Re: Corrupted (?) in-text citations

Search email archive for

Re: Corrupted (?) in-text citations
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 12:04:10 -0700
Subject: Re: Corrupted (?) in-text citations

Author: mjm (New User)
Date: 04-20-2009 08:04 PM

I'm battling the same problem.  Did an automatically-downloaded update cause this?

Re: Corrupted (?) in-text citations
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 12:16:11 -0700

Author: mjm (New User)
Date: 04-20-2009 08:16 PM

Fixed... for me:  http://www.endnote.com/support/faqs/CWYW/faq12.asp   On Windows:Word 2000/2002/2003: In Word, go to the "Tools" menu, and select "Options". Here, on the "View" tab, uncheck the box named "Field Codes". Click "OK". The document should now appear normal. Word 2007: Within Microsoft Word 2007 go to the Office icon in the upper left, and click "Word Options" at the bottom of this window. Click on the Advanced option on the left hand side and scroll down to the section titled ?Show Document Content.? Uncheck the item titled ?Show field codes instead of their values? and click OK. The document should now appear normal. On a Macintosh: In Word, go to the "Word" menu, and select "Preferences". Here, on the "View" menu, uncheck the box named "Field Codes". Click "OK". The document should now appear normal. This setting is a universal setting for Word, so making this change should fix any documents that are currently displaying the field codes. I have no idea how or why Field Codes was checked.  Gremlins.

Re: Corrupted (?) in-text citations
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 13:19:46 -0700

Author: fitz_m (User)
Date: 04-20-2009 09:19 PM

I wish the problem was only that field codes were displayed, but no, sadly, the problem is that some of the citations seems to be corrupt. Part of my determination of this was to purposefully SHOW the field codes and compare the correct citations with the problematic ones. Thanks anyway though.

Re: Corrupted (?) in-text citations
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 07:31:49 -0700

Author: fitz_m (Regular)
Date: 04-26-2009 03:31 PM

Just received a message from EndNote tech support saying that there was nothing to be done; the citations are lost.   I still don't know what exactly happened in the document to cause nearly half of the citations to be truncated or corrupted, but I guess it's just another warning to not trust EndNote--always keep multiple backups!

Re: Corrupted (?) in-text citations
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Tue, 26 May 2009 05:08:48 -0700

Author: lotrpy (Visitor)
Date: 05-26-2009 01:08 PM