Re: urgent corrupt Word docx .need help

Search email archive for

Re: urgent corrupt Word docx .need help
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 15:55:10 -0700
Subject: Re: urgent corrupt Word docx .need help

Author: Leanne (Guru)
Date: 04-14-2009 11:54 PM

what do you see if you try to open it in a text only program (wordpad, maybe notepad, but it might be too big for that).    I would be calling tech support if you really think Endnote trashed it.

Re: urgent corrupt Word docx .need help
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 16:05:10 -0700

Author: kyky11nz (New User)
Date: 04-15-2009 12:05 AM

it tried the notepad, it either shows blank page or strange character code

Re: urgent corrupt Word docx .need help
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 16:59:54 -0700

Author: myoshigi (Maven)
Date: 04-15-2009 12:59 AM

My suggestions:   Do not write any files using the computer that has your corrupted file. That includes web browsing, e-mail, everything. If you keep using the hard drive, data recovery by professionals will be more difficult.   Check the file size (has it changed?). Copy the corrupted file to flash drive, and try to open by Word in a different computer. Try Mac Word, Different Word versions, Wordpad, everything (have you?). But do them using "backup" file (even it is corrupted).   Look for any flash drive, or portable hard drive for a remnant of the previous versions (binary editor or data recovery software sometime helps to find out these remnants).   Consider dedicated data recovery software (I have used Nucleus Kernel Recovery tools, but they didn't work for me. It may work for you.), or find out friends who can use binary editors (read binary data directly from hard drive).   Consider professional data recovery service (they are really expensive: sometime >$5K).   Start re-writing (and build back up routine and habit ASAP).