Re: Capitalization workaround for non-English titles?

Search email archive for

Re: Capitalization workaround for non-English titles?
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 11:47:55 -0700
Subject: Re: Capitalization workaround for non-English titles?

Author: ma_roberge (Regular)
Date: 04-17-2009 07:47 PM

I am managing bibliographies that contain lots of titles in non-English languages, and I need to be able to format them in both English and French, depending on the project I am working. All the titles that I am downloading use lowercase but for proper names. If I direct my output style to leave titles as entered, this will be relatively fine for French and Italian, for instance, and German titles will be OK because the databases use correct capitalization (capitals for substantives). However, if I choose a style that uses headline capitalization, all my non-English titles will end up with capitals almost everywhere, e.g., "Le Guide De La Musique Pour Piano", which looks awfully amateurish and reflects a total ignorance of the language. I cannot imagine myself editing individually more than 700 titles to impose correct capitalization in order to use "Leave titles as entered" and be sure that all will meet my needs.   Is there a solution for those who work in languages other than English (and there are surely many of us)? Choosing sentence-style capitalization cannot even be considered because it lowercases everything, including proprer names! Furthermore, though I generally use the Chicago Manual of Style's humanities style that capitalizes English titles according to the well-known rules, I need to retain the capability of using the Author-Date style that uses sentence-style capitalization. What a complex situation...

Re: Capitalization workaround for non-English titles?
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 12:06:36 -0700

Author: ma_roberge (Regular)
Date: 04-17-2009 08:06 PM

I am wondering whether the designers might not modify (or add a switch to) "sentence-style capitalization" so that it will not lowercase words with an uppercase letter; this would leave proprer names untouched. It would also be useful if there were a way to indicate that the first word of a subtitle should be capitalized or not, because both styles are possible.