Re: Word 2004 quits using CWYW tools for Endnote x2

Search email archive for

Re: Word 2004 quits using CWYW tools for Endnote x2
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 20:38:57 -0700
Subject: Re: Word 2004 quits using CWYW tools for Endnote x2

Author: Petunia (New User)
Date: 03-25-2009 03:38 AM

Getting fed up! Still having the same issue and it is making my writing process very painful at times! I wonder if the issue is that Word 2004 is being run through Rosetta on my Intel Mac and Endnote is universal? Any case I finally got a crash log with the last quit, and it suggested this to my untrained eyes. Not sure if it would be helpful for the tech people to look at???

Re: Word 2004 quits using CWYW tools for Endnote x2
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 02:32:05 -0700

Author: gr (New User)
Date: 03-25-2009 09:31 AM

No, it cannot be anything to do with Rosetta, because the problem occurs on pre-Intel Macs also.     Do you suppose anyone at Thomson is actually working on this grievous problem? It is a long time to pass for such a serious bug.   --GR

Re: Word 2004 quits using CWYW tools for Endnote x2
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 18:19:26 -0700

Author: Petunia (Visitor)
Date: 03-26-2009 01:19 AM

No kidding, I should hope someone is working on it! Yeesh. I too find it very strange indeed. This has been a major issue for me recently as I am in the midst of thesis-writing and have a very large library of citations to manage. What is particularly odd is that it does not occur consistently for me any longer. I have noticed that if it quits in one document, then I re-open word with a misc. different doc (not a new doc) and attempt to use CWYW tools there, if it works in doc 2 it will subsequently work in the document that was having the issue (having both docs open).  As mentioned I do have a crash report finally but don't know how to interpret it myself, not being a programmer and all!   BIZARRE!

Re: Word 2004 quits using CWYW tools for Endnote x2
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 13:57:12 -0700

Author: JasonR (Thomson Reuters)
Date: 03-26-2009 08:57 PM

Please send me the crash report and we will use it in our investigation of this issue.   Thanks,   Jason Rollins, the EndNote team />

Re: Word 2004 quits using CWYW tools for Endnote x2
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 10:10:24 -0700

Author: Petunia (Visitor)
Date: 03-27-2009 05:10 PM

I don't know if this is a relevant item, out of my Word Crash log (whether there is a inter-app. communication problem related to this, don't know if this somehow facilitates the interface of the apps?):    /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CarbonCore.framework/ Versions/A/CarbonCore   Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS     Looking Carbon up on the Apple developer site it states that there is a new version for osx 10.5 (I have 10.4.11). Maybe versions out of sync?   I don't know anything about this stuff, just grasping at straws at this point.

Re: Word 2004 quits using CWYW tools for Endnote x2
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 21:52:45 -0700

Author: judynol (Visitor)
Date: 04-02-2009 05:52 AM

I have Brent's problem with the EndNote functions not working in Word. I tried his solution, but it didn't work - perhaps because I'm on a 2Ghz Intel. I wish I had never upgraded to X2 - everything was fine with X1 Judy

Re: Word 2004 quits using CWYW tools for Endnote x2
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 10:19:09 -0700

Author: JasonR (Thomson Reuters)
Date: 04-02-2009 06:19 PM

Has everyone having this issue tried to create a new Apple account profile as described by Rick and Peter of our customer support group in the first page of this thread?   This has worked for the few customers who have contacted us directly about the issue.   Jason Rollins, the EndNote team

Re: Word 2004 quits using CWYW tools for Endnote x2
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 16:59:22 -0700

Author: PhDpt81 (New User)
Date: 04-06-2009 12:59 AM

I tried creating the new Apple account profile, and it did not work for me.  I am having some success after making some file changes as described in an earlier post, but it's still not 100% functional.   Nicole

Re: Word 2004 quits using CWYW tools for Endnote x2
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 09:45:19 -0700

Author: NoNotThatGuy (New User)
Date: 04-06-2009 05:45 PM

I am experiencing the same problem:   iMac Intel Tiger 10.4.11 OS Word 2004 (fully updated) EndNote X2 (fully updated, fully patched, CWYW updated)   I would also like to add: changing profiles does not *fix* anything because it simply starts from a new set of preferences. As such, if it "works," then all it has done is suggest what kind of problem may have occurred in the first place (e.g. something in Preferences folders). But the problem has not been addressed, just avoided. This is a classic example of addressing a symptom and not the cause.

Re: Word 2004 quits using CWYW tools for Endnote x2
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 15:59:21 -0700

Author: Petunia (Visitor)
Date: 04-06-2009 11:59 PM

I too want the app to work in my own account, with all of my documents on hand otherwise what is the point of having it? I am unsure if it is the preferences but rather the way Word and Endnote interfaces (that something is out of sync). It seems to begin to work if I leave it and Word running and return to it the next day - but this could just be an illusion.

Re: Word 2004 quits using CWYW tools for Endnote x2
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 05:32:59 -0700

Author: gr (New User)
Date: 04-07-2009 01:32 PM

Hi, NoNotThatGuy,   I am sure Jason was suggesting the new user profile strategy not as a solution, but only as a work-around--something that some users could avail themselves of now, pending an actual fix of the problem.   Having said that, I, like many, have much too much invested in my active user profile to be able to make use of such a workaround--even if it were effective (which, given recent forum testimony, it does not appear to be for all).   My current workaround is to save a copy of my Word doc as rtf and then run Endnote directly on the rtf file. This works pretty well for me since I never ever use Endnote's format-as-you-go features anyway, but prefer to have simple plain-text temporary citations in my master text. So, if you too use only Endnote temporary citations in your master Word docs (which I highly recommend), then the simplest workaround for now is this rtf strategy.   --GR

Re: Word 2004 quits using CWYW tools for Endnote x2
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 16:31:01 -0700

Author: NoNotThatGuy (New User)
Date: 04-08-2009 12:30 AM

Hi everyone. I've been helped by technical support to remove X2 and get back to X1. This wasn't straightforward because the X2 tools had been installed in the Word folders and had to be removed by me (sending the app to the Trash didn't do it).   So, for you Tiger OS, Word 2004 users with X1 and X2, here's whatcha do until Thomson has sorted out the bug:   1)Send the X2 App folder to the Trash 2) In your Word Startup folder (By default, that location is Mac HD: Applications: Microsoft Office 2004: Office: Startup: Word) there should be a file called "EndNote CWYW Word 2004." Send it to the Trash and replace it with the file of the  same name from the X1 App folder 3) In your Application Support folder for EndNote (Users: <your home folder>: Library: Application Support: EndNote) there should be a file called "EndNote CWYW Commands.dot." Send it to the Trash and replace it with the file of the same name from the X1 App folder.   This seems to be the only way to get simple functionality out of Endnote now. Don't bother with X2 until it's been fixed.

Re: Word 2004 quits using CWYW tools for Endnote x2
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 07:50:21 -0700

Author: PTravis (Moderator)
Date: 04-08-2009 03:50 PM

Hello NoNotThatGuy,   Did you install EndNote X2.0.0 and then install the update to take it to X2.0.1?  If you did you could try removing EndNote X2.0.1 and the tools from Word.  Typically going to "EndNote X2 > Customizer" and selecting Uninstall should remove the tools from Word, but if it does not you can manually remove them.   Then if you reinstall EndNote X2.0.0 and do not install the update, do you still have the issue?

Re: Word 2004 quits using CWYW tools for Endnote x2
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 15:54:51 -0700

Author: NoNotThatGuy (New User)
Date: 04-08-2009 11:54 PM

Hi Peter.   No dice.   I tried the install without the patch and without updating the CWYW folder and Word still disappears as soon as I try to CWYW in with X2.   By the way: the Uninstall from the Customizer worked. I just needed to run the Customizer from X1 to get the Toolbar back.   Also - now X1 does not open and ask me what I want to do. When it opens it shows a graphic for the program but it stops there. I then have to go to File/Open Existing to get to the library. Before the X2 shenanigans, whenever I opened X1, a window appeared asking if I wanted to create a new library or open an existing one. Is everything okay or has something been skewed in all this mess?   Let me know when you guys and girls fix this! Thanks.

Re: Word 2004 quits using CWYW tools for Endnote x2
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 06:21:46 -0700

Author: ahl (New User)
Date: 04-15-2009 02:21 PM

Hi. I am in the middle of my Master's degree and really don't have time to keep trying to get this program to work properly. I am extremely frustrated at this point.   Endnote has worked fine for the last 2 months, then today I lost hours trying to get Endnote to stop crashing Word. I tried the "backup folder on the desktop solution" which worked for a bit, then when I returned to my computer after a break I am back at square one crashing again.   I am Word 2004 11.5.0, Endnote X2 and Mac 10.4.11   Thank you

Re: Word 2004 quits using CWYW tools for Endnote x2
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 10:29:30 -0700

Author: PhDpt81 (New User)
Date: 04-15-2009 06:29 PM

I just upgraded to Office 2008.  Once I started using Word 2008, EndNote has worked beautifully.     Nicole

Re: Word 2004 quits using CWYW tools for Endnote x2
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 03:52:02 -0700

Author: ahl (New User)
Date: 04-20-2009 11:51 AM

Hi Nicole,   Thanks for the tip; I'll try it and see how they mesh. (Must be better than tears before bedtime!)   Cheers,   Annetta

Re: Word 2004 quits using CWYW tools for Endnote x2
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Sun, 7 Jun 2009 13:50:22 -0700

Author: Petunia (Regular)
Date: 06-07-2009 09:50 PM

I have been unable to use CWYW or any of the tools in Word at all (ie even unable to disable instant formatting) in the last week and a half and am trying to finish my thesis - it is very frustrating - I also don't want to go out and buy the new Office suite only to have CWYW not work there - Is anyone working on this critical problem????   Also I have recently noticed that in the Word Tools menu under macros, it appears that I am 'creating' one every time I try to access endnote tools. Further when I go to the drop-down list 'Macros in' and select CWYW Commands.dot (global... and then select one of the macros and press the button 'Run' Word quits in exactly the same way as it does when I try to access an Endnote function from a document. I don't know if this is significant? Could this in some way be a virus?

Re: Word 2004 quits using CWYW tools for Endnote x2
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Sun, 7 Jun 2009 14:31:25 -0700

Author: Petunia (Regular)
Date: 06-07-2009 10:31 PM

POSSIBLE FIX!!!   I followed these instructions for replacing the normal file in Word prefs - it seems to have done the trick - I also have disabled instant formatting. From within Word I tried searching citations, formatting bibliography and edit citation commands - all working for now in both new and old documents!!! Will report if I have further problems/if temporary.   http://word.mvps.org/mac/MacWordNormal.html

Re: Word 2004 quits using CWYW tools for Endnote x2
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 05:05:05 -0700

Author: gr (New User)
Date: 06-08-2009 01:04 PM

Yes! Excellent suggestion. Tossing Word's Normal template to force Word to recreate it has also worked on my Tiger installation. This is the first of the workarounds that has worked for me.   Holding my breath  that this goodness will hold steady. Thanks, Petunia!   Best, Greg

Re: Word 2004 quits using CWYW tools for Endnote x2
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 05:39:33 -0700

Author: gr (New User)
Date: 06-08-2009 01:39 PM

After following Petunia's lead with success, I discovered Endnote continued to behave when I put the original Normal template back in place!   That makes the whole business rather mysterious, of course, but also a great relief, since so much of one's customization of Word is stored in the Normal template and would be a big pain to recreate.   Hoping this new magic lasts. Will keep you posted.   --Greg

Re: Word 2004 quits using CWYW tools for Endnote x2
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 10:36:46 -0700

Author: Petunia (Regular)
Date: 06-08-2009 06:36 PM

Glad it has worked for you too thus far Greg!   When first considering this might be a macro related virus or some such in Word I was concerned that all of my Word docs had become corrupted and I would be unable to easily transfer their contents into new docs without re-infecting the software indefinitely. Yet the old docs work fine. It is odd that the old normal file works ok  - guess this fix may indeed just be a workaround another problem. If you have any subsequent issue please post!   Kelly