Re: Linux related questions -- Font / Coding Problem with EndNote X1 on Linux (Ubuntu 8.04/wine 1.1.19)

Search email archive for

Re: Linux related questions -- Font / Coding Problem with EndNote X1 on Linux (Ubuntu 8.04/wine 1.1.19)
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 09:08:49 -0700
Subject: Re: Linux related questions -- Font / Coding Problem with EndNote X1 on Linux (Ubuntu 8.04/wine 1.1.19)

Author: Ieragadu (Visitor)
Date: 04-21-2009 05:08 PM

Hi,    I'm pleased that there does, after all,  seem to be some consideration at Thomson Reuters for scientists running their computers on operating systems other than Windows and Mac, and who, like me, would like to stick with their longtime EndNote libraries.    The installation instructions for EndNote with wine in this thread, and previously a personal one from Peter Travis (in reply to my post "Linux Version / OpenOffice compatibility" in the "EndNote Product Suggestions" thread -- thanks again, Peter!)  were extremely helpful in setting up a [nearly] fully functioning EndNote installation on Ubuntu 8.04 with wine 1.1.19 emulating Windows XP (works now).   This includes a great little [java] tool I was sent as beta-tester version called CWYWSA ("Cite While You Write Stand Alone") to integrate with Open Office (here: openoffice.org native Ubuntu version 1.3.0.1-7) via rtf-formatting. This works just fine, at least with the smaller test databases I've run thus far. There's two issues here, however, which have prevented me from finally ditching my Windows partition altogether: One, that CWYWSA lists ALL references per library, making all my numerous CUSTOM libraries irrelevant -- but that's not that much of a problem, as I just copy the referencess I want to use in a paper into a separate library (something I've been doing over the years anyway), and just run that. More serious, however, is the display font coding problem I encounter: many of my reference titles are in German, French, or Japanese -- Unicode support is the number one reason I switched back to EndNote from Reference Manager required at work, which still doesn't have it. This works great in all imports, everything shows up correctly in CWYWSA, and subsequently in my final Open Office Writer document! Not, however, in EndNote itself, anywhere... In order to show titles correctly in the main library window, I tried to change the corresponding display font to Kochi, Sazanami, or MS Gothic/Mincho [Edit => Preferences => Display Fonts => Library]. All these resulted in the correct display of Japanese author names and reference titles, but not German or French special characters. Other fonts, no Japanese. And nothing at all helped in the individual reference preview or edit windows: garbage only, including the final "Tools:Format Paper" step in EndNote (the resulting formatted paper in OOo-Writer, however, correct as mentioned). As both CWYWSA and Open Office run under Ubuntu native, with no display issues at all, the problem seems to be with EndNote and wine. I tried fiddling around with various font-related suggestions found via you-know-which search engine, wine-locale and such, but at best did not mess up my whole system. While this problem does not impair the functionality of importing references into EndNote and subsequently using them in Open Office documents, it severely hampers any efforts in organizing references -- and editing is tedious: Western special characters (using Arial font) are accepted, but not displayed other than in the main window.  Anybody out there with greater insights into wine have any ideas how to fix this? Thanks.

Re: Linux related questions -- Font / Coding Problem with EndNote X1 on Linux (Ubuntu 8.04/wine 1.1.19)
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 15:13:04 -0700

Author: jmarks (Visitor)
Date: 04-21-2009 11:12 PM

It sounds from your post that: a) you can run Endnote X2 under Intrepid and Wine b) you can CWYW using OpenOffice. This is quite amazing.   I am running CrossOver Linux, the not-free version of WINE. Would you mind detailing exactly how you got Endnote X2 to run? And are you at liberty to share the stand alone CWYWSA along with any installation instructions? being able to run Endnote would allow be to (almost) junk XP invirtualBox . thanks!