Re: Corrupt word document??

Search email archive for

Re: Corrupt word document??
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 08:23:23 -0700
Subject: Re: Corrupt word document??

Author: wizzi_100 (New User)
Date: 04-02-2009 04:23 PM

I don't know if anyone is still looking at this thread, but I have experienced the same problem with a corrupt word file.  I have tried de-formatting, and converting to RTF format to delete the corruption, but still can't format my references.   Does anyone know the solution to this?

Re: Corrupt word document??
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 18:20:49 -0700

Author: Leanne (Guru)
Date: 04-03-2009 02:20 AM

Always watching these threads!  what happens if you altF9?  Are there imbedded references that won't unformat (the endnote references will look like EN.CITE and a bunch of gibberish) ver of word, OS and version?  ver of endnote?  Have you changed OS, or Word or Endnote versions?   Did you try (on a copy) unlinking the fields?    this Faq: http://www.library.uq.edu.au/faqs/endnote/cleaning_field_codes.html   and this Faq: http://www.endnote.com/support/faqs/CWYW/faq22.asp   You might also look at this thread: http://community.thomsonreuters.com/ts/board/message?board.id=en-general&message.id=1679

Re: Corrupt word document??
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 19:24:51 -0700

Author: lisadmh (Regular)
Date: 04-03-2009 03:24 AM

I ended up having to redo most of the references in the document. Apparently running Endnote X on vista is a recipe for disaster. I went to tech support on campus and told him I was having problems with Endnote X and Vista and he just shook his head and told me to upgrade to X2. I took his advice and it's been smooth sailing ever since. Sorry, but that's the only solution I found.

Re: Corrupt word document??
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 02:28:46 -0700

Author: wizzi_100 (New User)
Date: 04-03-2009 10:28 AM

I've got Windows XP, Word2007 and the latest version of cite while you write, which I've tried re-installing. I don't have endnote, I only use endnoteweb.   I tried clearing the field codes (ctrl+9 and shift+F9), and it still didn't work.  I then saved it as an RTF format, found where it was showing the load of jibberish, deleted it, and saved it back as a word document and it still didn't work.   I've since sent it to tech support, and they managed to format the whole thing on their computers, using my file and my log in details, so they think it must be something to do with my firewalls etc.   Except I can format other documents, and even the corrupt document if I split it into two sections.   The only thing I can think of is that it started at about the same time I came home from uni for the easter holidays, so obviously different internet connection.  I have a week before the deadline after going back to university, so worst comes to the worst if it doesn't format itself when I go back, I think I will just have to re-write it all.   Unless anyone else can make sense of it!