't easily work.   Any other ideas to solve this problem are welcome. In the mean time, I am going to try a local Endnote database for my next collaboration with a graduate student on a paper. The synchronization of data might be cleaner as follows: EndNote Web <--> EndNote local library <--> Word 2007 document

Thomson Reuters:"Re: Endnote X4 Mac & Office 2011 Compatibility?" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 00:31:36 -0700
Author: cptodd (New User)
Date: 08-24-2010 08:31 AM

This is also something I am concerned about.

Thomson Reuters:"Re: EndNote in OpenOffice for Mac" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 06:45:16 -0700
Subject: Re: EndNote in OpenOffice for Mac
Author: hdinin (New User)
Date: 08-24-2010 02:45 PM

I've been a licensed user of EndNote since v.2   I just received your email for upgrading to X4 (from X3 in my case). One impediment for me in doing so is the dilatory effort at creating this plug-in or driver for OpenOffice, or any other word processor (other than Apple's product) than Microsoft Word. I stopped using Word years ago and I find it a major defect in any product that its use, as a general or generic capability for a task set, is restricted to specific proprietary products from third parties (in this case, two of the largest vendors in this market: Microsoft and Apple). Surely you can make faster progress than you have demonstrated to allow users like me (who are numerous, especially in certain disciplines) use your product most productively with alternative workflow strategies than the so-called de facto "standard"   There is nothing standard about Microsoft Word except for its ubiquity. It's not a question of cost. I already own MS Office for Mac in its current version. The "new" version apparently will not be released until well into 2011, and then I will still avoid it (though I am likely to upgrade, as the utility for legacy documents justifies the small investment). It's a question of quality and product design. There are better word processors for my purposes than Word... I resent that you turn to the needs of users like myself last. I would be paying for the full utility of X4 with the cost of the upgrade, and I would be denied a significant piece of that utility. I know you cannot create a separate price structure depending on how much of the product a user can exploit, so I am left with the choice of spending more for a crippled product, or waiting until you find the resources and motivation to speed along the development cycle.   I think that's a bad choice for both of us, and I think it belies a great deal of the spirit and much of the explicit language you use to tout the power and utility of EndNote. A more precise date by which to expect release of even a beta version of a OpenOffice (or Nisus, or Mellel, or...) driver would be a good start. It's now four months since you wrote your last status message. How about an update?   Thank you.

Thomson Reuters:"Re: EndNote X3 Crushes" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 10:48:36 -0700
Author: SteveH (Moderator)
Date: 08-24-2010 06:48 PM

What is it that you currently see, instead of the formatted citations?   Are you seeing {Author, Year #RecordNumber} ? Are you seeing something else entirely? If it's not {Author, Year #RecordNumber}, then I "definitely" need to know what you're seeing.   If it is...  then it's likely that at some point, the document was unformatted, and Instant Formatting has been turned off. When you use the "Update Citations and Bibliography" command, do those citations update? If that appears to correct the problem, then you simply need to turn Instant Formatting back on. To do so, click the Bibliography Settings button in the EndNote X3 tab in Word. (This should be the Tiny Arrow-Box, to the left of the Bibliography label below the middle section of the ribbon.) In this window, there should be an Instant Formatting tab. In this tab, there should be a "Turn On" button. Clicking this, followed by OK should re-enable the feature.   Thanks! Steve

Thomson Reuters:"Re: Endnote X3 not inputing new citation as a text field - please help!" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 11:55:56 -0700
Subject: Re: Endnote X3 not inputing new citation as a text field - please help!
Author: Leanne (Mentor)
Date: 08-24-2010 07:55 PM

CWYW in Endnote has been disabled.  Run the Format Bibliography tool and on the third tab, select "enable".  It will now automatically update inserted endnote citations.

Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 13:34:16 -0700
Author: tmcconnell (New User)
Date: 08-24-2010 09:34 PM

Brilliant! Its sorted now.   Thanks

Thomson Reuters:"Re: EndNote X3 Crushes" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 16:38:58 -0700
Author: mbogela (New User)
Date: 08-26-2010 12:38 AM

Thank you Steve, You are my savior I am submitting my Thesis after 4 hours and i had almost given up, the suggestion you proposed made every thing good Again. Thank you so much

Thomson Reuters:"Re: Endnote 14, pdf files drag/extract, missing field information" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 11:15:56 -0700
Subject: Re: Endnote 14, pdf files drag/extract, missing field information
Author: medmunds (Thomson Reuters)
Date: 08-26-2010 07:15 PM

Yes, we are investigating a few approaches to improve this process. Your post will help us with that effort.   Mathilda, the EndNote team

Thomson Reuters:"Re: endnote x4 can't open pdf attachments" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 19:02:36 -0700
Subject: Re: endnote x4 can't open pdf attachments
Author: michaelqi (Visitor)
Date: 08-28-2010 03:02 AM

solved. I have also acrobat installed beside adobe reader. I change the .pdf  connection (control pannel->Programs ->default programs) to acrobat, then it works.

Thomson Reuters:"Re: EndNote X4, APA 6th Ed, and a Radio Reference" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 17:54:46 -0700
Subject: Re: EndNote X4, APA 6th Ed, and a Radio Reference
Author: CrazyGecko (Enthusiast)
Date: 08-30-2010 01:54 AM

Unfortunately, APA has more style variations than EndNote can currently accommodate.  So we APA users will need to either modify/create reference types and output styles to fulfill our research needs.    While EndNote does not have a specific reference type for your radio broadcast transcript, you could modify the existing "Film or Broadcast" one to accommodate a radio broadcast.  (I think pages 209-210 of the APA 6th manual regarding audiovisual medium may give you an idea as to the fields needed to create both the EndNote reference template and corresponding output style.) If you anticipate maintaining numerous broadcast transcripts, it might be worthwhile to build a reference type template accommodates the genre by using one of the blank "Unused" templates.    Building or modifying a reference type template also requires that the corresponding output style is adjusted as well, otherwise the in-text citation or bibliography may not conform to the APA style.

Thomson Reuters:"Re: EndNote X4, APA 6th Ed, and a Radio Reference" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 08:03:26 -0700
Author: mhauser (New User)
Date: 08-31-2010 04:03 PM

I appreciate that feedback. Since I have never done anything vaguely resembling that can you make any suggestions about how to proceed.

Thomson Reuters:"Re: EndNote X4, APA 6th Ed, and a Radio Reference" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 09:37:46 -0700
Author: CrazyGecko (Enthusiast)
Date: 08-31-2010 05:37 PM

Could you provide an example of how you want the radio transcript to appear in the bibliography? I'll be better able to give info tailored to your reference.

Thomson Reuters:"Re: Endnote Web user statistics?" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 07:48:08 -0700
Subject: Re: Endnote Web user statistics?
Author: emilyatchemlib (Enthusiast)
Date: 09-01-2010 03:48 PM

Melinda,   Contact your institution's ISI license administrator and request that you be given administrative rights for Endnote usage reports.   1. Create an ISI user login (your email address) and password for ISI Web of Knowledge. Once you have administrative privileges, you will see the Additional Resources tab when you login to your account. 2. Click Additional Resources tab. You will find Single Product Usage Reports under Administrative Tools. Besides usage reports, you will now have the administrative right to uploading custom output styles, filters and connection files for your institution’s Endnote Web site installation. You develop these files in Endnote desktop, then upload them through your Endnote Web account accessed via your ISI Web of Knowledge login and password.   I will send you screen shots off-list to help you communicate your request with your campus administrator.   Emily

Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 06:48:18 -0700
Author: ifImust (New User)
Date: 09-02-2010 02:48 PM

Here is a related "how to automate" question.   I have many records with missing PMCIDs.   How do I go about automatically updating the records with the missing information?   Sure, I can manually look up and enter - too painful.  Do I need to export every record and manipulate them with a scripting language (Python, Pearl, etc)?

Thomson Reuters:"Re: Endnote help" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 11:54:46 -0700
Subject: Re: Endnote help
Author: Leanne (Mentor)
Date: 09-02-2010 07:54 PM

We need a bit more information on what you are seeing.  Operating system, versions of Endnote and word processor.  What do you mean by nothing linked? That they are not "endnote fields" anymore?  that it doesn't go "grey" if you put your cursor in it, and Word "displays" fields as grey when selected in the options?   What if you "unformat citations", do they revert to {Author, year #recno} (in which case they are still linked to your library and you will have to format bibliography to re-enable CWYW from the third tab).    Are you looking for a hyperlink to the bibliography?  That is an option in the "format bibliography" dialog at the bottom of the first tab in ENX4, but this facility was only added in X4 and doesn't exist in earlier versions.

Thomson Reuters:"Re: Endnote help" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 13:19:26 -0700
Author: pith (Visitor)
Date: 09-02-2010 09:19 PM

I got the file back from someone whom I asked to read it. When I got it back none of the citations were linked anymore. I would place my mouse over the (1) and no grey box would appear identifying that the reference was linked to endnote. I click on format bibliography and nothing appears at the bottom because endnote doesn't detect any citations within the word document. If I change the formating style of Endnote withing Microsoft word nothing changes as well. As far as word is concerned I haven't had an endnote citation placed in the word document at all.   Windows 7 Endnote x4   Thanks,   -p

Thomson Reuters:"Re: Endnote help" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 13:30:46 -0700
Author: Leanne (Mentor)
Date: 09-02-2010 09:30 PM

Well, they did something to remove the fields then. Do you have an earlier version, the one you sent to them?  If so, and they made additional changes, then you can unformat the refs in the old version and do a compare.  I can never remember which way around to open the first one and compare to the second one works best, but then it will mark the differences between the two and you will have to move to each difference and decide to keep your Endnote (which might be a reject the change) references and accept or reject their modifications.   I suggest that the next time, you share the unformatted version with them.

Thomson Reuters:"Re: Endnote X4 and Word 2007 on Win 7 really slow" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 14:19:16 -0700
Subject: Re: Endnote X4 and Word 2007 on Win 7 really slow
Author: Leanne (Mentor)
Date: 09-02-2010 10:19 PM

How many output styles did you install?  -- You really should be judicious in your selection.  We stay with about 250, or start with your 5 favorites and then download  them (via the help, Webstyles finder) as you need them.

Thomson Reuters:"Re: Endnote X4 and Word 2007 on Win 7 really slow" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Fri, 3 Sep 2010 05:32:01 -0700
Author: uberbner (New User)
Date: 09-03-2010 01:31 PM

I have only installed 5 different Styles yet, so I don't think thats the reason for my problem :(

Thomson Reuters:"Re: EndNote X2 changes references" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Fri, 3 Sep 2010 08:20:40 -0700
Subject: Re: EndNote X2 changes references
Author: Leanne (Mentor)
Date: 09-03-2010 04:20 PM

This is probably due to a corrupted citation.  Try following the link from this FAQ to clean up the field codes.

Thomson Reuters:"Re: Endnote X4 and Word 2007 on Win 7 really slow" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Sun, 5 Sep 2010 17:57:41 -0700
Author: cobrien (Enthusiast)
Date: 09-06-2010 01:57 AM

What happens if you turn Instant Formatting off and format everything at the end? Does it go any faster?   Cathy

Thomson Reuters:"Re: Endnote X4 and Word 2007 on Win 7 really slow" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Mon, 6 Sep 2010 05:42:41 -0700
Author: painpt (New User)
Date: 09-06-2010 01:42 PM

It seems that Endnote X4 is extremely slow. I use the Mac version and since I have upgraded to X4, the system is dreadfully slow.  I did not change anything else, but it takes much longer to locate and insert any reference.  I am considering un-installing X4 until the company has fixed an obvious bug.

Thomson Reuters:"Re: Endnote X4 CWYW commands missing in Word 2007 on Windows 7 ... Repair did not work" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Mon, 6 Sep 2010 14:46:41 -0700
Subject: Re: Endnote X4 CWYW commands missing in Word 2007 on Windows 7 ... Repair did not work
Author: cobrien (Enthusiast)
Date: 09-06-2010 10:46 PM

Copying some of CrazyGecko's post in the below thread (with a slight adjustion for Word 2007):  :smileyhappy:   Did you check  Word 2010's "add-ins"?  The CWYW toolbar may not be displayed in Word 2010 because the add-in was not activated in Word.   1.  Go to the Word 2007 toolbar, click on the Office Button, Word Options, then ADD-INS.   2. View  the Add-in's "Inactive Application Add-ins" section for the "EndNote Cite While You Write" add-in file.   3. Click to highlight the "EndNote Cite While You Write" add-in file, then at the bottom of the screen where it says "Manage", confirm that "COM Add-Ins" is listed then click the GO button, then click OK.    4. Close Word Options window and return to the Word document.  If the EndNote toolbar does not appear, close Word then reopen the program.

Thomson Reuters:"Re: EndNote X2 changes references" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Tue, 7 Sep 2010 08:18:20 -0700
Author: jlneufeld (Visitor)
Date: 09-07-2010 04:18 PM

I've gone through the steps of unformatting, stripping out the codes, and copying to a new document. After reformatting, this does seem to work. However, the false references that have been inserted is not a simple shift. It seems to be much more random than that. For the other paper that was affected, to get the correct references, I see no alternative to going through hundreds of references and redoing them. I do keep backups of my files, but I don't know when this problem first arose. I would have needed to have kept multiple versions to have been able to have had a record of the correct references.   This remains about the worst thing I can imagine this program having done. I wish I knew what had triggered the problem. Was it something I could possibly have been aware of? If the problem is a corrupted citation, then couldn't EndNote provide a utility that would be capable of checking the citations and informing the user of a corrupt citation? I never entered a citation manually; I always used CWYW to insert citations, and I had automatic formatting turned on.   I've used EndNote for many years and loved it. I hope the people developing this program will address this serious bug. At the very least, users should be warned of the possibility of this happening.

Thomson Reuters:"Re: EndNote X2 changes references" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Tue, 7 Sep 2010 08:29:20 -0700
Author: Leanne (Mentor)
Date: 09-07-2010 04:29 PM

When you unformat the references, are the curly bracketed versions correct, or incorrect?    Are there any that don't get reverted?  (which would suggest that was the corrupted citation).    I have never heard of a "random" change.   Check your private messages here.

Thomson Reuters:"Re: EndNote X2 changes references" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 07:20:54 -0700
Author: jlneufeld (Visitor)
Date: 09-09-2010 03:20 PM

This probably should be obvious, but I can't figure out how to view private messages. I've seen other posting referring to a private messages tab, but I can't find that tab.   I did find a reference missing a closing curly bracket, which I corrected. I have been going through my notes one at a time trying to fix them; I've only made it through a few of the many that appear messed up. In one case, there was a set of references I had created by using "insert" in the "edit citations" window. They were in the correct location, but the entire set had been duplicated. In another case, the reference was correct but the page number was not. The page number that was shown was incorrect; in fact, it was out of the possible range of page numbers for this reference. I have not found a case where I had put in a reference with the same incorrect page number. Certainly it wasn't in the next few references in my paper. Many of the incorrect references are not simply followed (or preceded) by the correct reference. I did find one place where there correct reference was several references later. I downloaded the Word file containing a macro that was supposed to fix the shifts. It not only did not shift the references, it altered the formatting of the paper including apparently inserting unprintable characters. Perhaps this has something to do with the fact my references are in footnotes?

Thomson Reuters:"Re: EndNote X2 changes references" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 07:35:46 -0700
Author: Leanne (Mentor)
Date: 09-09-2010 03:35 PM

There is a little tiny grey "envelope" under the words "go to" or Search in the upper right hand corner of the browser window?  (it should say something like "1 message" under it if you have a private message there).

Thomson Reuters:"Re: EndNote in OpenOffice for Mac" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 19:27:55 -0700
Author: marcoilduce (New User)
Date: 09-10-2010 03:27 AM

I would have to agree. I love Open Office 3 and have migrated my research, business, and other tasks over to it. i cannot explain why the plug in for Cite While You Write is so difficult to make for Mac as opposed to the Windows version? That makes no sense what-so-ever. Of course I can't understand why the Endnote version for Windows has more or less features of the Mac version, why not make them both the same?

Thomson Reuters:"Re: endnote is showing duplicate references when they aren't in my library,help ...!" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 08:00:35 -0700
Subject: Re: endnote is showing duplicate references when they aren't in my library,help ...!
Author: Leanne (Mentor)
Date: 09-10-2010 04:00 PM

What version of Endnote are you (and the collaborator) using?    Check that your Preferences are set to "merge duplicates" in the Edit>preferences>formating options.   If you aren't sure if there are references in the paper, that you don't have in your library, export the travelling library to a new library.  Make a copy of the manuscript.  On the copy, Unformat the bibliography, and then reformat the bibliography, with just your library open.  If there are any refs that aren't in your library you can retrieve them from the library you exported the travelling library to.  Depending on the version of Endnote, you may have to reassociate the references that were inserted by someone else from a different library, but they will probably match those in your library and be easy to reselect.   Re-enable CWYW from the third tab of the "format bibliography" dialog.

Thomson Reuters:"Re: Endnote X2 on Mac OS 10.5" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 13:50:55 -0700
Subject: Re: Endnote X2 on Mac OS 10.5
Author: redswisschard (New User)
Date: 09-10-2010 09:50 PM

I'm having the same problem with MS Word 2008, Mac OS 10.6, and EndNote X3. I already have at least a dozen references in my table, and suddenly I can't format my library because of this error. I want to pull my hair out. I've tried deleting .plist files as suggested elsewhere; I've also read it might be useful to turn off text-wrapping (which seems a nontrivial sacrifice--I can't submit this paper without text-wrapping in the table). EndNote is my least favorite software.

Thomson Reuters:"Re: Endnote X2 on Mac OS 10.5" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 13:53:25 -0700
Author: redswisschard (New User)
Date: 09-10-2010 09:53 PM

I went to Table > Properties  and set text-wrapping to "None." Problem pseudo-solved. Thomson Reuters should fix this.

Thomson Reuters:"Re: EndNoteWeb / EndnoteX2 vs Word" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 13:36:06 -0700
Subject: Re: EndNoteWeb / EndnoteX2 vs Word
Author: medmunds (Thomson Reuters)
Date: 09-14-2010 09:36 PM

In your Cite While You Write preferences, you should see an Application tab. On that tab, you can change the source application from EndNote Web to EndNote.   Hope that helps.    - Mathilda, the EndNote team

Thomson Reuters:"Re: Endnote Web user statistics?" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 21:43:24 -0700
Author: mgoodin (Enthusiast)
Date: 09-15-2010 05:43 AM

Thank you Emily, that was exactly what I needed.   Melinda

Thomson Reuters:"Re: EndNoteWeb / EndnoteX2 vs Word 2003" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 05:42:14 -0700
Subject: Re: EndNoteWeb / EndnoteX2 vs Word 2003
Author: Leanne (Mentor)
Date: 09-17-2010 01:42 PM

I think it is one or the other.  See this FAQ?

Thomson Reuters:"Re: Endnote x2 Capitalization when Importing Citations" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 17:03:26 -0700
Subject: Re: Endnote x2 Capitalization when Importing Citations
Author: CrazyGecko (Enthusiast)
Date: 09-18-2010 01:03 AM

You can change title capitalization by modifying the import filter. You don't mention the filter you're using but here are some general instructions:   1. Go to the EndNote toolbar, select EDIT, IMPORT FILTERS, EDIT [name of filter].  This will display the filter's options.   2. In the left column, locate and click to select FIELD EDITING. This will display the Field Editing Options.   3. Use the pull-down menu to select the desired field (e.g., Title), then select the desired format (e.g., Sentence).   4. Close the import filter's window. You will be prompted to save the changes so click YES.  You will then be asked to save the filter which will add the word "Copy" to the file name unless you manually change it.  If you elect to save the file as a "Copy",  remember to use this import file (not the original).

Thomson Reuters:"Re: Endnote X2 crashes on delete entry" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 19:42:15 -0700
Subject: Re: Endnote X2 crashes on delete entry
Author: bharmer (New User)
Date: 09-20-2010 03:42 AM

Was there ever a solution to this? It happens to me regularly. I can send the library if it helps.

Thomson Reuters:"Re: Endnote puts 'translated from eng' for each reference" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 10:17:36 -0700
Subject: Re: Endnote puts 'translated from eng' for each reference
Author: Leanne (Mentor)
Date: 09-21-2010 06:17 PM

 Is this text in your records? and if so, it is in a field that is being used by your style?  To solve it,  you can edit your library to remove any instance of "translated from eng" and "in eng" which the style is inserting or you can edit the style to eliminate the field that contains that information.    Where did you download the records from?    What style are you using?   If it is in the style, you can attach the style here and someone can edit it for you.    Or you can chose a different style which doesn't contain that field.

Thomson Reuters:"Re: Endnote X4 and Word 2007 on Win 7 really slow" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 21:32:55 -0700
Author: StephenB (New User)
Date: 09-22-2010 05:32 AM

I've got a similar issue here - Windows 7 x64, Word 2007, Endnote X4.   I've got a document with several tables in it (hardly any text), just under 200 references. Addding/changing/deleting a reference locks up Word and Endnote for about 10-20 seconds.

Thomson Reuters:"Re: Endnote X4 and Word 2007 on Win 7 really slow" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 14:41:55 -0700
Author: edodge (New User)
Date: 09-22-2010 10:41 PM

I was inserting references into a book, and when I got to over 200, each new insertion took longer and longer. At ~550 references inserted, the wait time was about 50-70 seconds.   I'm running Word 2007 and EndNote x4 on Windows XP.   I read several forum posts and websites that referred to EndNote x3 and had no luck turning off the automatic formatting of citations.   It seems the way to reach this option has moved or been renamed since EndNote x3, or I was just having trouble finding it. Not giving up though, I hunted around some more and clicked on the "Convert Citations and Bibliography" option on the EndNote ribbon in Word 2007 and chose from the drop-down menu "Convert to Unformatted Citations". Now my insertions are instantaneous because Endnote places the tagged reference into Word instead of formatting it with my chosen style. I will format once the references are all inserted and the bibliography needs to be created.   I hope this helps others who are having trouble.   Additionally, I've read that EndNote x4 is not yet compatible with 64-bit Windows 7, so this may not be a solution to that particular problem.

Thomson Reuters:"Re: Endnote X4 Mac & Office 2011 Compatibility?" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 11:26:37 -0700
Author: TXCiclista (Regular)
Date: 09-24-2010 07:26 PM

Testing it on the Beta 6 version of 2011, Endnote X4 does not work. Way to go Reuters. :P

Thomson Reuters:"Re: Endnote X4 vs Endnote Web." - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 07:37:57 -0700
Subject: Re: Endnote X4 vs Endnote Web.
Author: Leanne (Mentor)
Date: 09-29-2010 03:37 PM

I suggest you consult this online training module, especially the collaboration section. It takes you thru the steps.

Thomson Reuters:"Re: EndNote X4 CWYW for Office 2011 for Macintosh" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 07:28:29 -0700
Subject: Re: EndNote X4 CWYW for Office 2011 for Macintosh
Author: JasonR (Thomson Reuters)
Date: 09-30-2010 03:28 PM

A few things here:   First, there are many products that compete with EndNote and we understand and appreciate that our customers could easily choose one of these alternatives.   Second, in our long history working with Microsoft Word, we have found that we need to wait for their release candidate of new versions before we can finish our development work for updates to the EndNote Cite While You Write plug-in. This takes time. CWYW is made up of millions of lines of code that need to be carefully updated and tested to verify that it is going to work with the new APIs and architecture of any new version of Word. Why Microsoft needs to make such drastic changes to their plug-in architecture with each new version of Word is another question that we cannot answer or control.   Third, as soon as we have beta versions of the update available we will let everyone know and would welcome any input and help in testing these.   Jason Rollins, the EndNote team

Thomson Reuters:"Re: EndNote X4 CWYW for Office 2011 for Macintosh" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 08:57:22 -0700
Author: TXCiclista (Regular)
Date: 10-01-2010 04:57 PM

I will be happy to help test the X4 beta with Word 2011 (feel free to contact me via the e-mail associated with this account), but I am also a bit surprised to learn of such a long lead time.

Thomson Reuters:"Re: EndNote X4 CWYW for Office 2011 for Macintosh" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 10:14:00 -0700
Author: brzmunky (New User)
Date: 10-01-2010 06:13 PM

I would also like to be a beta tester.  I currently have endnote4 and Mac Office 2011 through my university. Any chance I can help test.  I need EndNote to work with Word.

Thomson Reuters:"Re: EndNote X4 CWYW for Office 2011 for Macintosh" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 12:17:30 -0700
Author: jsmarch (New User)
Date: 10-01-2010 08:17 PM

Please add me to the beta program.  I've used EndNote since early 90s and need Mac 2011 capability ASAP to complete work on a wide variety of academic documents.     John S. March, MD, MPH Director, Division of Neurosciences Medicine Duke Clinical Research Institute www.dcri.duke.edu www.captn.org

Thomson Reuters:"Re: EndNote X4 CWYW for Office 2011 for Macintosh" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 14:40:50 -0700
Author: deangles (New User)
Date: 10-01-2010 10:40 PM

  JasonR wrote: "...we have found that we need to wait for their release candidate of new versions before we can finish our development work for updates to the EndNote Cite While You Write plug-in.  ...as soon as we have beta versions of the update available we will let everyone know and would welcome any input and help in testing these."   Microsoft has had several beta version. In fact OFM 2011 went "gold" on September 10, 2010. That is they released the Golden Master aka for manufacturing the CD or DVD. See announcement. So, why is TR still waiting for a beta version?

Thomson Reuters:"Re: Endnote 4 for Mac" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 14:46:00 -0700
Author: deangles (New User)
Date: 10-01-2010 10:45 PM

Bump. Anyone care to respond?

Thomson Reuters:"Re: Endnote 4 for Mac" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 15:23:30 -0700
Author: Leanne (Mentor)
Date: 10-01-2010 11:23 PM

Just as another user:   Yes, I suspect  that you will have to pay the upgrade price, if you bought X3 in December. Upgrades come out about once a year and the window for getting one automatically varies, but you can always ask.   I doubt that you can count on Endnote4 being compatible with 2011as I think  only X1 and later are compatible with Word2008.    On the otherhand, Thomson has said that X4 will have a free patch to ensure compatiblilty with word2011, (eventually) and if you like, you can volunteer to beta test it, if you have X4.

Thomson Reuters:"Re: Endnote 4 for Mac" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 15:51:40 -0700
Author: deangles (New User)
Date: 10-01-2010 11:51 PM

Thanks Leanne!   Multiple cost upgrades within a year is too costly, especially for some students and subjective as to the value of "new features" versus bug fixes and platform compatibility.  The news announcment by Thomson Reuters about the release of Endnote X4 for Mac in August 2010 did not state anything about free upgrades if X3 was purchase between a certain timeframe. I sent them a message and I got confirmation that they received my inquiry but they did not answer the question.   As for compatibiity with Office for Mac 2011, there's a new discussion at http://community.thomsonreuters.com/t5/EndNote-General/Currently-no-support-in-Endnote-X4-for-Office-2011-for-Mac/m-p/13032#M4153 It will be interesting to see when TR decides to make any version of EndNote for Mac compatible with Word for Mac. My understanding is that Zotero 2.x works fine Word for Mac 2011. :smileyhappy:

Thomson Reuters:"Re: Endnote 4 for Mac" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Sat, 2 Oct 2010 07:49:10 -0700
Author: Leanne (Mentor)
Date: 10-02-2010 03:49 PM

I understand the cost implications of being a student and not being able to afford to upgrade every year.  Our institution doesn't  upgrade anysoftware everytime there is a new release, Endnote or Microsoft for that matter!!    --but I still fail to see why, if one is willing to pay to upgrade to a new version of Microsoft Office, you wouldn't expect to pay for the new version of Add-on software like Endnote which is so integrated into it?  Why, because Microsoft changes its interface so significantly that it doesn't work with existing software, should Endnote developers have to eat the cost of producing a new version of their software to maintain compatibility?   It obviously isn't a quick fix, or they would have it out there within a few weeks! (which is the other side of the coin, that users complain about - you can't upgrade due to cost, they can't get a compatible upgrade cause it isn't yet available - but that is another thread!)

Thomson Reuters:"Re: EndNote X4 CWYW for Office 2011 for Macintosh" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Sat, 2 Oct 2010 09:51:32 -0700
Author: brzmunky (New User)
Date: 10-02-2010 05:51 PM

To Deangles,   I don't think they are waiting for a beta at this point.  If you look at when that was posted it was in April.  It is likely that they are already working on the update.

Thomson Reuters:"Re: endnote x4 can't open pdf attachments" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Mon, 4 Oct 2010 07:57:30 -0700
Author: oliverc (New User)
Date: 10-04-2010 03:57 PM

Hi   I'm having the same problem but don't have Acrobat - only Adobe reader. Any other ways of  sorting this out?

Thomson Reuters:"Re: endnote x4 can't open pdf attachments" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Mon, 4 Oct 2010 17:19:01 -0700
Author: Leanne (Mentor)
Date: 10-05-2010 01:18 AM

First I would check whether it appears that the total file name with the entire path is very long.  Note that the file name is also used as the folder name, so if it is also deep in the folder hierarchy, you can end up with a total filename that excedes the Windows file name limit of something like 250 characters.

Thomson Reuters:"Re: endnote x4 can't open pdf attachments" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 11:31:21 -0700
Author: Leanne (Mentor)
Date: 10-05-2010 07:31 PM

Oh, yes.  Have you updated to the 4.01 version of X4?  I think there was a bug fix that affected the ablility of endnote to open PDFs on a network drive?

Thomson Reuters:"Re: endnote x4 can't open pdf attachments" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 21:08:40 -0700
Author: bangaw2341 (New User)
Date: 10-06-2010 05:08 AM

halu..can i ask something about this?

Thomson Reuters:"Re: endnote x4 can't open pdf attachments" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Fri, 8 Oct 2010 01:42:11 -0700
Author: oliverc (New User)
Date: 10-08-2010 09:42 AM

I think I solved it.   Firstly I got the upgrade to 4.0.1, although had to do this from the website rather than from within EndNote.   Then, when I tried to attach a reference I unchecked the box "copy this file to the default attachment folder and create a relative link"   When I didn't have this box checked, I was able to open an attached pdf. Funny thing is, now the box is checked again and I am therefore using the copy function, it still works. Problem completely solved.   So in summary, upgrade, then experiment with checking and unchecking that box.

Thomson Reuters:"Re: Endnote inserting an unwanted heading into word document" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Fri, 8 Oct 2010 06:24:20 -0700
Subject: Re: Endnote inserting an unwanted heading into word document
Author: Leanne (Mentor)
Date: 10-08-2010 02:24 PM

If you "format bibliography" and go to the layout tab, there is a section to insert a title for the bibliography.  I never use it and don't like it.  Too little control over what it looks like and where it goes.    Delete it there and reformat and it should disappear.

Thomson Reuters:"Re: Endnote inserting an unwanted heading into word document" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Fri, 8 Oct 2010 07:18:40 -0700
Author: mjam (New User)
Date: 10-08-2010 03:18 PM

Is that under Edit / Output Styles / Edit [style name] ... then down the bar on the side Bibliography / Layout.   I have checked down that route but it only seems to have options here for "start/end each reference with..." and hanging indents. Am I looking in the right place?

Thomson Reuters:"Re: Endnote inserting an unwanted heading into word document" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Fri, 8 Oct 2010 07:42:20 -0700
Author: Leanne (Mentor)
Date: 10-08-2010 03:42 PM

No - it is in word, the endnote tool "format Bibliography" tool--   for futher instructions, check ou the help in endnote:   Format Bibliography command> word which describes how to access it for each version of word.    that help file starts:   Word 2003 : From the Tools menu in Word, go to the EndNote X4 submenu and select Format Bibliography. Word 2007and 2010 : On the EndNote tab, in the Bibliography group, click the bottom corner arrow.

Thomson Reuters:"Re: EndNote X4, APA 6th Ed, and a Radio Reference" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Sat, 9 Oct 2010 02:30:50 -0700
Author: hdaoeirytwu (New User)
Date: 10-09-2010 10:30 AM

After finalizing my talent build and making sure everything was properly trained, I headed to Final Fantasy GiStormwind, where a message board in the trade district eventually led me on a flight to Mount Hyjal and the first few quests of my new RuneScape Gold career. The first thing I noticed as I started laying into RuneScape Gold mobs is that I'm missing the extra health-stealing on the old Blood Presence a lot more than I thought I would to Buy WOW Gold. I found myself using food and bandages a whole lot of RS Gold more than I currently do while doing dailies on live servers, for certain.

Thomson Reuters:"Re: Endnote does not update bibliography....HELP!" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Sat, 9 Oct 2010 05:01:20 -0700
Subject: Re: Endnote does not update bibliography....HELP!
Author: Leanne (Mentor)
Date: 10-09-2010 01:01 PM

See the links in this previous thread for the Endnote mechanisms to handle Journal Abbreviations.

Thomson Reuters:"Re: EndNote X4 CWYW for Office 2011 for Macintosh" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Sat, 9 Oct 2010 09:40:00 -0700
Author: jasond (New User)
Date: 10-09-2010 05:39 PM

I'll try to be a helpful beta tester if you can include me.  Thanks.

Thomson Reuters:"Re: Endnote X2 with Word 2007 gibberish" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 15:51:22 -0700
Subject: Re: Endnote X2 with Word 2007 gibberish
Author: cobrien (Enthusiast)
Date: 10-10-2010 11:51 PM

When you say gibberish do you mean it looks like this?   {ADDIN EN.CITE>EndNote<>Cite<>Author<>Year<>1992< >RecNum<>6<>Rec Num<>record<>rec-number<>6> /rec-number<>keyen=EN...   If so, you've inadvertently turned on your field codes. Just hold down the ALT key and hit the F9 function key and it should revert to normal.   Cathy

Thomson Reuters:"Re: Endnote X2 extremely long delay when inserting first citation inot Word 2007" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 20:30:21 -0700
Subject: Re: Endnote X2 extremely long delay when inserting first citation inot Word 2007
Author: jasmine (New User)
Date: 10-11-2010 04:30 AM

Hi I saw your reply. can you help me please? I have Endnote X2 and a Mac laptop with Word 2004. Since putting my separate word document chapters into 1 document I have to wait minutes when entering a new reference from Endnote.  It appears that the whole document is repaginating. It is 15mg file with small jpeg images. It is so slow!! Can you help

Thomson Reuters:"Re: Endnote inserting an unwanted heading into word document" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 00:37:20 -0700
Author: mjam (New User)
Date: 10-11-2010 08:37 AM

Found it! Brilliant  - thank you!

Thomson Reuters:"Re: Endnote X4 Mac & Office 2011 Compatibility?" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 15:53:20 -0700
Author: nintiblue (New User)
Date: 10-11-2010 11:53 PM

As a long standing Research Academic, I too require that this issue is settled early and on time with Mac Office 2011 release.   Surely skilled and competent software developers with/at Thomson Reuter would always assure their products are released with correctly coded apps that work on Mac OS X and Mac Office 2011 as timely and as correctly as versions released for Windows.  Surely?

Thomson Reuters:"Re: EndNote X4 for Mac and Word for Mac 2008" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 11:26:42 -0700
Subject: Re: EndNote X4 for Mac and Word for Mac 2008
Author: RMansfield (New User)
Date: 10-12-2010 07:26 PM

I had the same initial problem. This occurs if you do not properly uninstall Endnote X3 before your upgrade to X4.

Thomson Reuters:"Re: EndNote X4 CWYW for Office 2011 for Macintosh" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 11:29:50 -0700
Author: RMansfield (New User)
Date: 10-12-2010 07:29 PM

Here's some good news.   I've confirmed with Nadyne Richmond who works for the Microsoft Mac Business Unit that Office 2008 & 2011 can co-exist on the same computer. Therefore, I will update to Office on Oct 26 as planned, keeping both versions on my Mac. If I have to use Endnote, I'll use Word 2008. For everything else, I'll use Word 2011.   Nevertheless, hurry up, Thomson Reuters!

Thomson Reuters:"Re: endnote 8 format xml" - 1 New Post - Community Subscription
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 12:50:02 -0700
Subject: Re: endnote 8 format xml
Author: Leanne (Mentor)
Date: 10-25-2010 08:49 PM

Endnote 8?  I can't remember that far back!  (obviously of a certain age).    Can you elaborate though.  I am not sure I understand what is happening. Can you walk thru the menu steps you are using?