EndNoteX2: Single authors identified as multiple due to full first name vs initial imports

Search email archive for

EndNoteX2: Single authors identified as multiple due to full first name vs initial imports
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 07:02:40 -0700
Subject: EndNoteX2: Single authors identified as multiple due to full first name vs initial imports

Author: Schalke04 (New User)
Date: 04-23-2009 03:02 PM

Hi,   When importing references, I notice that sometimes the author is imported by his/her full first name, but other times only the initials are available. I have now ended up with a number of papers by John George and a few by J. George. It seems that Endnote is not able to detect that these people are in fact one and the same. This leads to in-text references that are not correct (APA): the initials or full name is mentioned to distinguish between the two authors with similar names (which are in fact the same person).   I can manually delete all first names and change them into initials, but it is a lot of work. I wonder if there is a way to change batches of references, or to let EndNote automatically delete all first names and change them into initials.   I am using EndNote X2 on a MacOSX 10.5.6 system.   I hope someone can help.   Thanks, Hendrik