Re: SSSsssslllllloooowwwww......

Search email archive for

Re: SSSsssslllllloooowwwww......
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 19:03:29 -0700
Subject: Re: SSSsssslllllloooowwwww......

Author: myoshigi (Maven)
Date: 04-26-2009 03:03 AM

One of the reason Endnote X2 loads so slowly is because it reads >3000 styles in the Styles folder in Program Files/Endnote X2 folder before it starts up. It used to be reading just the style folder designated by the preferences, but it now reads both the user-set style folder AND the Styles folder in the Program Files/Endnote X2 folder.   I think this modification in X2 is a bad idea becase nobody needs >3000 styles all the time. I actually make "Unused styles" folder in the Program Files/Endnote X2 folder, relocate all the >3000 styles to the Unused styles folder, and place some essential templates into the Styles folder. Then, X2 starts up like a snap. But, hey, when I update the program, >3000 styles are extracted from the archive and start up is slow again!   I think it is better to keep the Styles folder with minimum number of style templates, like "Numbered", "Harvard" and "Show all fileds", and store all these >3000 templates in the folder that EN does NOT read at start up.

Re: SSSsssslllllloooowwwww......
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 14:14:20 -0700

Author: albo (Enthusiast)
Date: 04-26-2009 10:14 PM

yeah - absolutely no reason to read them all in at startup.  If they do want to have them available via a menu, then they could build some sort of index file, instead of reading in all the different style files.