Reference Type

Search email archive for

Reference Type
Author: Harry Hoffner    Posted: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 11:19:38 -0500
I would like to change the Reference Type in multiple (about 50) references.
I once knew (in EN 5, I think) how to do this, but can no longer recall. I
checked every entry in my EndNote 6 manual for "reference type" to see if I
could find the instructions without bothering a tech support person or the
user list. But I couldn't. The manual's "Change reference Type" refers to
setting defaults, etc. Is there anywhere in the manual where my problem is
addressed? When I try the "change Field" the field "Reference Type" is not
listed among the options.

At the EndNote Web Site under archived user group queries I found the
following:

John East
Sat, 15 Jun 2002 09:31:20 +1000
Re: changing reference type for multiple references
Sometime ago I created a whole lot of new references as 'generic' and now I
> would like to change some to e.g. reports and others to personal
> communications. I'm still using Endnote 4.

Select (highlight) the references you wish to change to a particular
reference type .

Click on References>Show Selected

Click on References>Change Text

In the box at the top of the new window, use the drop-down menu, and scroll
to the very bottom to select reference type

In the second box, type in the text you wish to search for, i.e. Generic

In the bottom box, type the new text, e.g. Report

Click on the Change button.

A dialogue box will ask you to confirm the changes.

John East
University of Queensland Library
Email: "john.east"

BUT ...., currently I have about 30 references which were once in a user
defined custom "book Review" field that now no longer exists, which refs are
now in a "Generic" field. When I issue a Find command to EN6 asking for all
refs with Reference type "Generic", it returns "No matching refs found".

What goes?

Thanks.

--
Harry A. Hoffner, Jr., The John A. Wilson Professor of Hittitology Emeritus
at the University of Chicago. Home address: 8421 Creekside Ln, Darien, IL

Reference Type
Author: Harry Hoffner    Posted: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 11:09:36 -0500
I would like to change the Reference Type in multiple (about 50) references.
I once knew (in EN 5, I think) how to do this, but can no longer recall. I
checked every entry in my EndNote 6 manual for "reference type" to see if I
could find the instructions without bothering a tech support person or the
user list. But I couldn't. The manual's "Change reference Type" refers to
setting defaults, etc. Is there anywhere in the manual where my problem is
addressed? When I try the "change Field" the field "Reference Type" is not
listed among the options.

As if this isn't enough of a problem, currently I have about 30 references
which were once in a user defined custom "book Review" field that now no
longer exists, and the refs are in a "Generic" field. When I issue a Find
command to EN6 asking for all refs with Reference type "Generic", it returns
"No matching refs found".

what goes?

Thanks.

--
Harry A. Hoffner, Jr., The John A. Wilson Professor of Hittitology Emeritus
at the University of Chicago. Home address: 8421 Creekside Ln, Darien, IL
60561; voice line 630-910-1840; e-mail: />

Re: Reference Type
Author: Wood    Posted: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 13:17:35 -0400
John,

Try 'Change Text' instead of 'Change Field'. I'm still on EN5, but this
may help.

Gordon
======================

Author: Wood    Posted: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 13:27:06 -0400
Sorry, Harry. I used your example name instead of your name. My
apologies. Gordon
========================

Harry Hoffner wrote:

I would like to change the Reference Type in multiple............

Examples of custom reference types
Author: Yasmine Abboud    Posted: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 14:02:48 +0000
Hi

Has anyone got any good examples of custom reference types they've created
using the Unused1/2/3 types?
I'm putting together an in-house EndNote training session and want a simple
example to demonstrate.
Thanks,

Yasmine

RE: Examples of custom reference types
Author: Vicki Roberts    Posted: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 13:39:25 +1000
I have a guide I use for teaching people about endnote reference types. It
includes a table at the end of the guide with a suggested Conference Paper
reference type.

It is freely available on the web at
http://www.library.cqu.edu.au/endnote/reftypesv6.htm

I hope this is of some use to you.

Vicki

Vicki Roberts
Acting Faculty Liaison Librarian - Arts
Liaison Librarian - Research Staff and Students
Central Queensland University Library
**********
Phone: (07) 49232136
Email: /> **********
CQU Library, Building 10
CQ Mail Centre
Rockhampton, Qld Australia 4702

Author: Martin Unwin    Posted: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 08:31:04 +1200
> From: "Yasmine Abboud" /> > Subject: Examples of custom reference types
>
> Has anyone got any good examples of custom reference types they've
> created using the Unused1/2/3 types?
>
> Yasmine

Dear Yasmine

I don't know if this is a "good" example, but I have found it useful to
create a "Seminar/Talk" ref type. This covers oral presentations
which do not easily fit any of the existing types, but which my
organisation likes to record as evidence of ongoing technology
transfer and interaction with the general public. The fields I use,
and the names assigned to them, are:

Default Name Assigned Name
Author Author
Year Year
Title Title
Place Published Location
Date Date
Custom 2 Audience

A typical example is:

Author Unwin, M J
Year 2001
Title The salmon sports fishery: patterns and processes
Location Environment Canterbury Offices, Christchurch
Date 13 June 2001
Audience Canterbury Regional Council

A typical Style entry for this reference type is:

Author. (Year). Title. `Presented to` Audience, Location, Date.

So the above example comes out as:

Unwin, M.J. (2001). The salmon sports fishery: patterns and
processes. Presented to Canterbury Regional Council,
Environment Canterbury Offices, Christchurch, 13 June 2001.

Mundane, but useful.

Cheers
Martin

Martin Unwin
Fisheries Biologist (salmon life history & aquaculture)
National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research
PO Box 8602, Christchurch, New Zealand
Phone: 64-3-343-7885 (DDI)
64-3-348-8987 (Reception)
64-3-385-9019 (After hours)
Fax: 64-3-348-5548
Email: /> ----------------------------------------------------

RE: Examples of custom reference types

Author: Martin Unwin    Posted: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 08:31:04 +1200
> From: "Yasmine Abboud" /> > Subject: Examples of custom reference types
>
> Has anyone got any good examples of custom reference types they've
> created using the Unused1/2/3 types?
>
> Yasmine

Dear Yasmine

I don't know if this is a "good" example, but I have found it useful to
create a "Seminar/Talk" ref type. This covers oral presentations
which do not easily fit any of the existing types, but which my
organisation likes to record as evidence of ongoing technology
transfer and interaction with the general public. The fields I use,
and the names assigned to them, are:

Author Author
Year Year
Title Title
Place Published Location
Date Date
Custom 2 Audience

A typical example is:

Author Unwin, M J
Year 2001
Title The salmon sports fishery: patterns and processes
Location Environment Canterbury Offices, Christchurch
Date 13 June 2001