Endnote issue- report from an organization or government agency

Search email archive for

Endnote issue- report from an organization or government agency
Author: John Kramer    Posted: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 18:04:17 -0400
in APA
Sender: /> Precedence: bulk
Good morning-
I've had a long standing issue with Endnote (8,9,and 10 and X.1) when it
comes to a citing a report by an organization or government agency in
APA. I've looked for help online, but I can't find anything.

Namely, there are two problems, a) the in text citation and b) what
happens in the bibliography. Here's what I'm doing to set this up:

you enter the citation in either a) with the organization name in the
Author field or b) with the author field blank and with the name of the
organization in the "Publisher" field.
if I do option a, the bibliography does not conform to APA standards.
For the author field, say I am citing a report by the US Census Bureau-
in the bibliography I get "Census, US., Bureau." or something to that
effect. Clearly this does not conform to APA standards- it should read
"US Census Bureau. (2003)..."
If I do option b, the title comes up in place of the author (since it is
considered missing even though it is not). The parenthetical citation
is completely incorrect.
as a workaround, I did the following- I was hoping there was an easier
way to do this-

To do it the right way will consist of creating, from scratch, a new
type of reference. There really is no way else I have been able to find
around this issue. Keep in mind this will be how to cite a general
report as cited on page 257,259 reference types #44 and #48. "Report
from a private organization." If you have a specific type of report,
you will need to change the template settings- I found the most general
one I could find to do this...but it might not be the right citation for
all cases. You can add up to three custom reference types.

This is somewhat more complicated than I had thought. You need to 1)
create a custom reference type and template (you can do this in Endnote
X.1) and 2) you need to change the rule for anonymous authors. This
should do it for you. Keep in mind, you will have conflicts if you
actually have what APA considers an anonymous author because it has
specific rules for dealing with them in the parenthetical citations.
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that it is more likely that we
will cite more reports from organizations than anonymous works. But
just keep that in mind if you ever come across an anonymous work and a
report from an organization that you need to cite in the same paper.

Steps 1-14 part solves the problem with citing reports by organizations
in the bibliography. If you try to write an organization in the
"author" field, it uses initials inappropriately. So, for instance, you
wanted to cite something by The Arc of the United States, for instance-
it will show up in your bibliography as "States, T. A. o, T" or
something like that. This procedure works around that problem.

Open Endnote
Go edit>preferences>reference types
click "modify reference type"
scroll down to "Unused 1"

You need to ensure that the following fields are typed in in the white
column on the right: Publisher, year, title, type, Report No., City,
Institution, and Short Title. I think report number, City, and
institution are not listed- use Custom 1, 2, and 3 to enter those in.
For example, next to Custom 1 I have "Report No."
Once that is done, click "ok" then "ok" again
from the main Endnote menu- Go Edit>output styles>"edit APA 5th"
On the left side (white column) go to "Bibliography" then "Templates"
There is a box called "Reference Types" - click it, then scroll down and
look for "unused 1." Find it and click it.
Now it should show up in the list of reference types (you will see
journal article, book, etc.) look closely in the list and find it.
click it

in the white space below it, copy and paste (minus the quotes) "Short
Title. (Year). Title| (|Type| No. Report No|)|. City|: Publisher|."
Publisher, Year, Title, Type, Report Number, City, and Short Title
should all appear EXACTLY the way you typed them in step 7. This step
will also be different if you have different type of report top cite.

Press ctrl + s. Now close it out by clicking the x below the x in the
upper right hand corner. If it asks to save- do it.
make a new reference (ctl+n)
Under "reference type" you should see "Unused 1" as an option- that is
what you should use for reports with no authors. Reports with authors
are already included in the list of reference types.
To solve the parenthetical citation problem (there is no "author" as
Endnote defines it), you need to do a couple more things.

remember the field "Short title?" it will come into play now
for any particular report, you will need to enter (most likely) the
publisher into the "Short title" field. In the Publisher field, you
will likely have "Author" (see the APA 5th ed manual pages 257-59 to see
what I am talking about.

In Endnote, go Go Edit>output styles>"edit APA 5th"
in the left column go to "anonymous works"
tick "Use short title in place of author" and hit ctrl + S

close out (save if prompted)
IMPORTANT: Now, when you enter a citation for a report from an
organization, you type "author" in the "publisher" field and you write
the organizational name in the "Short Title" field.
This citation you will have to force yourself to remember how to enter
since the headings are not the same as the content you put in "eg, Short
Title is where you put the organizations name in."

Is there a better solution to this problem? It seems like a pretty big
glitch either in Endnote or the APA format in particular. It should not
treat organizational names the same as individual authors!

-John

Re: Endnote issue- report from an organization or
Author:    Posted: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 12:57:39 -0400
governmentagency
Sender: /> Precedence: bulk
John

This is an oldie but a goodie. Entering the author as

US Census Bureau, (note the comma)

and you will get in text

(US Census Bureau, 2003)

and in the bib

US Census Bureau. (2003). Report title.

EN reads the "US Census Bureau," as a last name.

in APA
Sender: /> Precedence: bulk

--

David Harvey
60 Gipps Street

Re: Endnote issue- report from an organization or
Author: Duncan Branley    Posted: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 13:16:31 -0400
governmentagency
Sender: /> Precedence: bulk
Dear John

This is easily achieved by entering in the author field:

US Census Bureau,

Or

The Arc of the United States,

That final comma tells EndNote to treat everything before it like a
compound surname eg 'de Gaulle', 'da Vinci', 'von Eschenbach' etc.

If you have an institutional name which itself contains a comma, you can
exploit another feature of EndNote names: a post-nominal accretion such
a Jnr or III eg 'George Bush Jnr' can be entered after a second comma.
EndNote represents this just as entered so it does not get converted to
initials as might be required with forenames by some output formats. For
example,

Bush, George, Jnr

Or generalized

Surname, Firstnames, post-nominals

So to enter my institution in its full legal format I would enter:

Goldsmiths College,, University of London

The first comma ensures that Goldsmiths College always appears in full.
The second and third have no space between them and anything following
the third is reproduced exactly as entered (constrained by how the
output style treats the particular entry's appearance, that is, in-text
or in footnote/endnote citation or bibliographic listing).

HTH,

Duncan

--
Duncan Branley
Research Applications Officer, IT Services Goldsmiths, University of