Re: Simultaneous changes to multiple records

Search email archive for

Re: Simultaneous changes to multiple records
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 04:38:30 -0700
Subject: Re: Simultaneous changes to multiple records

Author: sjkiss (New User)
Date: 04-22-2009 12:38 PM

Hi there, So I've discovered the Change and Move Fields feature. However, I the field that I want to clear - Series Editor -  is not listed in the fields that can be cleared or modified?  I tried using Custom 1, but that doesn't appear to give you the option of telling the program to deal with the field Series Editor.

Re: Simultaneous changes to multiple records
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 04:57:02 -0700

Author: Leanne (Guru)
Date: 04-22-2009 12:56 PM

You need to specify the generic field name, not the reference type specific name.  So first you would select the references of the reference type before applying your change, or you might affect other reference types that use that field for a differenent purpose.  Series Editor = secondary author I believe - at least for Edited Book, it might be tertiary for some reference types? You can check by editing the preferences and openning ("modifying") the reference type you are interested in.

Re: Simultaneous changes to multiple records
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 05:24:24 -0700

Author: sjkiss (Visitor)
Date: 04-22-2009 01:24 PM

OK that worked great. Thanks Leanne. Another question. I have a bunch of newspaper articles and they somehow have gotten both the issue date and the words "Newspaper Article" on a second line in the field "issue date"   How do I clear out the text "newspaper article" from that field? The text looks like this   Nov 30 Newspaper article Or January 1, 1999 Newspaper article

Re: Simultaneous changes to multiple records
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 06:54:22 -0700

Author: Leanne (Guru)
Date: 04-22-2009 02:54 PM

you need to "change text" from the Edit menu.   Make a copy of the library first, just in case.   I like to have the references showing (the action is only performed on showing references) and that way you don't change records you didn't intend to change.   In the case of Newspaper article the field with issue info is "Date"  so that is the field you select in the drop down.  and type "newspaper article" and nothing in the box below.  If the item you wanted to delete was above the date, you would probably also in the carriage return (from the field drop down) after the words you wanted to delete.   this should delte