Re: how to mix two endnote files together ??

Search email archive for

Re: how to mix two endnote files together ??
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 23:38:02 -0700
Subject: Re: how to mix two endnote files together ??

Author: Unicorn (Visitor)
Date: 04-09-2009 07:37 AM

Hi, does this also hold for "minor changes/corrections" to the reference? If theres a minor spelling mistake in the author's name, this doesn't change the whole reference number, does it?   At the moment, I'm trying to combine Endnote libraries from my colleagues in order to make one big library out of them. Does this always mean that all of their papers which they've written with "their" library will lose their specific "reference numbers" once I've imported their libraries into "one big"?   Thanks a lot for your help!!

Re: how to mix two endnote files together ??
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 06:33:14 -0700

Author: Leanne (Guru)
Date: 04-09-2009 02:33 PM

Unicorn wrote: does this also hold for "minor changes/corrections" to the reference? If theres a minor spelling mistake in the author's name, this doesn't change the whole reference number, does it? If the change is to the First Authors name, it doesn't change the record number, but it will mean that the record no longer matches the inserted citation in a document, because endnote matches author name, year and record number (in its default settings).  So a formated manuscript would not be corrected automatically.  It would assume that the reference was no longer in the library and pull the information from the "travelling library" which still has the incorrect spelling for that match.  To avoid this, you need to unformat the reference, fix it and reformat.  You can do this quickly by unformating the whole paper and reformating, and it will prompt with the best match to old citation, with the new one, and you can insert that.  Remember that unformating the whole manuscript, turns off CWYW and you need to reengage it from the third tab of the format bibliography dialog window.  Unicorn wrote:   At the moment, I'm trying to combine Endnote libraries from my colleagues in order to make one big library out of them. Does this always mean that all of their papers which they've written with "their" library will lose their specific "reference numbers" once I've imported their libraries into "one big"?   The manuscripts they have already written will not match the new big library, however, if they are formated, they won't notice as the references will remain there, from the travelling library, if Endnote doesn't see an exact match of author, year record number (as discussed above).  If they continue to write with the new library, it should resolve "duplicates" from the two libraries, but it is worth checking that.  If you had for example changed a minor spelling of an author in your newly combined library, they wouldn't be exact matches, and it would appear twice in the reference list.