Re: email pdf's from inside Endnote?

Search email archive for

Re: email pdf's from inside Endnote?
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 07:09:35 -0700
Subject: Re: email pdf's from inside Endnote?

Author: Leanne (Guru)
Date: 04-01-2009 03:09 PM

Not in current versions, but since Endnote X, the relatively linked PDFs are stored in a pretty transparent way based either on the title you originally gave to the PDF, or to the "Author-YEAR-beginning of title-some number" if the file was downloaded automatically , so you should be able to navigate to the correct folder and email it directly, pretty easily.  (remembering to not violate any copyright)

Re: email pdf's from inside Endnote?
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 07:35:55 -0700

Author: myoshigi (Maven)
Date: 04-01-2009 03:35 PM

I need to do that often, and I do it this way.   Make links to full text PDF files (using either Attachment field or URL field - point of divergence). Select articles I want to send to other people (or students), by ctrl-click. In my case (using URL field), open link command (ctrl+G), which opens all the PDF files (better to stay less than 10 articles). From "File menu in Acrobat", choose email command, which should bring up e-mail program (like Outlook). Attachement is already there, if you use Outlook. Choose recipients and type brief message. Do the same thing (copy recipients mail address, and paste in) for other articles.   I usually do this in a couple of minutes to send 5-10 articles to 3-4 people. Not a big job.

Re: email pdf's from inside Endnote?
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 09:51:52 -0700

Author: jmarks (New User)
Date: 04-01-2009 05:51 PM

myoshigi wrote: I need to do that often, and I do it this way.   Make links to full text PDF files (using either Attachment field or URL field - point of divergence). Select articles I want to send to other people (or students), by ctrl-click. In my case (using URL field), open link command (ctrl+G), which opens all the PDF files (better to stay less than 10 articles). >From "File menu in Acrobat", choose email command, which should bring up e-mail program (like Outlook). Attachement is already there, if you use Outlook. Choose recipients and type brief message. Do the same thing (copy recipients mail address, and paste in) for other articles.   I usually do this in a couple of minutes to send 5-10 articles to 3-4 people. Not a big job. Thanks for the fast reponses! So the workaround is to leverage the ability of Acrobat to send an open file to Outlook as an attachment. Nice! If I want to send 3 articles to one person, this way I need to send 3 emails, right?   Sure would be nice for Endnote to get this done by talking directly to Outlook in a future release .   Now if only Endnote could run under Linux via Cross Over Windows. (But that's a topic for another post.) thanks to all.

Re: email pdf's from inside Endnote?
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 10:01:03 -0700

Author: JasonR (Thomson Reuters)
Date: 04-01-2009 06:00 PM

EndNote does "talk" directly to Outlook through the Compressed Library > Create and Email... function. This is designed to automatically email EndNote references and their associated attachments - not just the attachments.   Also, there are some Linux-related options discussed here:   http://community.thomsonreuters.com/ts/board/message?board.id=en-howto&message.id=1043&query.id=5127#M1043   Jason Rollins, the EndNote team

Re: email pdf's from inside Endnote?
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 10:15:14 -0700

Author: jmarks (New User)
Date: 04-01-2009 06:15 PM

JasonR wrote: EndNote does "talk" directly to Outlook through the Compressed Library > Create and Email... function. This is designed to automatically email EndNote references and their associated attachments - not just the attachments.   Also, there are some Linux-related options discussed here:   http://community.thomsonreuters.com/ts/board/message?board.id=en-howto&message.id=1043&query.id=5127#M1043   Jason Rollins, the EndNote team The ability of Endnote to talk directly to Outlook will, I hope, make adding the ability to email full text references  easier for a future release.   Alas, I am well aware of the Linux discussions (but thank you very much for taking the trouble to point me to them).   Until CWYW functionality with Word (or Open Office) is supported under Cross Over Windows/WINE (and this won't happen without lots of input to the Codeweavers folks from Endnote users who wish to move to Linux),  Endnote under Linux simply doesn't have the functionality to make it useful under Linux.