Version 6 for Mac OS X

Search email archive for

Version 6 for Mac OS X
Author: Robert Evans    Posted: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 20:50:46 -0500
Hello List,

I purchased EndNote 6 for Mac last December and have been frustrated by the
small glitches and annoyances in the program for the last couple of months.
I have dutifully sent off emails to ISI reporting what I think are bugs and
with suggestions for making the program more Mac-like (for example, being
able to use the keyboard shortcut Command-H to Hide the program). Other
annoyances include EndNote's inability to import TextEdit files (Mac OS X's
text editor and the default format for all downloaded text files), not being
able to paste text into the Change Fields dialog box, and the inability to
select text in the preview window and drag-and-drop it into another
application or as a text clipping.

In addition there are behaviours that I assume are bugs, but have never
received confirmation. For example, I was prompted to write this email this
evening because every time I perform a search in a library, I must close the
Search dialog box and open it again if I want to change or edit the search
parameters, otherwise the text is frozen. I guess what I would like to know
is if there are other frustrated Mac users out there who are waiting, like
me, for the next patch. If so, I encourage you to let ISI know what problems
you are experiencing with the application and let's start to lobby for
solutions to some of these problems. The Jaguar patch was released on Oct.
29, 2002. I don't know how long these things take, but I am worried that the
next "patch" will be a costly "upgrade."

-Robert Evans.

Re: Version 6 for Mac OS X
Author: Jorgen Ullberg    Posted: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 00:42:49 +0200
Hi Robert!

This is not a bug. The search function has never been a problem for me in
version 6. Maybe the program has become corrupt in some way? I do not think
it is an application error. I serch and change search parameters as I like,
and I can alos switch between libraries with no problems at all.

Robert Evans writes:

> In addition there are behaviours that I assume are bugs, but have never
> received confirmation. Every time I perform a search in a library, I must
close the Search dialog box and open it again if I want to change or edit
the search parameters, otherwise the text is frozen.

Jörgen Ullberg

Re: Version 6 for Mac OS X
Author: Robert W Loney    Posted: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 16:02:31 -0400
There is indeed a bug in the search function! It has something to do with
privileges and which user is accessing the program. Similar to Robert,
every time I performed a search , I had to close the Search dialog box and
open it again if I wanted to change or edit the search parameters -
otherwise the text was frozen. In addition, I have been only able to enter 2
fields in the remote search window. EndNote would allow me to add another
field, but not type in it. I uninstalled and reinstalled the application
with no effect. I have verified my permissions, with no change in EndNote
behaviour. I sent this info to ISI and received the following reply:

> We have heard reports of this issue, and have not been able to replicate
the
> issue. There are a few solutions that users have reported working
> successfully for them.
>
> Create a new user account, (go to System Preferences, Accounts, New
User.)
> a. Check "Allow user to administer this computer"
> b. Login to the computer as this new user. (Go to the "Apple" menu and
> select Logout, then switch to this new account).
> c. Try searching PubMed.
> d. If it functions you may want to go back to the System Preferences:
> Accounts and set this account as your default account (you could modify
the
> usernames of your accounts at this point if you wish).

Creating and switching to a different user can fix the problem, but you will
have to re-create preferences for other applications and move/share some
documents with the new user, which can be a lot of work.

In my case uninstalling and reinstalling EndNote and playing with privileges
never fixed the problem - there must be some root level preference file that
does not get removed, and is difficult to locate. This really shouldn't be
the problem it is, but I gave up spending time trying to track down the
culprit. Surely using uninstall and reinstalling should fix these type of
problems. Can you fix this ISI?

_____________________

Robert W. Loney

> Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 00:42:49 +0200
> From: /> > Subject: Re: Version 6 for Mac OS X
>
> Hi Robert!
>
> This is not a bug. The search function has never been a problem for me in
> version 6. Maybe the program has become corrupt in some way? I do not
think
> it is an application error. I serch and change search parameters as I
like,
> and I can alos switch between libraries with no problems at all.
>
> Robert Evans writes:
>>
>> In addition there are behaviours that I assume are bugs, but have never
>> received confirmation. Every time I perform a search in a library, I must
>> close the Search dialog box and open it again if I want to change or edit
>> the search parameters, otherwise the text is frozen.
>
> Jörgen Ullberg
> /> >

Re: Version 6 for Mac OS X
Author: Familia FJ    Posted: Fri, 04 Apr 2003 00:22:17 +0200
Sender: /> Precedence: bulk
It sounds as a problem with the preferences of Endnote. Have you tried to
trash all files with Endnote (including a folder) in the preferences folder
(User/Library/Preferences)? This has worked for me.

Hope it helps,

Pablo (Mac OS X)