Re: importing endnote library to earlier version

Search email archive for

Re: importing endnote library to earlier version
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 18:46:13 -0700
Subject: Re: importing endnote library to earlier version

Author: myoshigi (Maven)
Date: 04-04-2009 02:46 AM

I'd take a look at Refer export file made by ver 6, and compare it with the export file made by new version. I'd also test ver 6 import Refer export file made by ver 6, just to make sure it works fine.

Re: importing endnote library to earlier version
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 19:40:57 -0700

Author: Leanne (Guru)
Date: 04-04-2009 03:40 AM

I think that what Myoshigi is saying, is try using the export and import filters from the same version.

Re: importing endnote library to earlier version
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 20:51:47 -0700

Author: myoshigi (Maven)
Date: 04-04-2009 04:51 AM

Yes, that's right. Also, is version 6 on Macintosh? That's another thing to consider.   To be honest, I don't recommend to use version 6 because so many changes have been made to Endnote since then.

Re: importing endnote library to earlier version
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 10:53:26 -0700

Author: constans (New User)
Date: 04-06-2009 06:53 PM

Hi - thanks for the input.  I am using Endnote 6 because that is what I have!  And it works fine for what I have to do with it normally.  But right now I am trying to import a library from my boss.  He has a newer versionof Endnote on his computer, which is a Mac.  Mine is a PC.  Could this be part of the problem?

Re: importing endnote library to earlier version
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 11:54:46 -0700

Author: Leanne (Guru)
Date: 04-06-2009 07:54 PM

It should work irrespective of platform. But you just might want to ask Tech support if they can help you with the conversion.  They might have knowledge and tricks unavailable to us mere mortals.  You might try Refman (RIS) as the Export style.  -- and Reference Manager (RIS) to import it.

Re: importing endnote library to earlier version
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 17:53:55 -0700

Author: myoshigi (Maven)
Date: 04-07-2009 01:53 AM

Mac and PC actually have different handling of ASCII text file, in terms of line feed and carriage return. But most of the recent software absorb this kind of difference so that text files are independent of platform. Pre-version 8 Endnote was actually "text" handling program and the export/import across platform (Mac to PC, or PC to Mac) required some text conversion software (can't remember what I was using 15 years ago anymore...). If you can get Mac-PC text conversion software nowadays, you can try that if that makes difference.

Re: importing endnote library to earlier version
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 11:14:06 -0700

Author: constans (New User)
Date: 04-09-2009 07:14 PM

Hi - I found the answer to how to do this (export a library from EndNote 9 to be used on Endnote 6 or 7).  In case anyone else is searching for a solution to this problem, here is the procedure:   Converting a Library for ProCite, Reference Manager, or an Earlier Version of EndNote Converting an EndNote 9 library for use with EndNote versions 5, 6, or 7, for Reference Manager, or for ProCite requires exporting the references from your EndNote library to a text file, and then importing from the text file into the other program. Note: EndNote 8 and  EndNote 9 libraries are directly compatible, and require no conversion. If your references contain diacritics, you must do this carefully so that your diacritics transfer correctly. Because EndNote 9 is Unicode compliant, it exports text as UTF-8 Unicode, and not as traditional ANSI text. Reference Manager, ProCite, and earlier versions of EndNote are not Unicode compatible, so they need the document converted to ANSI text. If you attempt to import references that have not been saved as ANSI text, diacritics will appear scrambled in the new database or library format. Note: EndNote 9 allows the use of Extended Latin and double-byte character sets, which are not supported by EndNote versions earlier than version 8. Extended Latin and double-byte characters will not transfer to earlier version file formats. To convert your EndNote 9 library for other applications: In EndNote 9, go to the drop-down output style list on the toolbar, and choose Select Another Style. Highlight and Choose the appropriate output style: For EndNote 5, 6, or 7:  Select the Refer style. For Reference Manager or ProCite:  Select the RefMan (RIS) style. Go to the File menu and use Export to export your library to a plain text file. Use Microsoft Word to open the text file you exported from EndNote.  When Word asks you to select an encoding option, choose "Other Encoding" and "Unicode (UTF-8)." In Word, choose File>Save As and save the document with a new name, as plain text, and with Windows-default as the encoding option. To import the saved file: With EndNote:  Use the Refer/BibIX import filter. With Reference Manager or ProCite:  Use the RIS import filter.   Hope that this is of use to someone!