Word X quitting

Search email archive for  

Word X quitting
Author:    Posted: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 11:05:55 -0400
I'm an OS X user w/ EN 6.0.2 and had no problems until this past week when
an occasional citation would get formatted strangely (full author name,
year) instead of in APA (last name, initials, year) like those in the
remainder of the document. Today I couldn't open word documents and word
"unexpectedly quit" right after the document appeared. Opening word from the
project gallery results in the same crash.

Word Tech support found a temporary but not very helpful work-around that
bypasses EN and enables me to open my document, suggesting that the problem
is with EN.

I've uninstalled/reinstalled EN, and was able to open Word for a brief
period. After restarting my computer later in the day, Word once again
quit. I uninstalled/reinstalled WORD and EN and the problem remains. I
attempted to see if the 'recover library' function would help, and EN then
unexpectedly quit part way through the process.

I'm in the final stage of writing a 300 page thesis with a graduation
deadline in 3 days. The document is made up of < 100 page
chapters/separate documents. Perhaps the size of the library (4700 ref?) or
word documents has reached a critical mass? Or maybe my computer knows we're
at the end of project... Any suggestions?????


Veronique Mead, MD, grad student
Boulder, CO

Re: Word X quitting
Author: Kiernan O'Rourke-Phipps    Posted: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 09:26:24 -0700
I had the same problem running OSX 10.2.3 & Endnote 6.0.2. I went online to
some of the Word and Endnote forums to see if others had the same problem.
After reading really painful suggestions that included uninstalling all my
RAM and buying new RAM (because OSX is super sensitive), I decided that
these people were just shooting in the dark--the way tech support people
often do.

I found the best suggestion was to buy Font Doctor and get rid of the fonts
in my system that have become corrupted over time. I hadn't thought of that
and since others had said it helped them I thought it was worth the try. It
was.

I also have Disk Warrior which helps diagnose problems in OS X. I used that
next. I then reinstalled OS X (not a reformat just a reinstall leaving my
software and files intact) Endnote 6.0.2 and Word X. Now Word & Endnote are
quite happy with each other.

I do think there is a need for another update to Endnote for OS X 10.2.3
users to improve compatibility. Oh yes, the Endnote APA wizard for Word no
longer functions since upgrading to Endnote 6.0.2, even after the
reinstalls.

Good luck,

Kiernan O'Rourke-Phipps, M.A.




> From: /> > Reply-To: /> > Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 11:05:55 -0400 (EDT)
> To: /> > Subject: Word X quitting
>
> I'm an OS X user w/ EN 6.0.2 and had no problems until this past week when
> an occasional citation would get formatted strangely (full author name,
> year) instead of in APA (last name, initials, year) like those in the
> remainder of the document. Today I couldn't open word documents and word
> "unexpectedly quit" right after the document appeared. Opening word from
the
> project gallery results in the same crash.
>
> Word Tech support found a temporary but not very helpful work-around that
> bypasses EN and enables me to open my document, suggesting that the
problem
> is with EN.
>
> I've uninstalled/reinstalled EN, and was able to open Word for a brief
> period. After restarting my computer later in the day, Word once again
> quit. I uninstalled/reinstalled WORD and EN and the problem remains. I
> attempted to see if the 'recover library' function would help, and EN then
> unexpectedly quit part way through the process.
>
> I'm in the final stage of writing a 300 page thesis with a graduation
> deadline in 3 days. The document is made up of < 100 page
> chapters/separate documents. Perhaps the size of the library (4700 ref?)
or
> word documents has reached a critical mass? Or maybe my computer knows
we're
> at the end of project... Any suggestions?????
>
>
> Veronique Mead, MD, grad student
> Boulder, CO

Word X quitting
Author: Guillaume Daudin    Posted: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 08:58:19 +0200
Hi,

I have had the same problem for some time. The workaround I use is to
unformat the citations (through the Endnote menu) in the word document
as soon as it opens. Then I can use Endnote/Word normally.

Guillaume Daudin
Economist
OFCE, Paris

Le vendredi, 18 avr 2003, à 08:00 Europe/Paris, endnote-interest-digest
a écrit :

>
> endnote-interest-digest Friday, April 18 2003 Volume 01 : Number
> 1332
>
>
>
> In this issue:
>
> Word X quitting
> need more templates
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 11:05:55 -0400 (EDT)
> From: /> > Subject: Word X quitting
>
> I'm an OS X user w/ EN 6.0.2 and had no problems until this past week
> when
> an occasional citation would get formatted strangely (full author name,
> year) instead of in APA (last name, initials, year) like those in the
> remainder of the document. Today I couldn't open word documents and
> word
> "unexpectedly quit" right after the document appeared. Opening word
> from the
> project gallery results in the same crash.
>
> Word Tech support found a temporary but not very helpful work-around
> that
> bypasses EN and enables me to open my document, suggesting that the
> problem
> is with EN.
>
> I've uninstalled/reinstalled EN, and was able to open Word for a brief
> period. After restarting my computer later in the day, Word once again
> quit. I uninstalled/reinstalled WORD and EN and the problem remains.
> I
> attempted to see if the 'recover library' function would help, and EN
> then
> unexpectedly quit part way through the process.
>
> I'm in the final stage of writing a 300 page thesis with a graduation
> deadline in 3 days. The document is made up of < 100 page
> chapters/separate documents. Perhaps the size of the library (4700
> ref?) or
> word documents has reached a critical mass? Or maybe my computer knows
> we're
> at the end of project... Any suggestions?????
>
>
> Veronique Mead, MD, grad student
> Boulder, CO
>

Re: Word X quitting
Author: Carine    Posted: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 10:39:46 +0200
Hello,

I have the same problem, one solution, not ideal, but better than
reinstalling everything each time you quit word, is to suppress the
microsoft preference directory (under home/library/Preferences) each
time you launch word...

Carine van Heijenoort
Gif sur Yvette, France


Le jeudi, 17 avr 2003, à 17:05 Europe/Paris, a
écrit :

> I'm an OS X user w/ EN 6.0.2 and had no problems until this past week
> when
> an occasional citation would get formatted strangely (full author name,
> year) instead of in APA (last name, initials, year) like those in the
> remainder of the document. Today I couldn't open word documents and
> word
> "unexpectedly quit" right after the document appeared. Opening word
> from the
> project gallery results in the same crash.
>
> Word Tech support found a temporary but not very helpful work-around
> that
> bypasses EN and enables me to open my document, suggesting that the
> problem
> is with EN.
>
> I've uninstalled/reinstalled EN, and was able to open Word for a brief
> period. After restarting my computer later in the day, Word once again
> quit. I uninstalled/reinstalled WORD and EN and the problem remains.
> I
> attempted to see if the 'recover library' function would help, and EN
> then
> unexpectedly quit part way through the process.
>
> I'm in the final stage of writing a 300 page thesis with a graduation
> deadline in 3 days. The document is made up of < 100 page
> chapters/separate documents. Perhaps the size of the library (4700
> ref?) or
> word documents has reached a critical mass? Or maybe my computer knows
> we're
> at the end of project... Any suggestions?????
>
>
> Veronique Mead, MD, grad student
> Boulder, CO
>
>

Re: Word X quitting
Author: Veronique P Mead    Posted: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 13:26:42 -0700
re: Word Quitting.

I stumbled across a solution by saving what appear to have been corrupt
files as new files, simply by using "save as". Endnote tech support
recommended this as well. Ah, here's to simple solutions!

Thanks,

Veronique

Previous by date: need more templates,  Raffaella Palazzo
Next by date: Re: Word X quitting,  Kiernan O'Rourke-Phipps
Previous thread: Using abbreviations for the Tertiary tile field, Harry Hoffner
Next thread: Word X quitting