Endnote

Search email archive for

Endnote
Author: Trudie    Posted: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 12:05:44 +0000
Dear sir/madam

My question is:

I need to update from a Access Database and link it with Endnote a group of
people and their publications.

How do I group the people together to show in one list and between a certain

date what publications they have done?

Your help would be great.

Many Thanks

Trudie

Trudie Bryson
Data Co-ordinator
Northern Institute for Cancer Research
Medical School
University of Newcastle upon Tyne
Framlington Place
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE2 4HH
Tel: 0191 222 3504
Fax: 0191 222 7556
Email: />

running mac EndNote 6 on macOS 9
Author: Fuzy    Posted: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 15:16:31 -0800
hey,

I was wondering if anyone has had any luck running EndNote 6 a macOS 9
machine. I've tried the demo, and it seems to run and seems to install an
add-in for Word 2001... but has anyone tried this on a long term basis (and
had success)?

rich

problem using endnote 6 with xp
Author: Dheeraj Awasthy    Posted: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 10:26:38 +0530
Dear friends,

I have recently updated my office XP with SP1 & SP2 and am using endnote
6.0.

I am unable to insert references in my word document. As soon as I insert
the citation it appears and then vanishes in a flash.

Any idea.

Regards,

Dheeraj

EndNote Demo problem
Author: Antonios D Liolios    Posted: Sat, 8 Feb 2003 09:58:46 -0800 (
Dear friends

I am using the demo endnote v6 with windows and word xp and i cannot
exit word by hitting on the "x" button of the upper right corner,
word freezes

any ideas?

Antonios Liolios
Belgium

PS I have used the patch 6.02

http://mailplus.yahoo.com

EndNote 3 and Statistica
Author: Debbie Booth    Posted: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 09:47:07 +1100

Using EndNote 3 and Wordperfect 9 the following message appears when
formatting a paper. The paper in question is 169 pages with multiple
tables and figures, some created in Statistica (version 6.0).

"1. STATIST has caused an error in OLE32.DLL
If you continue to experience problems,
Try restarting your computer.

2. OLE server could not save the object information"

Has anyone else experienced problems formatting papers with links to
Statistica?

Debbie Booth
Faculty Librarian - Engineering & Built Environment
University of Newcastle, NSW 2308
Email: />
Phone: 02-49218627
Fax: 02-49215833

default EndNote filter
Author: Boy De Haas    Posted: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 09:56:16 +0100

Hi,

When exporting search results from Metalib via the Citation manager format,
EndNote opens automatically and the results are filtered to an EndNote
Library via the default filter. We wrote a new filter and now we should like
to make it the default filter when starting up Metalib.
Can someone tell me how to replace a default import filter for Metalib in
EndNote?

Kind regards,

Boy de Haas
Senior project manager
Division of Electronic Services
Research & Development Department
University Library,
Universiteit van Amsterdam
Singel 425, 1012 WP Amsterdam, the Netherlands
phone: ++31 20 5252061, fax: ++31 20 5252311

/> ______________________________________________

Endnote installation freezes
Author: Stefan Daske    Posted: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 17:29:30 +0100
Hi,

I have the same problem when installing: endnote: The installer freezes
always at or near 88%. I have tried everything that is suggested in the
support document NT0000EBB2 but were still not successfull. Has anybody an
idea how to solve the problem?

Thanks,

St Daske

Author: Michael H Lester    Posted: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 12:53:18 -0800
Hi,

I tried to uninstall EndNote 6 Demo from my Windows 2000 system, but after
running uninstall, it seems everything but the install log was still there.
I manually deleted the EndNote Program directory, and an EndNote
subdirectory from my "documents and settings" directory, but the EndNote
Toolbar still appears in Word. And who knows where else EndNote may lurk?

How can I do a complete uninstall of EndNote?
I would like the ToolBar entry in Word to go away and any other files or
registry entries that may be on my machine to also go away.

Thanks,

Michael

RE: Uninstall EndNote 6 Demo from Windows2000
Author: Kreuille    Posted: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 17:03:03 -0500
Hi Michael-

I am not sure how you uninstalled. If you did not use "Add/Remove programs"
from the control panel, try running that... Although it may not work if you
have manually deleted stuff.

The MS Word stuff is an add in that can be removed through word, if the
endnote installer did not do it... Go to Tools Templates and Add-ins in Word
and remove the endnote options there. It also gives you a directory where
that stuff may be stored on your hard drive.

Registry stuff is out of my league for this uninstall. Maybe someone else
can help here. My guess with registry stuff is it is better to leave
well-enough alone.

Kristi

Kristina M. Reuille
Doctoral Student
Indiana University School of Nursing
Indianapolis, Indiana

I tried to uninstall EndNote 6 Demo from my Windows 2000 system, but after
running uninstall, it seems everything but the install log was still there.
I manually deleted the EndNote Program directory, and an EndNote
subdirectory from my "documents and settings" directory, but the EndNote
Toolbar still appears in Word. And who knows where else EndNote may lurk?

How can I do a complete uninstall of EndNote?
I would like the ToolBar entry in Word to go away and any other files or
registry entries that may be on my machine to also go away.

Thanks,

Michael

RE: Endnote installation freezes

Author: Michael H Lester    Posted: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 09:51:48 -0800
Hi, Kristina,

Thanks for you response.

Yes, I did use Add Remove programs in Control Panel to remove EndNote 6
demo, but after the uninstall ran, it seemed as though all the files were
still on my computer and the program still ran fine. I reinstalled the
program and tried uninstall again, but got the same result.

I have found where to delete the toolbar, so hopefully I got rid of most of
it.

Thanks,
Michael

Re: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1292
Author: Patrick Tooth    Posted: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 12:04:34 +1100
Peter,
I just tried to save and import from Ovid PsychInfo into EN6 and it works
fine
(except for one book chapter!). Select your references in PsychInfo, save
from
Ovid in Reprint/Medlars format to a file with .txt extension. Then in
Endnote,
import using Endnote's PsychINFO (OVID) filter.
Cheers,
Patrick

--

Patrick Tooth
Faculty Liaison Librarian (Information Technology)

Tel: +61 2 9514 3318
E-mail: />

UTS CRICOS Provider Code: 00099F

DISCLAIMER
This email message and any accompanying attachments may contain
confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, do not
read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or attachments.
immediately and delete this message. Any views expressed in this message
are those of the individual sender, except where the sender expressly,
and with authority, states them to be the views the University of
Technology Sydney. Before opening any attachments, please check them for
viruses and defects.

serialized articles in Endnote
Author: Karla Huebner    Posted: Sun, 02 Mar 2003 10:57:37 -0500
For anyone who encounters a journal article that begins in one issue and
continues into one or more later issues, the workaround (at least for
Chicago 14th A output) is to put the unruly information into the Issue
field. In other words, to get

Teige, Karel. "Slova, Slova, Slova." Horizont 1, no. 1 (Jan.): 1-3, no.
2 (Feb.): 29-32, no. 3 (Mar.): 44-47, no. 4 (Apr.): 70-73 (1927).

put "1 (Jan.): 1-3, no. 2 (Feb.): 29-32, no. 3 (Mar.): 44-47, no. 4
(Apr.): 70-73" in Issue. Endnote will provide the first "no." but of
course no subsequent ones. Leave the Pages field blank.

Karla Huebner
University of Pittsburgh

Endnote 3- RE: Problem: ProQuest ABI Info - Connection File!
Author: Sanjay Seth    Posted: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 17:49:48 +0900
Sorry, I forgot to mention in my previous message that I am using EndNote
3.

Best regards,
Sanjay

Author: Rupert Holzapfel    Posted: Sat, 1 Mar 2003 18:45:10 +1000
I had the same problem. Concurrently Endnote altered some in-text
citations in the vicinity of where I was working in the document. It =
not
only changed the formatted version of the citation to the preceding =
one,
but also inserted a yet completely different unformatted citation in =
its
place. Sounds odd, I know, but that's what happened. I saved and closed
the document as well as the Endnote library and openend both again. I
had to replace the incorrect citations but otherwise everything worked
normally afterwards until it happened again!
I am working with the updated version of Endnote 6, Word XP and Windows
XP. I did remove the smart tags as advised in a previous email but that
only stopped the document from the occasional 'freeze'. Cheers, Rupert

Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 23:01:02 -0500
From: "Kenneth Odom" /> Subject: MS WORD problems

I am having a problem with Endnote 6 and MS Word in Office XP locking =
up
and displaying an Endnote error. Has anyone experienced this and what
did you do to resolve it?

Thanks
Kenneth

------------------------------

End of endnote-interest-digest V1 #1297
***************************************

Endnote 6 and Word XP Solution
Author: Michael J Higgins    Posted: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 09:00:10 +0100
I had the same problem with EndNote 6 and Word XP on my computer. I
found the following on a discussion site last month and it cleared it up
for me. (I used the last 10 steps in bold.)

Good luck,

Mike

Here is the site reference:
http://lists.adeptscience.co.uk/endnote/endnote_Oct_2002/thid_b512891a87
4e39714f68c0588bf30af2.html
<http://lists.adeptscience.co.uk/endnote/endnote_Oct_2002/thid_b512891a8
74e39714f68c0588bf30af2.html>

Here is the information

EndNote 6 and WindowsXP
The following may be of interest if there are any users of this
combination at Emory.

Selden Deemer, Library Systems Administrator PHONE: 404-727-0271
Emory University Libraries FAX: 404-727-0827
Atlanta, Georgia EMAIL: "libssd"

Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 11:09:02 -0500 (EST)
From: "Endnote"
Subject: RE: Endnote 6, Windows 2000/XP and Memory Leaks

Dear Endnote Users,

We did have reports of memory leaks and freezing errors with some
machines
running Endnote 6 and Word XP. There was some dialogue about this issue
few months ago on this list. Below are two fixes that have resolved
virtually all instances of this problem.

1. Open WordXP, and open up one of your problem documents. Go to Tools /
Templates and Addins and make sure that you see at least the following
two files...
EN6Cwyw.WordXP.wll
EN6CWYW.dot
....and both files should be checked. It is okay if you also see
EN6Cwyw.wll as long as it is not checked.

2. Click on Tools / AutoCorrect Options, then click on SmartTags. Make
sure that "Label text with smart tags" is checked.

3. Under Recognizers uncheck all except "Cwyw Citation Recognizer"

4. Click on Remove Smart Tags

5. Go to Tools / Autocorrect Options / Smart Tags and Click on Recheck
Document.

You should no longer have problems working with Endnote in thes
document,
and any new documents you create should also work fine.

If you have older docs that exhibit the memory problem they you *may*
need
to repeat the following once in the document...

1. Go to Tools / Autocorrect Options / Smart Tags and click on Remove
Smart Tags.
2. Go to Tools / Autocorrect Options / Smart Tags and click on Recheck
Document.
....the first time you open them after applying the above Word
configuration change (they may have their smart tags recognized/saved
in the doc).

If the problem still persists:

1. In Word, select "Tools > Options"
2. Select "Folder locations"
3. Double-click on the "Startup" item.
4. Make a note of the startup folder location.
5. Close that window, and close Word.
6. Browse to the Endnote Program folder in Windows Explorer and look for
the file: EN6Cwyw.wll. You may have extensions hidden on your computer,
so you may not see the .wll suffix. If that is the case, make sure you
are copying the file of type "Word.Addin.8." Right-click on this file
and select "Copy."
7. Browse to the Word Startup folder location (as noted in step 4).
8. Select "Edit > Paste" to paste the Endnote add-in file into the
startup
folder.
9. Remove the file EN6Cwyw.WordXP.wll from the startup folder.
10. Start up Word and see if the problem persists.

Endnote Technical Support
Thomson ISI ResearchSoft
Berkeley, CA
(510) 559-8592
www.isiresearchsoft.com

Re: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1314
Author: Ulla Bohnes    Posted: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 11:26:13 +0100
Hello

Some weeks ago, I posted a question about sort order. Your comments helped
me so far as they showed me that I did not make any major mistake. I want
to sort the edited works of an author after the originals works. This
should be fairly simple, because in the 'edit styles - sort order'-window
there is a clickbox labeled: "Sort edited works of an author after
originals works of the same author". Unfortunately, activating this
clickbox has simply no effect on the sort order of the bibliography. Has
anybody ever worked with this option? Has anybody an idea, how I could
yield the result in any other way? (I tried almost everything in the
styles-sort order-window!) I´m working with EndNote 6.

Desperately hoping for help

Ulla Bohnes

Re: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1329
Author: Bien Baez    Posted: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 20:43:55 -0400
Hi, never mind... as Rosanne Rosanna Danna used to say, I figured out the
page number stuff. I had to look under "styles" not templates. Thanks,
Bien.

RE: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1330
Author: Barry Johnson    Posted: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 10:08:48 +0100
Dan Simpson has got it absolutely right, We have paid very good money
for what is otherwise a very good piece of software. For crying out loud
get it sorted... or is there a refund on the way?
Barry Johnson

Re: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1332
Author: Eef Weenink    Posted: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 11:40:09 +0200
Dear Veronique.

The deadline does really sounds dramatic. Hope you will get there in time.

Considering your question, I guess the next thing is happening:
Somewhere in your doc is a corrupted Endnote-citation. Word tries to format
the
citations when it starts-up and will stop or go into a loop at this place.
If so (and your description points in this direction) Word will work fine
with
other document with Endnote citiations.

First thing to do is to disable the cite while you write function. Open any
other doc in Word (so it will not crash) goto Extra|Endnote|Format and
disable
the cite while you write function. You will have to trigger the
format-fuction
manually now. This gives you the opportunity to work with the doc.

There might be a problem in the temporary endnote-file, which belongs to
your
doc. It is saved in windows/temp and will be opened each time you open the
doc.
If there is a problem in this file, it will cause the crash every time you
format the doc. Just delete this file (something like EN*.tmp) Endnote will
make a new one while it formats next time.

If this does not solve the problem, then there is the problem to find the
evil
citation (or other problem in the Word doc). I had to solve this one on
several
occasions and use the following strategie:
- Separate the doc in smaller doc (1/2 -> 1/4 )
- Open the seperated files one by one, untill the bad one is found
- Keep repeating this strategie untill by seperating this file in
smaller
partions, pages, alinena's
- Throw away the bad part. Do not try to solve this, problaby there is
one byte
wrong and you will not be able to correct this.
- Retype the lines
- Format with endnote
- If my strategy was correct the problem should be solved and you can
turn cite
while you write back online.

Which you a lot of success. Eef

Datum verz. Fri, 18 Apr 2003 02:00:04 -0400 (EDT)
Van: /> (endnote-interest-digest)
Aan: /> Onderwerp: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1332
Antwoord naar: />

endnote-interest-digest Friday, April 18 2003 Volume 01 : Number 1332

In this issue:

Word X quitting
need more templates

Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 11:05:55 -0400 (EDT)
From: /> Subject: Word X quitting

I'm an OS X user w/ EN 6.0.2 and had no problems until this past week when
an occasional citation would get formatted strangely (full author name,
year) instead of in APA (last name, initials, year) like those in the
remainder of the document. Today I couldn't open word documents and word
"unexpectedly quit" right after the document appeared. Opening word from the
project gallery results in the same crash.

Word Tech support found a temporary but not very helpful work-around that
bypasses EN and enables me to open my document, suggesting that the problem
is with EN.

I've uninstalled/reinstalled EN, and was able to open Word for a brief
period. After restarting my computer later in the day, Word once again
quit. I uninstalled/reinstalled WORD and EN and the problem remains. I
attempted to see if the 'recover library' function would help, and EN then
unexpectedly quit part way through the process.

I'm in the final stage of writing a 300 page thesis with a graduation
deadline in 3 days. The document is made up of < 100 page
chapters/separate documents. Perhaps the size of the library (4700 ref?) or
word documents has reached a critical mass? Or maybe my computer knows we're
at the end of project... Any suggestions?????

Veronique Mead, MD, grad student

Met vriendelijke groet,

Eef Weenink
Raad van Bestuur

Re: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1349
Author: Per Brodersen    Posted: Wed, 14 May 2003 17:21:04 +0200
Dear colleagues,

I am starting out on Endnote 6.02 on Mac OS X 10.2.6. In Word, there appears
the "Find Box" to search for entries, but only "Author", "Year" and "Title"
are listed as searchable categories. I, however, want all the categories
(or, at least, some of them) which are listed in my Endnote library.

What can be done to achieve this?

Thanks -
Per
__
"Just when I thought that bicycles no longer existed I saw a woman on one."
- Michel Contat

Per Brodersen (Ph.D. Candidate, Heinrich Heine University Duesseldorf)
Winsstraße 16
10405 Berlin, Germany
/> http://www.perbrodersen.de

Re: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1350
Author: Listmaster    Posted: Thu, 15 May 2003 20:24:15 +1000
Hi
In a case that I need to use ref. style for a specific Jurnal such as
"Jounal of inorganic biochem." is their any place that I can get the style
or I need to modify the style by my self.
Regards
Feda'

RE: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1352
Author: G Zhang    Posted: Tue, 20 May 2003 13:32:11 +0800
I am a beginner for endnote. Recently I feel headache with endnote.
When I insert selected citations from Word, it is OK. But after while the
citations in text will disappear automatically and all the contents of
citations will appear in the end of the word article. At same time the
output style will be marked with "show all". I changed the output style and
inserted the citations again. The problem repeated again.
Anyone can help me to solve the problem?

Brad

RE: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1359
Author: Philippa White    Posted: Thu, 29 May 2003 17:03:11 +0800
RE Endnote 6 and Word 97 document.
The IT dept at uni informed me that EN6 is incompatable with Word 98 -
perhaps this is the problem?
Pip White
UWA.

Re: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1359
Author:    Posted: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 10:36:33 +0200
Am Donnerstag, 29.05.03, um 08:00 Uhr (Europe/Berlin) schrieb
endnote-interest-digest:
> Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 22:10:37 +0200
> From: Paul INDELICATO /> > Subject: Problem importing text files in EndNote 6.0.2 Mac OSX

(...)

> And I cannot import any of the new files:
> they appear in grey in the file dialog box under "import..."

Dear Paul,
had the same problem here, from my understanding it looks like it has
something to do with the line endings/file type, so I use BBEdit Lite
for OSX and open the file, and then save it with Mac line breaks (under
"options" whenyou hit "save as").
It is cumbersome, but works for me.

Good luck
cheers

Gert

--
-
J/Prof. Dr. Gert Wörheide

Centre for Biodiversity and Ecology
University of Göttingen

phone: +49-(0)551 39 14 177
mobile: +49-(0)178 537 22 33
fax: +49-(0)551-39 79 18

/>
www.calcarea.nu
www.gzg.uni-goettingen.de
www.biodiversitaet.gwdg.de

RE: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1361
Author: Arvind Kalia    Posted: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 13:42:06 +1000
>Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 10:46:34 -0700
>From: Donna Simmons /> >Subject: Re: Proquest Digital Dissertations filter

>Thanks for your generous sharing of information!
>Do you have a similar filter that will work for the Mac version of EN?
- -D

Yes, Donna. This page also has a link to a binhexed file which is the Mac
version of this filter.

Arvind

>Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 09:36:23 +1000
>From: "Arvind Kalia" /> >Subject: RE: Filter for UMI Proquest Digital Dissertations
>
>Dear Lars,
>
>We have a working filter available for Proquest Digital Dissertations. You
>can download it from our page
>http://anulib.anu.edu.au/training/endnote/how_filters.html
>
>Hope it helps,
>
>Arvind

------------------------------

End of endnote-interest-digest V1 #1361
***************************************

Re: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1367
Author: Kenneth Cousins    Posted: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 09:21:55 -0400
Hello, all. Has anyone had any experience writing a filter for
Lexis-Nexus? My immediate need is for the legal libraries, but I would
also be very interested in a filter for the news feeds as well.

Regards,

Ken Cousins
Harrison Program on the Future Global Agenda
Department of Government and Politics
University of Maryland, College Park
T: (301) 405-4133
C: (301) 758-4490
F: (301) 314-7619

"The important thing is not to stop questioning.
Curiosity has its own reason for existing."
Albert Einstein

RE: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1373
Author: Alex Weir    Posted: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 11:00:38 +0100
I feel that there's a bit of confusion between CWYW and instant formatting:
CWYW is, I think, one of the most valuable features of EndNote, and the
reason why I use it rather than any other database. The ability to be sure
that all citations in your text are also in your bibliography, and to change
the style of all of them with a couple of clicks after writing your paper,
is incredibly powerful. On the other hand, I find Instant Formatting a bit
of a pain, and liable to crash large docs and slow your computer up. I
therefore have this permanently switched off, and just do format bib if I
want to see how things will look (and then usually unformat until it's the
final version).

Alex

Re: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1372
Author: Larry    Posted: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 10:57:01 +0200
Hi Matt,

I use CWYW (endnote 5/MacOS9.2) because on my computer it rarely crashes
and it allows me to:
1) see the effect of edits to citations in real time--I don't have to fix
all spaces and punctuation of edits when I do the final bibliography

2) see how I am doing for character count including the bibliography in
real time. More and more biomedical journals limit total characters,
including the bibliography. I find it easier to modify my citation choices
as I go and not in panic at the end when I discover that the bibliography
contributes 2500 characters too many.

however, these gains may not justify crashes for many users.

larry

>Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 10:24:15 +0100 (BST)
>From: Matt Hopcroft /> >Subject: cite while you write problems discussion?
>
>Hello,
>
> I've noticed a string of "problems with cite while you write"
>posts lately. CWYW is exactly the kind of feature that is prone to crashes
>and user frustration- it involves communication between two open
>applications made by different vendors (one of them Microsoft!); and it
>doesn't seem to add much to the functionality of Endnote for adding
>citations to documents.
>
> I have never found a reason to use CWYW- I copy and paste
>citations from the Endnote library into a document, and when the document
>is finished, I "format bibliography", and voila, the document is complete
>with formatted bibliography and in-text citations.
>
> So I'm curious to hear from other users- why do you use CWYW? What
>does it do for you the the cut&paste method doesn't? Am I missing
>something?
>
>Regards,
>
>Matt Hopcroft
>Stanford University
/> >
Lawrence Wrabetz
San Raffaele Scientific Institute, DIBIT
Via Olgettina 58
20132 Milano
/>

RE: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1377
Author: Alex Weir    Posted: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 10:53:30 +0100
And for PC users, use control-Return to insert the carriage returns.

> Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 19:43:25 +0100
> From: Sue Malvern /> > Subject: Re: keywords: new user
>
> This seems to work:
>
> To add a NEW keyword to a set of references that already have
> keywords
> in an Endnote library:
>
> 1. Find references that you want to add a keyword to; (you
> don't need to
> select them as long as they're all in one library window)
>
> 2. Go to Reference menu/Change and Move Fields
> In 'drop down menu' select Keywords
> Click button 'Insert after field's text':
> Insert a carriage return with Alt + return ( for Mac users
> and Endnote
> 6.0.2)
> Type in the new keyword.
>
> 3. Proceed with the change.
>
> The new keyword will be in the term lists. It will also
> appear neatly at
> the end of the existing keywords in these references.

Security System.

Re: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1379
Author: Bien Baez    Posted: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 09:59:49 -0400
When I could not get Endnote to appear in Tools menu, I first followed
instruction in manual. When that did not work, I called Endnote and was
walked through a complicated (for me) process to delete an old sample
download of "op cite" that I had tried and forgotten. Sorry, I can not
recall all the steps, but perhaps this will point you in the right
direction.

Security System.

RE: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1385
Author: J TenHaaf    Posted: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 12:46:41 +0200
this does not hold for corporate names with commas in it, like "Ministerie
van Onderwijs, Cultuur en Wetenschappen"*).
In endnote one should enter: "Ministerie van Onderwijs,, Cultuur en
Wetenschappen"

Jeroen ten Haaf

*) in the Netherlands, for those interested in this tiny little country with
a big mouth: there is only one (i.e. 1) Ministry for Education, Culture, as
well as the Sciences, indicating the devotion of our government to these
matters.

Security System.

Re: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1390
Author: Dmook    Posted: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 07:26:33 -0400
Dear colleagues -- A minor problem but VERY annoying. (Version 6 with
WP 10, Win XP.)

After I've formatted a biblio and while I'm editing as "normal text"
(assuming I got that far without deleting everything), there will
magically appear a change of font or font size or both, for all, or a
large part, of the whole document. It seems to do it with whatever part
of the document it feels like -- I can't see any consistency to it.
Have to go back and select, format/font, restore the font I want -- a
pain. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks -- Doug

Security System.

Re: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1397
Author: Bryan Kalms    Posted: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 21:56:43 +1000
This is a Word issue not part of EndNote. In Word there's a feature
under Autoformat allowing you to turn on or off the generation of
hyperlinks. Turn it off.

> Hi All,
>
> When the bibliography is created in word you automatically get the blue
> underlined hyper links for web addresses etc. I have turned off the
> auto-correct in word so it isn't word creating them it must be in
> Endnote. How can I stop the hyper-link creation in the bibliography?
>
> I realise I can manually go through them all and remove them by hand on
> the final un-linked doc, but there must be a better way!

regards
_________________________*******_____________________

Bryan Kalms | Information strategies
Omnisuccess Pty Ltd | Information analysis
Canberra Australia | Information design
ph + 61 0416 162 575

Security System.

Re: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1416
Author: Germanaz    Posted: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 19:12:07 +0400
Le 3/09/03 10:00,  in endnote-interest-digest,  Doug a écrit :

> I just downloaded the demo of EN7 for OSX, and while it seems a big
> improvement over EN6 (which always seemed a rushed port to OSX), I haven't
> had any luck getting it to sync with my Palm.

Hi Doug

I have the same problem !
No "configure Handheld Sync" in my Tools menu and I can't make a sync with
my palm.
At this moment, The Endnote tech support seems unable to provide any
solution !!

Mac OS X and EndN 7 users, do you see this commande in your Tools menu?

Chris

GERMANAZ. Christian
Université de la Réunion
Faculté des Lettres et des Sciences Humaines
Département de Géographie

Security System.

Re: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1422
Author: Schock Michael    Posted: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 17:06:25 -0400
------------------------------
Rebecca;

I think there is an "ambiguous citation" option that will do what you
need. It's buried a bit. When you have your desired output format
selected, you can go into the menu under "Edit, Output Styles" and then
choose "Edit...." for your chosen style. Under that series of menus,
choose "Citations, Ambiguous Citations" from the list. There will be
check boxes, and there is one to put sequential letters after the year
for identical authors.

--Mike

Michael R. Schock
Chemist
Treatment Technology Evaluation Branch
Water Supply & Water Resources Division, MS B-24
National Risk Management Research Laboratory, USEPA
26 W. Martin Luther King Dr.
Cincinnati, OH 45220-2242
513.569.7412 (P) 513.569.7172 (fax)
/>
=================================
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 16:02:38 -0400
From: "Zeckoski, Rebecca" /> Subject: multiple author-date entries

Hello,
I am using EndNote 6 on a Windows XP machine with Word 2000. I am
trying to
create a bibliography & citations for my document. I am having some
difficulty because I have entries for identical authors who created
multiple
publications in one year.

That is, I have three publications by USEPA that were published in 2003.
Normally, I would cite these as (USEPA, 2003a), (USEPA, 2003b), and
(USEPA,
2003c) in the text and then in the bibliography would have:

USEPA. 2003a. 2002 Section 303(d) List Fact Sheet for Delaware. ...
USEPA. 2003b. 2002 Section 303(d) List Fact Sheet for Pennsylvania. ...
USEPA. 2003c. Total Maximum Daily Loads: National Section 303(d) List
Fact
Sheet. ...

However, I cannot find a way to do this in EndNote. Instead, it simply
has
USEPA. 2003. 2002 Section 303(d) List Fact Sheet for Delaware. ...
USEPA. 2003. 2002 Section 303(d) List Fact Sheet for Pennsylvania. ...
USEPA. 2003. Total Maximum Daily Loads: National Section 303(d) List
Fact
Sheet. ...

The citations in the text for all three references appear as (USEPA,
2003).
Thus, there is no way for the reader to determine which source is being
cited in each instance. I cannot use numbered references, which I know
would solve the problem. Does anyone know how to represent these
sources so
that they will have unique citations in EndNote, other than by simply
typing
2003a, 2003b, and 2003c into the year field? I would like to have
Word/EndNote automatically determine if there are 2 or 3 references like
this, so if I decide to add or delete a citation the lettering will be
updated appropriately for the individual document.

Thank you!
- -Rebecca Zeckoski

Security System.

Re: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1425
Author: Peter Parashos    Posted: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 00:03:31 +1000
I have found a similar problem to Torgrim. You have to edit the particular
style manually unfortunately. I recently had a paper reviewed where some of
the references, for some reason, were not in the correct style but I had
assumed ...
Peter

Re: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1425
Author: Fred McClure    Posted: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 08:09:31 -0400
I have the same CWYW problem. Had difficult turning it off. But, I
checked the boxes to disable, then did it again and it finally took it.
It truely is a bug.
Mac

W. Fred McClure, Professor Emeritus
North Carolina State University
Raleigh, North Carolina 27695-7625
TEL: (919) 515-6764
FAX: (919) 515-7760

Email: />

Re: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1163
Author: Horst Simon    Posted: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 18:32:02 +0200
I recently upgraded from Acrobat 5 to Acrobat 6 - MacOS X. I have
been using the possibility to link my PDF files to the Endnote
(Endnote 5) entry very intensively. By upgrading to Acrobat 6,
Endnote does not open the files anymore, if they were save by Acrobat
6. So as an example, I get a scanned file in, capture it with Acrobat
6 and save it. From this moment onwards the file cannot be opened
with the LINK function. This occurs regardless if the PDF file is
saved as Acrobat 4, Acrobat 5 or Acrobat 6 format. The problem can be
removed by storing the Acrobat 6 file as Acrobat 5 format, then open
it with Acrobat 5 and saving it again. Furthermore, this is not a
particular problem of the settings of my computer, since it happens
on my labtop and another computer (both MacOS X). A similar thing
happens under MacOS 9, however modified. Here, the file is open by
the Browser instead of Acrobat, but then redirected such that it
opens anyway.

I would very much appreciate a solution to this problem

Thank you very much
--

Security System.

Re: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1163 (Acrobat)
Author: Marshall Feldman    Posted: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 09:36:04 -0400
Similar problems have cropped up with other software that uses PDF files.
For example, the National Science Foundation's FASTLANE system for
submitting proposals works with Acrobat 5 but not Acrobat 6. My guess is
there's a software house somewhere that specializes in an API for reading
Acrobat files and that once it comes out with a version that deals with
Acrobat 6 files, the software vendors who rely on the API will shortly be
forthcoming with fixes to read them.

Marsh Feldman
The University of Rhode Island

Author: Wiedemann, Leanne    Posted: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 10:16:04 -0500
I sent an e-mail to tech-support, since I was concerned by the reports that
upgrading to Acrobat 6 might make it impossible to open acrobat 5 files thru
the endnote interface. Tech support offered to take a look at any files that
were creating the problem (see reply below), but it seems that the problem
may be Mac specific, so I decided to upgrade one of our Windows machines and
test it. NO PROBLEMS (yeah!) on the Windows 2000 machine upgraded to
Acrobat 6 opening acrobat associated "images/objects" in Endnote 7. I
thought I would share the outcome with the interest group. The
"image/object" associated files might also be subtly different than using
the Link function, but since I haven't any of those, I couldn't test that
directly.

I suggest that those of you having problems should take tech support up on
the offer to send them some files so they can pass this on to the developers
for a solution.

Leanne

From: Wiedemann, Leanne
Dear Tech support

My IT guys just wanted to upgrade me from Acrobat 5 to Acrobat 6, but I
stopped them in light of this discussion on the interest group. Can you
tell me if this is a one off problem, or if I should avoid upgrading until
there is an interface that works with my existing library?

Similar problems have cropped up with other software that uses PDF files.
For example, the National Science Foundation's FASTLANE system for
submitting proposals works with Acrobat 5 but not Acrobat 6. My guess is
there's a software house somewhere that specializes in an API for reading
Acrobat files and that once it comes out with a version that deals with
Acrobat 6 files, the software vendors who rely on the API will shortly be
forthcoming with fixes to read them.

Marsh Feldman
The University of Rhode Island
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 18:32:02 +0200
> From: Horst Simon
> Subject: Re: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1163
>
> I recently upgraded from Acrobat 5 to Acrobat 6 - MacOS X. I have
> been using the possibility to link my PDF files to the Endnote
> (Endnote 5) entry very intensively. By upgrading to Acrobat 6,
> Endnote does not open the files anymore, if they were save by Acrobat
> 6. So as an example, I get a scanned file in, capture it with Acrobat
> 6 and save it. From this moment onwards the file cannot be opened
> with the LINK function. This occurs regardless if the PDF file is
> saved as Acrobat 4, Acrobat 5 or Acrobat 6 format. The problem can be
> removed by storing the Acrobat 6 file as Acrobat 5 format, then open
> it with Acrobat 5 and saving it again. Furthermore, this is not a
> particular problem of the settings of my computer, since it happens
> on my labtop and another computer (both MacOS X). A similar thing
> happens under MacOS 9, however modified. Here, the file is open by
> the Browser instead of Acrobat, but then redirected such that it
> opens anyway.
>
> I would very much appreciate a solution to this problem
>
> Thank you very much

Security System.

Re: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1431
Author: Paddy O'Toole    Posted: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 13:40:02 +0930
I too have just finished a long thesis (117,000 ). I found that my ibook
didnt have the capacity to copy all the chapters, so I copied all the
chapters, and then plugged the copies into a master document right and
generated the bibliography. I then unlinked the field so that the
bibliography became text, and created a new document to join the
chapters. I made copies of everything on the basis that master
document function really messes things up.

Hope this helps

Paddy

RE: endnote-interest-digest
Author: Dr F K Li    Posted: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 17:17:43 +0800
Hi,
I think it is a very useful function. I have been asking ISI whether
they would include either a "checkbox" (c.f. Ref Man) or "highlighting"
function in Endnote for many many years, to no avail. Instead, there are
loads of useless knickknacks in each upgrade, which served nothing more
than boosting sales to the newbies. Checkbox, checkbox, checkbox,
checkbox.............. please!!!

Felix Li
Hong Kong

Hello,
Is it possible to highlight selected references in an endnote library.
wish to highlight (via colour, font style, etc...) those references for
which I have photocopies.

Thanks for your help,
Justin

Security System.

RE: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1434 Highlighting references
Author: Maggie Johnston RRes-Roth    Posted: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 11:44:09 +0100
The easiest way to do this is to modify one of the reference fields
(Edit..Preferences..Reference Types..Modify)
You can change a field you don't use eg. Call Number. Change it to Reprint
or Photocopy.
If you've numbered your photocopies you can enter the number for each
article in the reference window.
You can view them in your library window by changing the fields displayed
(Edit..Preferences..Display fields)
In the Heading column type Photocopy adjacent to the field 'Call Number'.

Maggie Johnston
Library
Rothamsted Research
Harpenden
Herts AL5 2JQ UK

Tel: +44 (0)1582 763133 x2318
Fax: +44 (0)1582 760981
E-mail: /> WWW: http://www.rothamsted.bbsrc.ac.uk/

Rothamsted Research is a company limited by guarantee,
registered in England under the registration number 2393175
and a not for profit charity number 802038.

Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 10:08:46 +0800
From: "Justin McGinnity" /> Subject: Highlighting Endnote references

Hello,
Is it possible to highlight selected references in an endnote library. I
wish to highlight (via colour, font style, etc...) those references for
which I have photocopies.

Thanks for your help,
Justin

Security System.

RE: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1442
Author: Dr F K Li    Posted: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 16:21:47 +0800
Hi,
I purchased Endnote 7 and bought a new computer running Windows XP
because I want to continue to use Endnote (despite the many glitches
that I have mentioned in this form!). On the other hand, I found that
the compatibility between Endnote 7 and XP is definitely worse than that
between Endnote 7 and Win98SE. Using Endnote 7 on my old Win98SE
computer is like talking to my old friend, we know each other well and
it works. In my new XP computer, Endnote 7 is like an unwelcome
newcomer. It clashes with WORD and freezees the screen for half a minute
before it starts. WORD Files cannot be launched directly by
double-clicking. All those shortcut buttons fail.............. Believe
me, it's all due to "Endnote + XP". So, if you don't need to play around
with your PALM, Win98SE is definitely superior. By the way, we pay a
fortune for Endnote 7, shouldn't it work a bit better than that?

Felix Li
Hong Kong

Security System.

Re: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1446
Author: Michael MacAskill    Posted: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 09:40:26 +1300
Trisha,

The problem is the type code of the file is not being set correctly by the
browser when the file is downloaded. This is an increasing problem with OS
X which is moving away from type & creator codes for files. EndNote has a
bug where it refuses to import a file unless it has a type code of TEXT.
How this bug has persisted from v6 to v7 I don't know...

In OS X, sometimes simply renaming the file to end with .txt in the Finder
can solve the problem: you should see the file change from having a blank
icon to having a text file icon. You will now be able to select the file in
EndNote.

Alternatively, download the freeware application FileType from
http://www.frederikseiffert.de/filetype/
This can change typeless files to files of type TEXT at the push of a
button, singly or in batches.

Cheers,

Michael

--
Michael R. MacAskill, PhD /> Philip Wrightson Research Fellow
Department of Medicine, Ph: +64 3 3640 640 ext 88138

Eye Lab website: http://www.chmeds.ac.nz/research/eye_move/

Security System.

Re: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1448
Author: Victoria Crane    Posted: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 16:40:03 +0100

I have found a solution, and I am using Endnote 5, but I'd be interested to
hear how other people get around this:

Go to File and Output Styles
Make sure the style you're using is selected
Then go to Edit Output Styles
Under 'Citations', go to 'Templates'

The box on the right should show you how your in-text citations are being
displayed. I suspect yours is showing (Author, year)

What I have done is take off the parentheses and the year, and just inserted
Author (from the insert field button). So, if I wanted to write:

"Smith (year:page), however, disagrees with Jones (year:page)"

and then link with each piece of research, Endnote just gives me their
names. I can insert the years and pages manually. If there are multiple
authors, Endnote will follow the format you have suggested under the
Citations 'Author Lists.' This, I've found is much more flexible than
(Author, year)

I would be really keen to know if I am making things complicated and there
are other, easier ways to deal with this problem!!

Best wishes

Victoria Crane

Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 18:09:15 +1300
From: Sean Manning /> Subject: CWYW Problem

Hi, I'm just getting used to Version 7 after happily using Version 2 for
years. I'm wondering if anyone can help with a difficulty. While cite
while you write is on, references appear thus: (Stewart 1997). Now I
want to modify that to (Stewart 1997: 45) or (after Stewart 1997) or
some such. This is fine, except when I put in the next references, all
previous ones revert to their former shape - (Stewart 1997) - and the
extra information is lost. Can anyone tell me how to overcome this
without having a separate reference for each page I want to cite?
Regards, Sean.

----------------------
Victoria Crane
Research Student
University of Nottingham
School of Continuing Education

Security System.

Re: Science Direct was Re: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1450
Author: Virginia Benjamin    Posted: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 10:19:59 -0400

Hello Dennis Lai,

I have versions of the big 3 software packages on my PC desktop (Endnote,
ProCite and Reference
Manager) and when I click Export after choosing Citation and Abstract on the
Export page in Science Direct, I get a popup asking me to point to one of
the 3, so I just click Endnote.

Don't you get a popup with Endnote and Procite for you to choose? assuming
that you have both...

Once I click on Endnote, then I'm asked to select the Endnote library in
which to deposit the exported citations.

Be aware that the Keywords will be omitted in your Export...if you want them
you'll have to copy/paste from SciDirect into Endnote (how clunky since
they're sitting right there in the database!). I wrote Elsevier years ago
and asked that they include keywords in Export, but it has never happened..

virginia benjamin
univ. of georgia libraries
athens, ga.

Author: Dennis Lai    Posted: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 16:47:09 -0700

Virgina,

Hmmm, interesting. I did not get a popup asking me which application I
wanted to use, it just choose Procite for me. I'm using IE is there a way
to change the pre chosen choice of procite?

At 10:19 AM 10/23/2003 -0400, you wrote:

>Hello Dennis Lai,
>
>I have versions of the big 3 software packages on my PC desktop
>(Endnote, ProCite and Reference
>Manager) and when I click Export after choosing Citation and Abstract
>on the Export page in Science Direct, I get a popup asking me to point
>to one of the 3, so I just click Endnote.
>
>Don't you get a popup with Endnote and Procite for you to choose?
>assuming that you have both...
>
>Once I click on Endnote, then I'm asked to select the Endnote library
>in which to deposit the exported citations.
>
>Be aware that the Keywords will be omitted in your Export...if you want
>them you'll have to copy/paste from SciDirect into Endnote (how clunky
>since they're sitting right there in the database!). I wrote Elsevier
>years ago and asked that they include keywords in Export, but it has
>never happened..
>
>virginia benjamin
>univ. of georgia libraries
>athens, ga.

Re: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1453
Author: Per Brodersen    Posted: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 09:47:53 +0100

Hi Peter (know you from the Titanium list!),

V. 6 seems to work under 10.3 but guess what - v. 7 crashes under 10.3.
Seems the whole thing with Jaguar starts repeating. I njust bought Bookends.

All the best -
Per

Ich hatte am 28.10.2003 8:00 Uhr eine Nachricht von endnote-interest-digest
unter erhalten, in der es hieß:

> Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 23:12:21 -0400
> From: Peter Krug /> > Subject: Endnote 6.0.2 and Mac OS X 10.3 Compatibility?
>
> Does anyone know if Endnote 6.0.2 is compatible with the new Mac OS X
> 10.3? Last time Apple upgraded from 10.1 to 10.2, Endnote died a
> fiery death and required an update. This time, I hope ISI isn't going
> to force everyone to upgrade to Endnote 7 (Assuming Endnote 7 works
> under 10.3).
>
> Thanks for any info - I'm new to the list and I'm sorry if this has
> been covered already.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Peter
> - --
> A little computer haiku:
> I can't remember
> the last time I restarted
> I love OS X
>
> This message sent with Eudora 6 on Mac OS X 10.2.8

__
"Just when I thought that bicycles no longer existed I saw a woman on one."
- Michel Contat

Per Brodersen (Ph.D. Candidate, Heinrich Heine University Duesseldorf)
Winsstraße 16 10405 Berlin, Germany per.brodersen>>[at]<<berlin.de
http://www.perbrodersen.de

Re: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1453
Author: William H Shepherd    Posted: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 16:26:03 -0500

How and when does it crash? I've just upgraded to 10.3 and Endnote starts up
just fine.

Author: William H Shepherd    Posted: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 21:32:25 -0500

I take it back--Endnote 7 is inconsistent on my PowerBook G4 under OSX 10.3.
The last time I tried to open it, it froze on the opening splash screen. I
had to reboot to get it to work.

Sort of reminded me of using Windows!

On 10/28/03 3:47 AM, "Per Brodersen" wrote:

> Hi Peter (know you from the Titanium list!),
>
> V. 6 seems to work under 10.3 but guess what - v. 7 crashes under
> 10.3.

Re: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1465; Endnote and Office 2003
Author: Dagan Wright    Posted: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 08:58:22 -0700
RE: EndNote and Office 2003
=20
I have EndNote 7 and Office 2003 on my computer and it works great.
Just make sure their are 2 or 3 endnote plug-in files ( EN7CWYW and
EN7Cwyw.WordXP) located within the Endnote7.0 program file are copied
and inserted in your Office profile found under your hard drive,
docuements and settings\your username\application data\Microsoft\Word =
if
you are using Word XP. I have been using it extensively and it works
like a charm. It can be a little slow when inserting citations into =
the
Word document but I am only running with a PIII 866 processor.
=20
Dagan

RE: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1468
Author: Marshall Feldman    Posted: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 11:26:09 -0500
Margaret Byron asked if one could set up EndNote to put records from
individual libraries in one central one.

I know of no way to set this up in EndNote but can think of two ways to set
it up so that it's functionally the same, at some cost.

1. Use one shared library on a network server. The problem with this is
record locking. EndNote is not designed for sharing over a network, and as
such it does not allow individual records to be locked when they are being
modified. Instead, you will probably need to have file locking, so that only
one person at a time can modify the library. Others should be able to open
the file in read-only mode. I believe this is a standard feature of Windows.
Alternatively, you could use this in conjunction with a version of the
second option.

2. Import new records into the central library, either manually or
automatically. First manually, as it's simple. Let each of your researchers
have their own EndNote library stored either on their own machine or on a
network server. The important point is that they are distinct from each
other and someone with appropriate administrative privileges has access to
them. Maintain a single combined library. On, say, a daily basis, open the
master library and import records from all the individual libraries,
discarding duplicates. This will update the new library with the records
added that day. Then copy the new master library over each individual user's
library so that they have the updated copy. In place of this last step, you
may want to have individual users import/discard duplicates into their
private libraries. The advantage of doing this is that record numbers do not
get screwed up, so documents geared to the original library are still
correct; the disadvantage, everyone does not have exactly the same library.
To automate this process, purchase one of the many keyboard macro programs
on the market and schedule the appropriate keystrokes. The problem with this
technique is that records are not updated in real time. In most research
environments, daily or even weekly updates might be OK.

Marsh Feldman
The University of Rhode Island

> Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 12:43:35 -0500 (EST)
> From: Margaret Byron /> > Subject: EndNote 6.0 query
>
> Is it possible to set up EndNote so that all entries going into individual
> researcher libraries also automatically go into our master Central Library
> (similar to a backup file)?
> We have a constant problem trying to maintain an up-to-date
> central library
> with many users doing their own thing.
>

> Margaret Byron
> Centre for Behavioural Research in Cancer
> Cancer Control Research Institute
> The Cancer Council Victoria
> 1 Rathdowne Street
> Carlton Vic 3053
> Australia
> Ph: (03) 9635 5182
> Fax: (03) 9635 5380
> Email: /> >

> Security System.
>
> ------------------------------

Security System.

Re: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1468
Author: Gayle Grant    Posted: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 14:59:51 -0700
Is it possible to create a library on 'Joes' PC, then create a library on
'Mary's PC. Both use their Endnotes libraries and update occasionally. Can
Joe's library be totally erased/deleted from his computer, and the Mary
gives him her library because it is more extensive??
Thanks,
Gayle
Gayle Grant

> [...]
> > From: Margaret Byron /> > > Subject: EndNote 6.0 query
> >
> > Is it possible to set up EndNote so that all entries going into
individual
> > researcher libraries also automatically go into our master Central
Library
> > (similar to a backup file)?
> > We have a constant problem trying to maintain an up-to-date
> > central library
> > with many users doing their own thing.
> >

> > Margaret Byron
> > Centre for Behavioural Research in Cancer
> > Cancer Control Research Institute
> > The Cancer Council Victoria
> > 1 Rathdowne Street
> > Carlton Vic 3053
> > Australia
> > Ph: (03) 9635 5182
> > Fax: (03) 9635 5380
> > Email: /> > >

> > This email has been scanned for all viruses by the MessageLabs Email

Security System.

RE: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1481
Author: Marshall Feldman    Posted: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 10:49:23 -0500
Hey, dummy! This looks like Refer format.

The problem with this kind of thing is that one ought to verify it before
counting on it. In other words, can you contact the Institute and verify
that they use Refer format.

BTW. Refer is a very commonly used Unix format.

Author: David Hughes    Posted: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 11:47:48 -0600
Thanks, Marsh. I actually began doing something utterly drastic after
posting my note: I got out the manual. Desperate times call for desperate
measures! And, yep. It is a variation (naturally) on the Refer format.

Duh <grin>

Dave

Hey, dummy! This looks like Refer format.

The problem with this kind of thing is that one ought to verify it before
counting on it. In other words, can you contact the Institute and verify
that they use Refer format.

BTW. Refer is a very commonly used Unix format.

Marsh Feldman
The University of Rhode Island

> Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 20:17:56 -0600
> From: David Hughes /> > Subject: Specialty Import Filters: Anthropology Index
>
> I've checked the EndNote web site and didn't find one, but perhaps
> someone out there can guide a neophyte through writing an import
> filter for references downloaded (emailed) from the Royal
> Anthropological Institute's Anthropology Index Online. I would truly
> appreciate whatever suggestions anyone can offer: even a "hey, dummy,
that's the same as the XYZ format."

> Thanks. Dave Hughes
>
> The basic reference form looks like this:
>
> %R 02v0203y-257
> %A Daniel Pugh
> %T The Aker site (23PL43): lithic economy and ritual aggregation among
> the Kansas City Hopewell %D 2001 %J Plains anthropologist
> %J1 Plains Anthrop
> %V 46
> %N 177
> %P 269-82
> %K Hopewell culture
> %K Lithic technology
> %K Ritual
> %K Exchange networks
> %K Woodland culture
> %K1 AMERICAS
> %K2 NORTH AMERICA
> %K3 ARCHAEOLOGY
> %F 0032-0447
>
> - ---

> __ This email has been scanned for all viruses by the MessageLabs
> Email Security System.

---

Security System.

Re: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1484
Author: John Smith    Posted: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 12:45:24 -0800
Bob,

If I understood your problem correctly go to Edit > output styles and
choose the style you wish to edit.

click on Author Lists under citations and choose your preferences under
Abbreviations (ie. use if _3_ or more authors, list _1_ names and
abbreviate with: et al.)

Then click on Author lists under Bibliography and choose your
preferences under abbreviations ( if _3_ or more authors list _3_
authors, and abbreviate with: , et al.)

This should hopefully meet your needs.

Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 07:14:18 +1000
From: Bob Green
Subject: edit styles question

When there are 3 or more authors I want to display the name of the first

author followed by et al. in the text but include the first three
authors
followed by et al in the bibliography.

I can achieve either one author only in both the text and bibliography
or
three authors in both, but not the above combination).

There is something I'm not quite getting right in selecting the
respective
number of authors in the author, editor and citations lists.

Any assistance is appreciated,

regards

Bob Green

_____

Do you Yahoo!?
<http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree>

RE: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1442
Author: Cohn Family    Posted: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 20:25:27 -0500
When I connect to a university library, many times I get the message that
the system is connecting, but it hangs, and eventually I have to re-boot.

How can I avoid this hang up when I fail to connect?

Joel G. Cohn
Home Office 845-639-6250
Mobile Phone 845-216-2939
Mobile Email />

RE: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1485
Author: Marshall Feldman    Posted: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 13:16:10 -0500
Jeremy,

Something strange is going on with ScienceDirect. I can get it to open
EndNote, but when I import the reference it has no author names, the journal
title field is blank, and the title is in the Alternate Title field instead.

I've reported this to Science Direct and EndNote, but so far there's been no
fix.

Marsh Feldman
The University of Rhode Island

> Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 15:59:39 +1100
> From: Jeremy Cullis /> > Subject: Endnote 7 & Sciencedirect
>
> Dear all,
>
> I have a client who is trying to direct export from Sciencedirect Embase
> to Endnote 7.
>
> the options she has chosen include:
> 1. citations + abstracts
> 2. RIS format (for Reference Manager, Endnote, & Procite)
>
> When she clicks on Export a file dialogue opens asking her to save the
> file. Endnote doesn't open and she isn't asked to choose an Endnote
> Library.
>
> She has successfully direct exported from Ovid Medline.
>
> She is running Netscape 7.1
>
> Does anybody have any ideas? I would appreciate any help before I go and
> have a look at her PC myself,
>
> regards
>
> Jeremy
>

> Jeremy Cullis Ph. (02) 9351-5317
> Information Services Librarian Fax: (02) 9351-2427
> Medical Library DO5
> University Of Sydney
> SYDNEY NSW 2006
> Australia
> email: /> > web: http://www.library.usyd.edu.au/Libraries/Medical/
> <http://www.library.usyd.edu.au/Libraries/Medical/>

Security System.

Re: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1486
Author: Patrick Tooth    Posted: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 11:18:53 +1100
Subject: APA in-text citation

> Hello all,
>
> I was trying to set up my in-text citation templates so that I could
> enter a page or several pages behind the author and the year so I came
> up with this:
>
> (Author, Year, p.^pp. Cited Pages) --with "link adjacent text" between
> pp. and Cited--so it would look like this (Jones, 1999, pp. 24-25) which
> is what I wanted.
>
> This worked really well for one referene, however if I was quoting two
> referencences at once without a specific page number it turned out like
> this:
>
> (Jones, 1999, ; Smith, 2000) when it should look like this (Jones, 1999;
> Smith, 2000)
>
> It put in the comma after the year. I cannot figure out how to stop it
> from putting the comma there for two references yet keep it there when
> page numbers are present.
>
> Does anyone know how to set this up?
>
> Thanks!
>
> _____

Patrick Tooth
Information Technology Librarian

Author: ALBERT    Posted: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 09:00:35 -0500
Exporting from ScienceDirect seems to be working for me, except
that the superscripted number linking to a footnote got exported
with the title. Otherwise, the record I tried looks fine.

Karen Albert
Fox Chase Cancer Center
Phila., PA 19111
/>
Security System.

RE: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1494
Author: Samuel A Floyd    Posted: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 05:48:37 -0500
M--

IN RE: the following email exchanges, should I remove all those styles and
other things that I won't ever use? What can I delete from EndNote without
causing myself problems? I'd really like to do this, since it'd save a lot
of memory and disk space, and since especially I want to use it on my
Kyocera device.

By the way, I learned yesterday that John Olino has been fired. True? Ask
you friend what happened there.

Dankeschoen.

--S

Re: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1495
Author: Gregory Indrisano    Posted: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 14:15:43 -0500
As far as the virus scan goes. I have had similar problems in the past and
found that as annoying as it was, bringing up the task manager (by hitting
control - alt- del key sequence ONCE) usually got Word to respond again. But

I have a somewhat different "solution" to the problem. If you are already
scanning your e mail automatically as it arrives, and occasionally run the
virus scan on your drives too, do you really need to scan the documents you
open every day, every time you open them? It seems a little obsessive does
it not? How many times a day do you need to scan normal.dot (which your
virus protector is doing when you start a new file) anyway? If you turn off
the scanning of documents when you open them - I suspect you will be
surprised how much time you have been wasting over the years and this will
also keep your virus protector from arguing with Endnote too.

Greg

Re: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1493
Author: Andrew Watson    Posted: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 09:23:31 -0800
Dear Leslie,

I am curious why you would consider EndNote for campus-wide service
when it still contains no provisions for serving databases on the
web? We are trying to establish an institutional repository of
citations, but it is of little use if it cannot be publicly accessed.

Regards,
Andrew B. Watson
NASA Ames Research Center
Moffett Field, CA 94035-1000
/>

>Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2004 16:48:35 -0500
>From: "Leslie D. Harris" /> >Subject: Institutional Support for EndNote
>
>Hi, Folks.
>
>We've just entered into a campus-wide site license agreement for
>EndNote, and we're working out the various details of supporting the use
>of EndNote on campus. We were wondering how other colleges/universities
>with site licenses manage their end-user support and training.
>
>At your school:
>
>1. Who provides the primary end-user support for EndNote? In other
>words, when people have questions about how to create libraries,
>import/enter references, cite while you write, update connection files
>and filters, etc., to whom do they turn?
>
>2. Who provides the training for use of EndNote? Is your Library the
>primary source for training, or does your general campus computer
>training office teach classes in using EndNote?
>
>3. To what extent does your Computer Support helpdesk provide support
>for the installation of EndNote on university-owned and/or home machines?
>

>We'd appreciate whatever guidance and advice you can provide.
>
>Leslie Harris
>Coordinator, Technology Across the Curriculum
>George Mason University
/> >

--

Security System.

Re: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1502
Author: Georgina Brooks    Posted: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 09:35:44 +1300
>------------------------------
Use the book section reference type and then all this information will be
correct. The edited book reference type is for citing the whole book not a
chapter.

Georgina

>Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 00:34:15 EST
>From: /> >Subject: Articles in an Edited Book
>
>Good Evening Everyone,
>
>I am a new user and have a question about creating a new reference.
>When citing an article from an edited book, I use the edited book
>reference? My question is where do I add the article name and author,
>series editor, series article??? I tried that and the cite does not
>come up in proper APA style.
>
>Thanks

Security System.

Re: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1508
Author: Marcia Braundy    Posted: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 14:16:51 -0800
Hi Anthony,
I have tried to solve this problem without success. Perhaps you could
suggest what might be wrong.
The in-text citation template appears as follows, after I inserted the
Cited Pages category from the insert field list:

(Author, Year, Cited Pages)

The multiple citation separator is a semi-colon.

and yet it still appears as:
(Braid, 1981, , 2003, ; Braundy, 1989, , 2002, ; Cockburn, 1983, , 1991,
; Ferguson & Sharples, 1994, ; Goldberg, 1992, ; Gray, 1987, ; Grzetic,
1998, ; GrzeticShrimpton & Skipton, 1996, ; Hart & Shrimpton, 2003, ;
Rübsamen-WaigmannSohlberg et al., 2003, ; Schom-Moffatt & Braundy,
1989a)

Any ideas???

Marcia Braundy

endnote-interest-digest wrote:

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 19:37:52 -0500

From: "A. P. Lombardo" /> />
Subject: RE: extra commas and spaces in CWYW citation in the document

Hi Marcia,

It sounds like there's a missing/extra character within the template for
the

in-text citations of the style you're using. Did you make any changes
to it

recently? Perhaps you could post the in-text citation template to figure
out

what might be causing it.

I know this has happened to me before, and it was because of changes I
made

to the template.

Anthony

Author: Zenon At Columbia    Posted: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 18:59:29 -0500
I have been lurking on this interest digest but have never contributed so I
don't know is responding is the right way to do it. I have also been an
Endnote user since version 3. Despite being completely addicted to it I
find there are many critical things it can't do -- and these seem to be
design shortcomings rather than bugs. Here are two recent ones:
(1) I cannot provide APA intext citations the way they want them and have to
resort to hand-coding the final version -- which is a serious shortcoming.
When there is a single citation it is supposed to appear as "Smith(2003)"
and not "(Smith, 2003)" -- this is especially critical at the beginning of a
sentence when you want to say "Smith(2003) claims that... I see no way to
correct this shortcoming.
(2) I just came across another problem today where I wanted to control the
order of citations within a group. I wanted to say about somem idea that
was supported by "(Smith, 2001; Jones, 2002; but see Alvarez, 2002, for a
contrary view)" The Alvarez citation always ends up at the beginning of
the list because of alphabitizing. Although the manual says I should be
able to change the order it does not work. The entire citation to
Alverez -- including the prefix and suffix, always ends up at the beginning
of the list.

Author: Peter Brooks    Posted: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 20:16:16 -0000
Read the section in the manual on editing citations. I agree that it is
a pity that you cannot chose when entering a reference whether it
displays inside or outside the brackets i.e. Smith(2003) or(Smith,
2003). I would have thought that as this is such a consistent
requirement the programmers could have come up with a single key fix for
this problem or alternatively two different Insert citation buttons one
for inside brackets one for outside. Its one of the very few features
that EndNote lacks.

Your other problem is a bit more specific but that is definitely an Edit
Citation problem. Right click on the year inside the brackets and use
edit citation to fix the text inside the brackets.

Peter Brooks

[...]

Re: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1536
Author: Norman Sandfield    Posted: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 16:59:12 -0600
As of 10/6/2003 (and probably prior to that date), RWP is no longer=20
available, as per this email from Technical Support, =
Thomson=20
ISI ResearchSoft:

"We are currently not promoting or selling Reference Web Poster because =
of=20
issues installing on modern web servers. I don't know of any products =
out=20
there that are like RWP, but I have heard of customers transferring =
their=20
Endnote libraries to Access and posting the Access database on the =
web."

Sincerely,
Norman Sandfield

Re: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1537
Author: Selden Deemer    Posted: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 07:03:09 -0500
BAS doesn't look too bad. The "Download Contents" button produces a
tab-delimited text file. For example:

BAS ID Title Author Citation Subjects
31549 Turkish-Japanese relations--prospects for development
(Publication, 12. Seminar, 8.) Japan;Economics;International Economics

Replace the column headers on the first line with the names of target
fields in EndNote citations. See Chapter 7 Importing Reference Data
into EndNote, specifically the sub-section on "Creating a Tab-Delimited
Format.

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004, endnote-interest-digest wrote:

> endnote-interest-digest Friday, March 12 2004 Volume 01 : Number
1537

> In this issue:
>
> Bibliography of Asian Studies

> Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 09:23:36 -0500
> From: "Son, Inhye *HS" /> > Subject: Bibliography of Asian Studies
>
> Does anyone know how to download and import referenced from Bibliography
> of Asian Studies into Endnote?

> Security System.
>
> ------------------------------
>
> End of endnote-interest-digest V1 #1537

Security System.

Re: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1539
Author:    Posted: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 16:44:57 -0500
Troy:

There are three unresolved issues of which I am aware:

1) I have had unending problems with EN7/ Panther stalling when doing remote
searches (a problem acknowledged by ISI support). A five minute wait usually
takes care of the problem, but who has the time?

2) There is a continuing problem of being unable to directly enter
characters with diacritical marks in EN7 (although they can be imported).

2) There is also the old problem of EN's CWYW slowing down/crashing Word,
but the fix is still the same‹turn CWYW off and format after you are
finished with the paper.

Otherwise, it works pretty well, although I have been hacked off that ISI
hasn't fixed the stalling problems this long after release.

Robert Johnson

On 3/16/04 2:00 AM, "endnote-interest-digest"
wrote:

> Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 11:04:13 +0100
> From: Troy Sagrillo /> > Subject: EN 7 and Mac OS 10.3 compatibility
>
> Could anyone offer comments on the general compatibly of EN 7 and Panther?
> need to upgrade my OS from OS 10.2.8 for other reasons, but am concerned
> that EN may not work with Panther. There have been no recent patches for
Mac

Author:    Posted: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 16:50:19 -0500
Troy:

wrote:

> Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 11:04:13 +0100
> From: Troy Sagrillo /> > Subject: EN 7 and Mac OS 10.3 compatibility
>
> Could anyone offer comments on the general compatibly of EN 7 and Panther?
> need to upgrade my OS from OS 10.2.8 for other reasons, but am concerned
> that EN may not work with Panther. There have been no recent patches for
Mac
> EN, and ISI frequently is significantly behind the curve when it comes to
> the Mac.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Troy

Security System.

Re: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1540
Author: Miranda Mason    Posted: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 08:59:55 -0000
How do I insert accents into Endnote such as the French grave, acute and
circumflex accents? I can't do this using the same keys as I do in Word.

Many thanks

Miranda Mason
University of Leeds
Author: Rr25    Posted: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 09:54:05 +0000
Assuming you use Windows, the best method is to enable the
English-International keyboard settings using the Control Panel
(Start>Settings>Control Panel>Regional Options). Click on the Input Locales
tab and Add a keyboard layout setting with English (United Kingdom) as the
language and United States (International) as the Keyboard layout. When you
want to type accented characters into EndNote switch to the international
layout using the blue icon labelled "EN" at the right of the taskbar at the
bottom of your screen. Most of the keyboard shortcuts for accents are
similar to Word's and are sort of logical - e.g. apostrophe followed by e
gives eacute, grave followed by e gives egrave (though apostrophe c for
cedilla isn't all that obvious)
Rosemary Rodd
Literary & Linguistic Computing Centre, University of Cambridge

--On Wednesday, March 17, 2004 8:59 am +0000 Miranda Mason
wrote:

> How do I insert accents into Endnote such as the French grave, acute and
> circumflex accents? I can't do this using the same keys as I do in Word.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Miranda Mason
> University of Leeds

Security System.

Re: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1542
Author: Sharon Siegler    Posted: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 10:11:29 -0500
Thanks for the reply; I began to think there were only two of us out
there who cared.... As it is, I discovered that it was "pilot error"; I
was pointing to an incorrect URL for our SFX server. The February SFX
release has EndNote as a target, so I took another look and,
collectively, we figured out what I was doing wrong. Although it's not
perfect, I recommend the openURL linker to all who can enable it.
There's a very good chance that you'll find links to electronic versions
for a lot of your older journal articles now, plus many books in series
are becoming available electronically (such as the ABC/Clio titles or
the various Springer Lecture Notes). You can run through your various
EndNote libraries and quickly add links to some surprising material.

Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 12:00:05 +0100

From: Christian Brommer /> />
Subject: Re: openURL linker in EndNote 7

Hi Sharon,

I just changed the OpenURL path and the sid under "Arguments" to point

our SFX

services. It works fine, if there is no ISSN in the record. Except on my
own

computer. The volume field does not map with the field in SFX. I got
always

"VOLUME" in the volume field under SFX instead of the number of the
volume.

It's a

very strange problem, because i use exactly the same settings on other

computers.

Chris

Sharon Siegler wrote:

EndNote 7 includes an openURL linker, a very useful tool for finding

electronic versions of articles (and other publications). The default

linker points to the WOS and works fine. I'd like to add a version to

use with our library's linker (we're using SFX). I've pointed the

openURL linker to our SFX server and modified the arguments for the

citation. All works fine, EXCEPT that the journal title field from

EndNote does not map to the journal title field in SFX. If I have an

ISSN in the EndNote record, the linker works correctly and I retrieve

the article. If I have only the journal title (often the case), then I

lack sufficient information to identify the article and the openURL

linker can't find it. Has anyone else successfully modified the openURL

linker for their local server? If so, is there a trick I'm missing?

many thanks

--

Sharon Siegler 610-758-3068 (voice)

Engineering Librarian 610-758-6524 (fax)

Lehigh University

634 Fairchild/Martindale 8A

Bethlehem, PA 18015

Security System.

Re: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1543
Author: Miranda Mason    Posted: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 14:00:46 -0000
Many thanks for the tip on changing keyboard layout in order to insert
diacritics. I can now insert the correct diacritics. Phew!

On the second point of changing the incorrect diacritics in my existing
records, I have tried to use the 'Change Text' facility but within this
dialogue box the text does not respond to keystrokes for diacritics for
either the UK or US International keyboards. Any clues? By the way, this is
also true of when I type emails, so I couldn't give you an example!!

Again, many thanks

Miranda Mason
University of Leeds, UK

Re: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1543
Author: Rr25    Posted: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 09:56:42 +0000
Odd. Typing into the Change Text dialogue box works perfectly OK with my
copy of endnote (v. 6 in Windows 2000). Does it work if you try copying and
pasting into the box?
Rosemary Rodd (Literary & Linguistic Computing Centre, University of
Cambridge)

--On Sunday, March 21, 2004 2:00 pm +0000 Miranda Mason
wrote:

> Many thanks for the tip on changing keyboard layout in order to insert
> diacritics. I can now insert the correct diacritics. Phew!
>
> On the second point of changing the incorrect diacritics in my existing
> records, I have tried to use the 'Change Text' facility but within this
> dialogue box the text does not respond to keystrokes for diacritics for
> either the UK or US International keyboards. Any clues? By the way, this
> is also true of when I type emails, so I couldn't give you an example!!
>
> Again, many thanks
>
> Miranda Mason
> University of Leeds, UK

Security System.

Re: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1551
Author: Rhonda Foster    Posted: Sun, 4 Apr 2004 00:37:36 -0500
As I add references to the bibliography it is not automatically
updating, the feature is enabled and the format is set. However, the =
new
references are not listed in the new bibliography. Please advise.=20
=20

Re: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1573
Author: Nelson =?iso-8859-1?Q?Gonzalez-S=FCllow?=    Posted: Tue, 4 May 2004 08:44:10 -0400 (
Hello, I hope somebody can help. I will like to buy a Handheld device
(Compaq 5555) and I will like to know if I can install endnote on this
handheld. In the Endnote manual it only talk about Palm OS. Someone know
something about this,

Nelson Gonzalez-Sullow
_____________________________________
Nelson Gonzalez-Süllow
North Carolina State University
NC State Forest Nutrition Cooperative
3125 Jordan Hall, Box 8008
Raleigh, NC 27695
Phone: (919)515-7786 (office)
(919)601-8265 (cell)

Security System.

RE: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1581
Author: Jones, David G    Posted: Fri, 14 May 2004 09:59:01 +0100
Do you really need the synchronising software? If you take the library from
work home on a memory stick and overwrite the home library, then do the
edits at home and copy the revised library back onto the memory stick. Back
at work you then overwrite your library with the file from the memory stick.
Won't this achieve the same end result, or am I missing something?

David Jones
British Geological Survey
email />

> From: Christopher King /> > Subject: RE: synching endnote files between two computers?
>
> Hi Marsh,
> The way it works is that as you say, you have an Endnote
> library at work and
> copy it to your home
> computer. However, the way you do it is to first use the synchronizing
> software to copy the EN library from your work computer to
> movable media
> like a memory stick. Now you have two identical copies. If
> you change the EN
> library on either the computer or the media and run the
> software it will
> compare the two and replace the oldest with the newest.
> Importantly, it will
> also not delete the older library,computer but move it to an
> archive (you
> may have up to 25 copies in the archive). Now, you take the
> latest version
> of the library home and run the software on your home and it
> will check
> what's on the media against what is on the home computer and
> replace the
> older with the newer library, and again it will move the
> older library to
> the archive on your home computer. The difference between
> this arrangement
> and your scenario is that you are moving the EN libraries
> between the two
> computers, the older libraries are not being clobbered, and the record
> numbers remain the same because you are always working with the latest
> version of the the original library. I've been doing it for
> years and it
> works perfectly as long as you maintain the routine of doing the sync
> before you move to the alternative computer.
> Chris

This e-mail message, and any files transmitted with it, are
confidential and intended solely for the use of the addressee. If
this message was not addressed to you, you have received it in error
and any copying, distribution or other use of any part of it is
strictly prohibited. Any views or opinions presented are solely those
of the sender and do not necessarily represent those of the British
Geological Survey. The security of e-mail communication cannot be
guaranteed and the BGS accepts no liability for claims arising as a
result of the use of this medium to transmit messages from or to the
BGS. . http://www.bgs.ac.uk

Author: Christopher King    Posted: Sat, 15 May 2004 09:11:14 +1000
Hi David,
You are perfectly correct. The end result would be a portable up-to-date
library. We could in fact go one step further and have one library on a
memory stick which we plug in to use wherever we are working. However, I for
one would not like to put my fourteen years' worth of references and notes
at that sort of risk.
Using the software probably sounds like using a sledge hammer to crack a
peanut, but at least in my case, it is being used to synchronise a range of
files that are changed daily, not just EN libraries, so I find it perfectly
justifiable in the context of my work to use the software. The advantages I
mentioned were of having up to 25 versions of the library archived--in
case... Another is that once you have told the software, it will copy to and
from the exact same locations every time, so there is no risk of having
multiple versions of the same library floating around your harddisk.
Chris
Monash University

> [...]

> version of the the original library. I've been doing it for
> years and it
> works perfectly as long as you maintain the routine of doing the sync
> before you move to the alternative computer.
> Chris

This e-mail message, and any files transmitted with it, are
confidential and intended solely for the use of the addressee. If
this message was not addressed to you, you have received it in error
and any copying, distribution or other use of any part of it is
strictly prohibited. Any views or opinions presented are solely those
of the sender and do not necessarily represent those of the British
Geological Survey. The security of e-mail communication cannot be
guaranteed and the BGS accepts no liability for claims arising as a
result of the use of this medium to transmit messages from or to the

Re: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1582
Author: Shelly McKenzie    Posted: Sat, 15 May 2004 10:31:41 -0400
To Mike regarding synching endnote files: How exactly do you "merge" the
files? I use Endnote 5 and was told by their help people that merging a
subset of files into a master set was not possible.

Thanks, Shelly

Shelly McKenzie
Dept. of American Studies
GWU

Re: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1584
Author: Patrick Tooth    Posted: Thu, 20 May 2004 16:15:27 +1000
Hello Everybody
on the general subject of Word X crashing when using EndNote 6.0.2 and
Panther, Thierry Ollevier
posted this some time ago:

I am using OS 10.3.2, MS Office v.X (and have also run the updaters up
to 10.1.5), and Endnote 6.0.2.
When I try to format my bibliography (with instant formatting disabled
or not), Word crashes. Running EndNote 7 instead of EndNote 6.0.2 does
not solve the problem and leads to the same crash!
Thanks for any help and suggestions, and if I can clarify any of the
problem, please let me know. If responding by email, responses may be
sent either to "thierry.ollevier"

I have the same problem, and am wondering what the solution was, if any?
Upgrading to EN7
doesn't seem to help me either.

If the answer involves deleting the final paragraph marker of the Word
document, I'm not sure
how to do this - seems a dumb question but the final marker just will not go
away - or is it
enough just to hit delete in front of it a few times anyway?

Thanks,

Patrick Tooth
Information Technology Librarian
University of Technology, Sydney
PO Box 123
BROADWAY NSW 2007
AUSTRALIA

Tel: +61 2 9514 3318
E-mail: />
endnote-interest-digest wrote:

> endnote-interest-digest Wednesday, May 19 2004 Volume 01 : Number
1584

> In this issue:
>
> Other keyboard shortcuts?
> Filters request
> Formatting a document
> Re: Endnote 7 - Word 2004 conflicts?
> Re: Endnote 7 also crashes my Word X
> Re: Endnote 7 also crashes my Word X

--
UTS CRICOS Provider Code: 00099F
confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, do not
read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or attachments. If
immediately
and delete this message. Any views expressed in this message are those of
the
individual sender, except where the sender expressly, and with authority,
states them to be the views the University of Technology Sydney. Before
opening any attachments, please check them for viruses and defects.

Security System.

Re: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1585
Author: Stephen Miller    Posted: Thu, 20 May 2004 16:48:13 +0200

>Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 16:24:55 +1000
>From: "John East" /> >Subject: Re: Pagination in journals
>
> > The comment to the style Modern Fiction in EndNote 7 states: "EndNote
> > cannot differentiate between continuous pagination and pagination by
> > issue for journals." Can anyone explain how this shows in the program?
>
>If pagination is continuous across all issues in a volume, then it is not
>really necessary to cite the issue number: the volume number, year and page
>are sufficient. But if pagination starts again at page 1 in each issue (as
>normally happens with magazines and other less scholarly periodicals), then
>the issue number (or date of the issue) is essential in the reference.

In the past when you pulled bound volumes off library shelves then issue
numbers were not needed. However, as journals are increasingly
electronically delivered part by part as they appear (and are not
consolidated) issue numbers are now relevant.

JSTOR for exmaple is a fantastic resource but frustrating when you are
trying to figure out just which part the article is in that you are after.

Stephen Miller

Security System.

Re: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1584
Author: Bronwyn Tarrier    Posted: Mon, 24 May 2004 16:52:25 +0100
Patrick

>If the answer involves deleting the final paragraph marker of the
> Word document, I'm not sure
>how to do this - seems a dumb question but the final marker just
> will not go away - or is it
>enough just to hit delete in front of it a few times anyway?

You should read the MVP article "How can I recover a corrupt document or
template and why did it become corrupt?" by Dave Rado and John McGhie.
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDocContent.htm

Bronwyn
*****
Bronwyn Tarrier
Adept Scientific plc Tel: 01462 489139
Amor Way Fax: 01462 480213
LETCHWORTH email: /> Hertfordshire SG6 1ZA www: http://www.adeptscience.co.uk/
UK
*****

Security System.

Re: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1592
Author: Rebecca Morris    Posted: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 18:55:06 -0700
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question, but when I need to cite a chapter
from an edited book, I just use the "Book Section" option instead of
"Journal Article" or "Book." That includes entries for both the chapter's
author and the book's author.

Rebecca Morris
Graduate Research Assistant
Leonard Davis School of Gerontology
University of Southern California

Re: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1592
Author: Federico Castillo    Posted: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 22:23:41 -0700
Hello everyone:

I am now using Endnote 7 and i am experiencing the following problem: When
I attempt to to to the styles manager to format the way i want my
references to show in my footnotes the program freezes. Any one is aware
of why this problem is present and how to solve it? Thanks in advance!

Federico

Security System.

Re: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1595
Author: R E Wener    Posted: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 08:42:32 -0400
Using endnote for subject, author and keyword indexes.

I am wondering if anyone knows of a pereson or organization that has
used endnote to generate subject, author and keyword indexes for a book?

RE: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1603
Author: Zheng Yan    Posted: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 16:58:12 -0400
Hi there,

Could someone out there help me to learn how to change the existing the
psycinfo filter so that I can include references in endnote library?
Pscyinfo now has a feature of including references of each paper, but I do
not know how to add to my current library. Any assistance and advice will be
appreciated.

Zheng

Security System.

Security System.

RE: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1603
Author: Tina Kimmel    Posted: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 15:00:39 -0700
I am also extremely interested in doing this.
Please let me know if you find an answer!

Thanks,

Tina Kimmel

At 4:58 PM -0400 6/29/04, Zheng Yan wrote:
>Hi there,
>
>Could someone out there help me to learn how to change the existing the
>psycinfo filter so that I can include references in endnote library?
>Pscyinfo now has a feature of including references of each paper, but I do
>not know how to add to my current library. Any assistance and advice will
be
>appreciated.
>
>Zheng

Tina Kimmel, MSW, MPH
PhD Program, UC Berkeley School of Social Welfare

Security System.

Security System.

Re: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1606
Author: Whitmore    Posted: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 09:47:05 -0400
Re Endnote 8 back compatibility:

I have contacted ISI technical support about this BIG problem and their
reply is quoted below.

"Hello Thomas, thanks for contacting tech support.

There is no way to save your library in the old format from EndNote 8, as
the database format of EndNote 8 can contain characters that are invalid in
EndNote 7 and earlier. Additionally, since the field limits were removed in
EndNote 8, you would also have the potential problem of too much information
in a field/reference. What you can do is export the references in the RIS
output style [i.e., "RefMan (ISI) export" output style] format to a text
file, which you can then import into EndNote 7 and earlier."

I tried "roundtripping" a small library this way -- but the results were not
promising. My response to ISI is quoted below.

"Thanks for your suggestion. I hope that works for earlier versions of EN--
it does not work to export in RIS style/txt format from EN 8 and then
re-import the same file into EN 8 (even though import from that format is
apparently supported). I just tried it with a small library and it scrambled
MOST of the refs. For 8 (of a total of 13 refs!), round tripping from EN8
to EN8 via RIS/txt export/import eliminated the author, title, and editor
fields. these were in the book and book section format -- nothing exotic.
In one reference the process put the title in the notes field.

I have the box stock output styles (that came with EN 8). This appears to
be a serious problem still."

Cheers,

Thomas M. Whitmore
Director of Graduate Studies
Office: 919-962-3916
Fax: 919-962-1537

Department of Geography
Campus Box 3220
University of North Carolina
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3220
Departmental Office: 919-962-8901
http://www.unc.edu/depts/geog/
For UPS or FedEx use the following Address:
Department of Geography
200S Elliott Rd.
Chapel Hill, NC 27514-5830.

Security System.

Security System.

RE: endnote-interest-digest V1 #1624
Author: Rebecca Morris    Posted: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 10:14:48 -0700
In similar situations, I have found that you need to put a comma at the end
of "et al." such as "et al.," in the author section of the reference. This
seems to clarify for Endnote that this is the order you want it listed as.
I have also used this for company names, etc.

________________________________
Rebecca Morris, MSG
University of California, Los Angeles
School of Public Health
Department of Community Health Sciences

>Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 13:29:33 -0400 (EDT)
>From: "Wang,Hongjie" /> >Subject: [none]

/> >Subject: Using et al ?
> [...]
>
>"I am in need of your assistance on Endnote. When using et al., how do I
>type
>it in without is replacing it with al e? I referenced the book but was
>unable to figure how to change the setting to my need. Not all of my
>refereneces do I know all the authors therefore need to use et al.
>Please advise"
>
>Thanks
>
>Hongjie Wang
>Univ. of Connecticy

>This email has been scanned for all viruses by the MessageLabs Email
>Security System.

>This email has been scanned for all viruses by the MessageLabs Email
>Security System.
>
>------------------------------
>
>Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 19:01:06 +0200
>From: /> >Subject: Re: Connecting to CSA offcampus
>
>Hi Bernadette,
>
>Unfortunately, I do not have much personal knowledge about the technical
>details. It is my university who provides a proxy server so that we are
>able
>
>to connect to the services provided off campus. For now, for example, I am
>working in the US and still have full access to my university in Sweden. I
>do not connect via EndNote, I connect to CSA via the Librarys web-pages, as
>I find that more convenient. I do not know if that really would make a
>difference, I mean how you connect as long as there is a proxy. I have
>always been able to connect to Medline from EndNote, the only connection I
>use, and I guess it would be the same with CSA if I tried? Sometimes I
>encounter problems when connecting to CSA, but they are always very
>temporary, and I have no clue as to why. I think that you should contact
>your university, and their IT-department to investigate if they have a
>proxy
>
>that you might not know of. If there is no proxy, ask them to get one. I
>would go crazy if I could not connect from wherever I am. Good luck.
>
>Jorgen
>
>Bernadette Maria Houghton writes:
>
> > J=F6rgen, are you talking about connecting to CSA via EndNote via a =
> > proxy
> > server; or connecting to CSA via http via a proxy server? If the =
> > former,
> > I would greatly appreciate further details.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Bern
> >
> > At 07:01 PM 3/08/2004 +0200, you wrote:
> >

> > I connect to CSA offcampus trough a proxyserver. Works fine.=20

> > both
> > Z39.50
> > off-campus.
> >

> > Bernadette Houghton Information Systems Coordinator=20
> > * Deakin University Geelong Victoria 3217 Australia.
> > * Phone: 03 5227 8221 International: +61 3 5227 8221=20
> > * Fax: 03 5227 8000 International: +61 3 5227 8000
> > * E-mail: /> > > * Website: <http://www.deakin.edu.au/> http://www.deakin.edu.au
> > Deakin University CRICOS Provider Code: 00113B (Vic), 02414F (NSW)

/> >
>This email has been scanned for all viruses by the MessageLabs Email
>Security System.

>This email has been scanned for all viruses by the MessageLabs Email
>Security System.

>End of endnote-interest-digest V1 #1624

Overwhelmed by debt? Find out how to 'Dig Yourself Out of Debt' from MSN
Money. http://special.msn.com/money/0407debt.armx

Security System.

Security System.