Template Usage

Search email archive for

Template Usage
Author: Wiedemann, Leanne    Posted: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 10:53:32 -0500
Adam,

Well, you are the first person I know who planned to use the templates. I
tried and haven't done it again, since when I went to submit the paper, and
unlinked the fields using the Endnote button (recommended prior to
submission), my document became an absolute "randomly formatted" mess of
single spacing, loss of heading formatting, etc.

Have you used them for other journals? Does it work for you?

How many in this user group, actually have used the templates and what is
your experience?

(I bet ISI will lurk on this discussion).

In replies, please make the subject Re: Template Usage, even if coming in
from the digest, please.

Author: Mary Peterson    Posted: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 08:32:11 +0930
I don't know about templates per se, but here's what I do when a new style
is needed: When I teach EndNote I include a section on creating your own
style. There are still plenty of journals without styles listed in EndNote,
and if some of them are just far enough away from an already existing style
creating your own is an option. What I generally do is suggest that folks
find a stlye that's close, edit it in the templates and save it as the
journal name they're writing for. Then choose that style from Style Manager,
and apply it when formatting. It's a bit tricky (especially when you realise
that you've forgetton to do a reference type in the style and suddently need
it!), but it works. By creating the new style, you nave the templates, too,
of course. Does this help?

Mary Peterson

Author: Wiedemann, Leanne    Posted: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 11:46:33 -0500

Just to clarify, but in Endnote 6, an additional option, available from
Endnote itself (or from file, new, choose the endnote templates tab) is to
use a template wizard which allows you to select, create specific authors
(with addresses, etc), Title, keywords, short title, etc and then a
manuscript with all the sections, will be created in the correct order and
set up to use the correct style. You just have to fill it in with words
(unfortunately it won't write the paper for you...smile) It tends to give
you a bit of journal specific info, like the maximum length the abstract can
be, etc. It is separate from the Styles, although I think the correct style
for the references list for each journal is automatically linked/selected if
you use the template wizard for a specific journal. There are about 150
templates provide with endnote. There are many more styles provided (which
most of us are used to using/adjusting).

I myself, rarely know for sure, which journal I am going to submit to, at
the time I start writing my paper!

Re: Template usage
Author: Raffaella Palazzo    Posted: Thu, 8 May 2003 10:18:04 +0200
Thanks to all for your tips on my template issues.
Kind regards,

Adam