Re: Multiple Book Chapter Files with One Bibliography

Search email archive for

Re: Multiple Book Chapter Files with One Bibliography
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 15:27:05 -0700
Subject: Re: Multiple Book Chapter Files with One Bibliography

Author: johneast (Enthusiast)
Date: 04-07-2009 11:26 PM

See this FAQ for an explanation of how to combine the chapters, either now or at the end of the project.

Re: Multiple Book Chapter Files with One Bibliography
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 07:43:00 -0700

Author: WiedmanD (New User)
Date: 04-08-2009 03:42 PM

Thanks John for providing a FAQ link to the details on how to combine MS word files to create a single bibliography. This is most useful when the chapters are completly written near the end of a project when all can be combined.   However, I am at the beginning of a book writing project and I wanted to set up the linked MS word files in a way that only one bibliography was produced by EndNote. This would allow me to focus on only one list of references to make sure that all the proper sources were included. Otherwise I have to maintain 8+ bibliographies at the end of each chapter.   Any ideas on how EndNote can do this? Dennis

Re: Multiple Book Chapter Files with One Bibliography
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 08:02:12 -0700

Author: Leanne (Guru)
Date: 04-08-2009 04:02 PM

I would try either having a group that you dragged references into when you referenced them, and you can export that to a file, or create a library that you drag them to?    Also, you could recover the traveling libraries from each of the chapters and import them into each other, to create a library of the references used (with discard duplicates on). This can be exported into a document.   Alternatively you can consider Master Documents (which most people avoid due to its history of sensitivity to corruption).  There is a discussion of this at: http://www.scu.edu.au/library/services/endnote_downloads/Master_Documents_Course_V9.pdf   All of these seem to require some manual steps to accomplish your goal.

Re: Multiple Book Chapter Files with One Bibliography
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 09:24:45 -0700

Author: WiedmanD (New User)
Date: 04-08-2009 05:24 PM

Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 09:34:01 -0700

Author: Leanne (Guru)
Date: 04-08-2009 05:33 PM

If I were going that route, I would have two folders.  One that I work on with the chapters, and when I wanted to create the master document, I would copy them to the master document folder (always keeping the same names), to create the fusion.  This would protect the originals, but give you the flexibility you desire.  I think the corruption issue has decreased over the years, but you are working with two megalith programs, with a lot of inserted code, so caution and backups is probably the best way forward.

Re: Multiple Book Chapter Files with One Bibliography
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 12:25:46 -0700

Author: bethered (New User)
Date: 04-24-2009 08:25 PM

I usually like to work with one large document so I can do global searches and replaces more accurately. Plus the Word master document process always confused and worried me. To that end, we created a Word tool, myWriterTools, that among other things will take a document and, based on the chapter heading style, create separate documents, one for each chapter, front material, and back material. That way, you can work on your large document and only make chapter documents when they need to be submitted. There are more details at www.mywritertools.com   Note: The moderator has approved me mentioning a product here but there is no endorsement or recommendation from EndNote about our product.