Displaying whole record on one "page"

Search email archive for

Displaying whole record on one "page"
Author: Alan Nonymous    Posted: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 09:34:54 +0000
Even with a 17" screen I find I can only see as far down as the ISBN number
of each record without paging down. Normally, however, I want to scan
through the notes, keyword and abstract fields of several records. When I go

between records I am always returned to the top of the screen each time I
look at a new one. Has anyone found a way around this? A way to reduce the
overall font size or re-order the fields shown for example? Is this
something that is fixed in v. 6?

http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger

Re: Displaying whole record on one "page"
Author: J Virginia Benjamin    Posted: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 11:57:45 EST
Hello,

If you click on the Keywords box on one record (as though you were going
to edit it) then click the Next arrow, the following record will display the
field
you boxed. However, I dislike this because the keywords/abstract is out of
context of the author/journal which requires up-scrolling

So I recommend a workaround...

If you especially want to see the abstract, I recommend in the List view,
select Annotated Style under Output Style and in the Preview Pane you will
see the brief citation *and* the abstract. I think this is the most
efficient
way to review multiple records because it gives you authors/journal *and*
abstract all the in same view, whereas in the record-by-record review the
lower fields such as keyword and abstract appears out of context.

Keywords don't fit in anywhere very efficiently for a view...Show All as a
style for the Preview Pane gets pretty long and scroll-intensive.

oh, I forgot to mention, you can enlarge the Preview Pane by grabbing the
separator bar and pulling up so you can see all/most of the abstract. You
can use the down arrow keys to navigate down the list and change the
content of the preview pane for each consecutive record.

I encourage UGA users of research databases to do quick exports of their
search matches into Endnote in maximum quantities allowable (100, 500,
etc) and then at their leisure review the records in the Annotated style in
the Preview Pane and decide which to keep and which to delete. One
doesn't have to be online and the PP view may even be superior to the
database record view. I call it Endnote's "time management" feature
<smile>

No full-screen options in EN4 and 5; in my teaching of EN6 I haven't seen a
full-screen view option...but I haven't installed 6 at my desk yet..

virginia benjamin
univ. of georgia libraries

From: "Alan Nonymous" /> To: /> Subject: Displaying whole record on one "page"
Date sent: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 09:34:54 +0000
Send reply to: />

Author: Guenter Jost    Posted: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 09:16:23 +0200
Here is another workaround which is similar to the one suggested by Virginia
Benjamin.

The suggested output style may be replaced by a self created(modified) one
which just shows you the record as you want.
Than you should select the references you want to see and activate the
preview window with your selected style.
You can enlarge the preview window even until filling nearly the whole
screen.
The record list above should be reduced until you only see two (!!) records.
This allows you to go through the selected records just by pressing always
the Page-down key.

Hope that this meets your needs,

Guenter

Re: Displaying whole record on one "page"