Endnote 6 and Win XP

Search email archive for

Endnote 6 and Win XP
Author: Glen Fuller    Posted: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 02:10:00 +1000
Yeah I have had problems with Endnote 6 and XP. There is one 'fix' up on
the Endnote site (if you can call it a fix!).

Err... there is a file EN6CWYW in the 'startup' directory:

[Drive letter]://documents and settings/[user name]/application
data/microsoft/word/startup

Which has to be removed otherwise Word starts a 'memory leak' and you
run out of memory, but it also means that 'your macro settings do not
allow' (as Word now tells me) you to do any cite while you write stuff
or change anything within the fields of your citations.

Glen.

PS Is there going to be a more permanent fix for this or what?

Glen Fuller, PhD Candidate
Centre for Cultural Research
University of Western Sydney

Author: John Beene    Posted: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 02:10:00 +1000
Actually, the fix that Glen is referring to is to remove the
"EN6CWYW.WordXP" file (or "EN6CWYW.WordXP.wll" if you can see file
extensions on your computer) in the Word startup folder and replace it with
the "EN6CWYW.wll" file from the EndNote program folder (this file is a
"Word.Addin.8" file, be sure not to mix it up the the EN6CWYW.dot file which
is a Word template). Swapping this add-in file into the Word Startup folder
will avoid the macro settings error, and will in fact fix the memory leak
problem. Be sure not to miss that step of swapping in the other add-in file
or else the EndNote 6 tools will not work and you will run into the same
problem that Glen's running into.

Author: Lisa Jackson Pulver    Posted: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 09:40:53 +1000
Yeah, the Mac looks better all the time, but seriously incompatable with
some of the high-end stats packs I get to use.
Otherwise...
Crandon's (the Endnote distributer here in Oz) told me about the EN6CWYW
file, and have had no memory probs. But I am now pulling apart my
thesis bit by bit and trying to acertain which reference the program is
sticking on. There must be a be-dugger somewhere for this?????
Lisa

Author: Paul Tratnyek    Posted: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 14:34:48 -0700
>Yeah, the Mac looks better all the time, but seriously incompatable with
>some of the high-end stats packs I get to use.

Really? I didn't think there was anything more "high end" than R.

http://homepage.mac.com/MacStats/OSX/

--
Paul G. Tratnyek | Oregon Health & Science University

RE: Endnote 6 and Win XP
Author: Dan Simpson    Posted: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 13:18:55 -0400
How long is it going to be before this problem is dealt with???? How hard
can it be to create a patch that automaticly deals with deleting this file
and replacing it? I bought endnotes about 8 months ago and had the exact
same problem and reported it. Lets get it together!

ARB

RE: Endnote 6 and Win XP
Author: Mary Peterson    Posted: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 08:41:54 +0930
In my EndNote classes I've discovered that many of our researchers on Win XP
are reporting the same problem. I teach them how to turn of CWYW - that
sometimes works - as well as installing the patch. Can the Research Soft
lurkers on this list give us some advice on what to do about this? And are
you developing a patch / new version that solves the problem?

Mary Peterson
Deputy, Library & Educational Information Services
Royal Adelaide Hospital / Institute of Medical & Veterinary Science

PO Box 14
Rundle Mall
Adelaide SA 5000
Phone: (08) 8222 5443
Fax: (08) 8222 3152
www.imvs.sa.gov.au/library

How long is it going to be before this problem is dealt with???? How hard
can it be to create a patch that automaticly deals with deleting this file
and replacing it? I bought endnotes about 8 months ago and had the exact
same problem and reported it. Lets get it together!

ARB

>From: "Lisa Jackson Pulver" /> >Reply-To: /> >To: /> >Subject: RE: Endnote 6 and Win XP
>Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 09:40:53 +1000
>
>Yeah, the Mac looks better all the time, but seriously incompatable with
>some of the high-end stats packs I get to use.
>Otherwise...
>Crandon's (the Endnote distributer here in Oz) told me about the EN6CWYW
>file, and have had no memory probs. But I am now pulling apart my
>thesis bit by bit and trying to acertain which reference the program is
>sticking on. There must be a be-dugger somewhere for this?????
>Lisa
>

>Lisa Jackson Pulver
>PhD scholar School of Public Health and Community Medicine
>University of Sydney

RE: Endnote 6 and Win XP
Author: Lisa Jackson Pulver    Posted: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 10:27:44 +1000
I see a lot of people are having this problem, I was getting worried it
was me, I was about to reformat my HDD and re-install all the software!
I have created a temporary fix though. I pulled apart my thesis, saving
each bit as a distinct chapter. I Removed all the word field codes (such
as cross references and indexing) that could be mistaken by EndNote as
one of theirs, reformatted each section without tables, illustrations,
photos and graphs (SPSS and STATA derived) and it seems to work. By
that I mean that Word does not hang and crash out, and that I can
re-open the file with-out an auto-recover replacement file.
Now, I am really worried that when I put it all back together I'll hit
the same wall... again.
I have blown a week on this, and not keen to keep trashing my time. If
this is a problem that is known, then why is there no response from the
authors? Don't they realise that we are a pretty dedicated bunch out
here?

Re: Endnote 6 and Win XP
Author: Sali Tagliamonte    Posted: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 12:50:15 -0400
> If
> this is a problem that is known, then why is there no response from the
> authors? Don't they realise that we are a pretty dedicated bunch out
> here?

I couldn't agree more!

I've been using ENDNOTE since 1995, but with all the upgrades and system
upgrades these days, I am going out of my mind that it doesn't WORK anymore!

It used to work great. Now, who knows? I'm currently testing ENDNOTE 6 with
MAC system 10, but with much skepticism. I'm holding onto an old laptop
with WORD 98 and ENDNOTE 3.3.1.2 just in case. But that can't last forever.

Could the developers please do something!!!

On 4/14/03 8:27 PM, "Lisa Jackson Pulver " /> wrote:

> I see a lot of people are having this problem, I was getting worried it
> was me, I was about to reformat my HDD and re-install all the software!
> I have created a temporary fix though. I pulled apart my thesis, saving
> each bit as a distinct chapter. I Removed all the word field codes (such
> as cross references and indexing) that could be mistaken by EndNote as
> one of theirs, reformatted each section without tables, illustrations,
> photos and graphs (SPSS and STATA derived) and it seems to work. By
> that I mean that Word does not hang and crash out, and that I can
> re-open the file with-out an auto-recover replacement file.
> Now, I am really worried that when I put it all back together I'll hit
> the same wall... again.
> I have blown a week on this, and not keen to keep trashing my time. If
> this is a problem that is known, then why is there no response from the
> authors? Don't they realise that we are a pretty dedicated bunch out
> here?
> Lisa
>
> Lisa Jackson Pulver
> PhD scholar School of Public Health and Community Medicine
> University of Sydney

Sali Tagliamonte
Department of Linguistics
University of Toronto
Robarts Library, Room 6085 Off Telephone: 416 946-8024
130 St George Street Off Fax: 416 971-2688
TORONTO, Ontario, M5S 3H1 Mobile: 416 822-3428