page numbers

Search email archive for

page numbers
Author: Bob Hudson    Posted: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 09:01:36 +1000
I have recently started using Endnote 5 with Word 97. After a few crashes
and error messages while using "cite as you write", I have been using the
insert code and update method with no real problems.
However I'm having trouble working out how to consistently display page
numbers in in-text references.
My template for citations is (Page.Year.Cited.Pages)
My preferred citation is (Jones 2001: 12-16)
An article on the Endnote website seems to suggest that using the @ sign for
page numbers is not the way to go, but that the pages should be added as a
suffix.
Is that the case? And if so, what is the @ for?
Also, how do I cite multiple pages from the same author, eg
(Jones 2001: 12-16, 43, 100)

Bob Hudson
Archaeology Department, University of Sydney, Australia.
http://www.archaeology.usyd.edu.au/~hudson/bobhpage.htm
*

Editing Page Numbers in APA Format citations
Author: Reuille, Kristina Marie    Posted: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 15:43:02 -0500
Hi there Dan-

I think that what you need to do is add the page number as a suffix. I use
APA format, too, and when I need to add a page number, I type

, p. 566

in the suffix part, and it adds the page number to the citation in the text.
Just be sure to test it out and make sure it comes out right... spacing and
commas are necessary, I think (it has been a little while since i did this,
actually,) you may only need a leading space, or you may need a comma and a
leading space. (I think it is the latter, because what EndNote does is
append this information to the end of the (Smith, 1999) before the last
Parenthesis, which is why you don't need to add a Parenthesis.

Therefore, the formatted citation should come out like this

(Smith, 1999, p. 566)

If it does not look just right, you may need to tweak what you put in the
suffix field. This also works for citations where you delete the author and
year... you are left with

(p. 566)

You may not need the leading comma, the more I think about it, but try it
both ways... if you wind up with an extra comma, leave it out.

Hope this helps-

Kristi Reuille
Doctoral Student
Indiana University School of Nursing

Author: Patti Shank    Posted: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 06:38:53 -0600
Even though there's a field for page numbers in the edit dialog box, you
have to ass them as a suffix, not a page number. Weird!

Patti

> Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 13:21:39 -0400
> From: "Dan Simpson" /> > Subject: Page Numbers in APA 5th
>
> I can't seem to get page numbers to stay in my citations in APA 5th. I
have

> tried adding them directly and by adding them in the citation information
> box. While the numbers will remain for a short time if I add them
directly,

> when new citations are added below the page number disappears. Can anyone
> offer advise. What am I doing wrong?
>
> ARB

page numbers
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 17:55:57 -0700
Subject: page numbers
Author: sarahclark52 (Visitor)
Date: 10-07-2009 01:55 AM

Hi there,   I am having a few problems when I enter page numbers into my endnotes.  sometimes the reference details are followed by a comma then the page numbers and other times they are followed by : Does anyone know how I control this? Thanks, Sarah

Re: page numbers
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 20:04:25 -0700
Subject: Re: page numbers
Author: johneast (Enthusiast)
Date: 10-07-2009 04:04 AM

This is the correct format if you are following the Chicago Manual of Style. Journal articles have a colon before the page number, and books have a comma.   If you want to change it, go to EndNote and click on Edit>Output Styles>Edit [your style]   When the style edit window opens, go to Footnotes in the left-hand panel, and click on the Templates subheading.   On the right-hand side of the window, look at the templates for the individual reference types. You will see that some have a colon before "Cited Pages", and some have a comma. You can make changes here if you want to.

Re: page numbers
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 18:06:50 -0700
Author: sarahclark52 (User)
Date: 10-09-2009 02:06 AM

Thanks so much, all sorted now.

Re: page numbers
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 13:40:39 -0700
Author: sarahclark52 (Regular)
Date: 10-11-2009 09:40 PM

Hi there,   I still seem to be having trouble with this, for example: Luis, A. Huerta and Chad d'Entrmont, "Education Tax Credits in a Post-"Zelman" Era: Legal, Political and Policy Alternatives to Vouchers?," Education Policy 21, no. 1 (2007): 102  And then when I enter the same reference it appears: Huerta and d'Entremont, "Education Tax Credits in a Post-"Zelman" Era: Legal, Political and Policy Alternatives to Vouchers?, 75.  Any suggestions on how to keep this consistent would be great - thanks.

Re: page numbers
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 14:01:40 -0700
Author: Leanne (Authority)
Date: 10-11-2009 10:01 PM

Again in the Chicago style, this is by design.  See the attachment.  If you don't want the short form, you need to change these settings.

Re: page numbers
Author: Community Mailer    Posted: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 15:55:27 -0700
Author: johneast (Enthusiast)
Date: 10-11-2009 11:55 PM

This is correct if using the Chicago Manual of Style. The colon is required following a bracket, but in repeat citations there is no bracket, so a comma is used. See section 17.179 of the 15th edition of the manual.   By the way, you probably should edit that reference in your EndNote library, and enter a short title in the Short Title field. EndNote will use this short title in the repeat citations.