Re: how to output the several reference in one number: 1 abcd... 2 abc... 3 ab...

Search email archive for

Re: how to output the several reference in one number: 1 abcd... 2 abc... 3 ab...
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 11:01:43 -0700
Subject: Re: how to output the several reference in one number: 1 abcd... 2 abc... 3 ab...

Author: dfepeman (New User)
Date: 04-22-2009 07:01 PM

In my field of chemistry most of the leading journals (Journal or the American Chemical Society and all other ACS journals) use this alphabetical format: 1 a)  b)...etc.   I had an early version of Endnote and stopped using it becasue it couldn't do this.  Then I hear that the newer versions can do this and I buy a new copy.   So am I to understand that EndNote STILL cannot handle this format style???  This is pretty sad.

Re: how to output the several reference in one number: 1 abcd... 2 abc... 3 ab...
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 11:27:20 -0700

Author: Leanne (Guru)
Date: 04-22-2009 07:27 PM

As I said below, when I go to the journal instructions to author - they seem to say this is an optional style of referencing, and is there another package that offers this flexibility?  --but in anycase, heard a rumor that they are working on implimenting it... but I suggest you test the software before you buy it, to see if it has the functionality you need.

Re: how to output the several reference in one number: 1 abcd... 2 abc... 3 ab...
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Fri, 8 May 2009 11:14:51 -0700

Author: oxide (New User)
Date: 05-08-2009 07:14 PM

Well, I have this problem with "abc grouped references," too. And as a fresh user of Endnote I wanted this to work. So here is my solution:   Do it like it was mentioned in one of the previous posts about putting more references together and separating them with a ";", for instance. Then edit your references in that group in such a way, that you write (a) (and (b) and (c) and so on) in front of the name of the first author of each reference (and maybe check the "full name" in the Style directory, regarding Bibliography and Author Name Initials - well, I haven't tried it out without this, and, above all, I write in the references data "by foot" - just to be sure everything is alright). Then, when you cite, just cite the WHOLE group again and just next to the citation number (in your text) write the appropriate letter "by foot" (e.g., 1a, 1b etc.). I guess then you just have to be careful that you don't mix up the letters in case you add more references to that group (and you would probably have to revise all of the cases when you used that group - yup, that is one of the drawbacks - but if you haven't got a better way to do it...).

Re: how to output the several reference in one number: 1 abcd... 2 abc... 3 ab...
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Fri, 8 May 2009 12:11:11 -0700

Author: dfepeman (New User)
Date: 05-08-2009 08:11 PM

I thought about this approach.  of course, it will be paper-specific unless you use that set of references as a group in all papers you write.  A related way to do this would be to leave these group semicolon-separated, then when you are finally done go in and manually put in the letter order.  You'd need to then add 4a, 15c, etc. in the spaces you wanted them- they wouldn't be endnote-linked though.   I guess I will go back to single references until people figure out how to do this very common referencing format (regardless what the official, outdated, chemistry journal guidelines say)

Re: how to output the several reference in one number: 1 abcd... 2 abc... 3 ab...
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Mon, 18 May 2009 09:25:20 -0700

Author: malikaj (New User)
Date: 05-18-2009 05:25 PM

I also have suffered with this issue, as it is required for Journal of Organic Chemistry and many other ACS journals (see ACS style guide or sample issue). After searching the blogs here and on facebook, I contacted Thomson and they said that this is a known issue and currently there is no way to get end note to do that. I have been working on a new style, I remember during grad school I got this to work in version 9, but no luck with X2 (mac). The best I can do it use the group all references option and the insert character before each reference option to get something that looks like this: (1) Horowitz, G. Adv. Mater. 1998, 10, 365. ($a) Newman, C. R.; Frisbie, C. D.; daSilvaFilho, D. A.;Bredas, J. L.; Ewbank, P. C.; Mann, K. R. Chem.Mater. 2004, 16, 4436. ($a) Murphy, A. R.; Frechet,J. M. J. Chem. Rev. 2007, 107, 1066. ($a) Dimitrakopoulos, C. D.; Malenfant, P. R. L. Adv. Mater. 2002, 14, 99.   I will remove source codes when I am done and replace all of the "a$" with b, c, etc. I do notice that the first reference is missing a letter, if anyone knows how to fix that please advise. Also if anyone knows what characters endnote would view as a variable then it may be possible to make this work.

Re: how to output the several reference in one number: 1 abcd... 2 abc... 3 ab...
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Mon, 18 May 2009 09:46:12 -0700

Author: Leanne (Guru)
Date: 05-18-2009 05:46 PM

Maybe this request will have made it into X3 which this message says should be released soon?  Press Release on X3

Re: how to output the several reference in one number: 1 abcd... 2 abc... 3 ab...
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Mon, 18 May 2009 10:42:15 -0700

Author: JasonR (Thomson Reuters)
Date: 05-18-2009 06:42 PM

As usual, Leanne is right! We are planning to include support for "Composite Citations" in the upcoming EndNote version X3. We got input from some of the editors of the American Chemical Society (ACS) journals to develop this feature. It is still worth noting that "Composite Citations" are not officially required for any leading journals (at least that our research uncovered). But they are commonly used in many ACS journals such as:   Accounts of Chemical Research Analytical Chemistry Chemical Reviews Chemistry of Materials Crystal Growth & Design Inorganic Chemistry Journal of the American Chemical Society Journal of Chemical Information and Modeling Journal of Combinatorial Chemistry Journal of Medicinal Chemistry Journal of Organic Chemistry Langmuir Macromolecules Jason Rollins, the EndNote team