what limits do you place on types of documents you will use endnote

Search email archive for

what limits do you place on types of documents you will use endnote
Author: Rafael Garcia    Posted: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 10:48:35 -0500
for
Sender: /> Precedence: bulk
I use endnote in a pretty typical fashion...to file scientific papers
and creat bibliographies. But I often get documents that are not
scientific papers and I will never use in a bibliography, but I DO want
to be able to find later for reference. Just a typical example...today
I got a sheet of instructions from our graphics department for doing
large print jobs. I'm tempted to throw it in my EndNote library; I
could find some other home for it, but chances are I'd lose it or spend
an hour searching for it when I need it. So, the question begins to
arrise...do I use EndNote for every document I want to save for future
reference? One sort of scary part of this is... if I ever lost the
EndNote library for some reason, the my physical and electronic
documents would be totally disorganized (I store my physical documents
by EndNote reference #; the physical documents are not sorted in any
other way; and yes, I always back up my EN library).

A follow-up Q: Endnote doesn't let you define custom document types
does it? Some documents, like my example above, don't fit easily into
any of the standard categories (journal artical, book, ....)

Thanks for your ideas and thoughts!

Rafael Garcia
Research Chemical Engineer
USDA-ARS
Eastern Regional Research Center
600 East Mermaid Ln.
Wydnmoor PA 19038
voice: 215-836-3743
fax: 215-233-6795
/> **please notice e-mail address has changed slightly

RE: what limits do you place on types of documents you will use
Author: Listmaster    Posted: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 18:11:13 -0500 (
endnote
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 17:13:51 -0600
From: "Wiedemann, Leanne" /> To: /> Sender: /> Precedence: bulk
Yes you can define custom document types. you go to edit, preferences,
reference types (there are three unused, but there are so many others, which
are rarely used, you might as well start with something you never use
though.

I actually just started doing this too. I had pdf's of instructions for a
piece of equipment and another on powerpoint skills. I just left them as a
journal article though, and didn't put any title, which makes it easy to
find them, I just sort on title and the empty ones come up first.... I used
the author field to name what they were (with a comma at the end).

Author: Karla Huebner    Posted: Fri, 04 Apr 2003 07:35:17 -0500
On this topic, what are some of the custom document types that people have
found particularly useful in the humanities? I am a little hesitant to
start defining new types of book (compiled by, illustrated by, forward by,
afterword by, edited and translated by, as told to, catalog) when there are
only three unused document types and about the only other types I cannot
imagine using are Equation and Computer Program.

Karla Huebner
History of Art and Architecture
University of Pittsburgh

Author: Glen Fuller    Posted: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 09:14:54 +1000
Media release!

Glen Fuller, PhD Candidate
Centre for Cultural Research
University of Western Sydney

Author: Karla Huebner    Posted: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 21:58:29 -0400
Hmm, I do have one or two press releases in my files; I suppose that in
researching contemporary artists (authors, composers, theater groups, drug
companies, whatnot) this could in some cases be a significant type of
document.

Karla Huebner

Author: Glen Fuller    Posted: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 22:54:30 +1000
Also when you are investigating 'moral panics' and the ways in which
authorities are attempting to represent 'deviants/deviance.' Some of the
media releases are as juicy as a tabloid weekly!