Re: Harvard Styles

Search email archive for

Re: Harvard Styles
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Sun, 8 Mar 2009 16:50:52 -0700
Subject: Re: Harvard Styles

Author: johneast (Enthusiast)
Date: 03-08-2009 11:50 PM

If anyone is interested in the history of "The Harvard Style", there is a short article by Eli Chernin, "The 'Harvard system': a mystery dispelled" in the British Medical Journal, vol. 297 (22 Oct. 1988) p. 1062-1063.   In summary, it originated with a zoologist named Edward Laurens Mark, who was a professor at Harvard in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. He published a paper in 1881 in which he used parenthetical references consisting of the author's name and the year of publication. In a footnote in that paper, he explained that "the numbers immediately following an author's name serve the double purpose of referring the reader to the list where the titles of papers are given, and of informing him at once of the approximate date of the paper in question."

Re: Harvard Styles
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Sat, 4 Apr 2009 03:21:22 -0700

Author: SubmittingPhD (New User)
Date: 04-04-2009 11:21 AM

Dear Leanne,   Are you able to tell why the author-date style underlines the journal name in the bibliography? I have End Note X1 now, but do not remember that this was the format in the previous versions. I would prefer to have the bibliography with no underlinings, but not sure if I should try to update the author date until I am sure what is the reason for this.

Re: Harvard Styles
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 10:15:23 -0700

Author: Leanne (Guru)
Date: 04-05-2009 06:15 PM

Have no idea.  It is a generic style provided with Endnote.  Remove the underlining and save it as a new style, if you like.  Make sure you change your thesis format bibliography to use the new style after you get one that looks the way you want it (and fulfils any University requirements there might be).