EndNote and BibTeX

Search email archive for

EndNote and BibTeX
Author: Torgrim Sandvoll    Posted: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 14:38:36 +0200
Hi!

Can you please guide me to the best conversion utilities for
EndNote to/from BibTeX conversion?
(Know about the BibTex Export Style in EndNote)
Found just an (old) ftp-site on the endnote.com site(?)

Best regards,
Torgrim Sandvoll

Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 10:48:35 -0500
From: "Rafael Garcia" /> Subject: what limits do you place on types of documents you will use
endnote

for
Sender: /> Precedence: bulk
I use endnote in a pretty typical fashion...to file scientific papers
and creat bibliographies. But I often get documents that are not
scientific papers and I will never use in a bibliography, but I DO want
to be able to find later for reference. Just a typical example...today
I got a sheet of instructions from our graphics department for doing
large print jobs. I'm tempted to throw it in my EndNote library; I
could find some other home for it, but chances are I'd lose it or spend
an hour searching for it when I need it. So, the question begins to
arrise...do I use EndNote for every document I want to save for future
reference? One sort of scary part of this is... if I ever lost the
EndNote library for some reason, the my physical and electronic
documents would be totally disorganized (I store my physical documents
by EndNote reference #; the physical documents are not sorted in any
other way; and yes, I always back up my EN library).

A follow-up Q: Endnote doesn't let you define custom document types
does it? Some documents, like my example above, don't fit easily into
any of the standard categories (journal artical, book, ....)

Thanks for your ideas and thoughts!

Rafael Garcia
Research Chemical Engineer
USDA-ARS
Eastern Regional Research Center
600 East Mermaid Ln.
Wydnmoor PA 19038
voice: 215-836-3743
fax: 215-233-6795
/> **please notice e-mail address has changed slightly

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 16:49:45 +1000
From: "Glen Fuller" /> Subject: Error "Endnote cannot add more than 32767 references to a

library"???
Sender: /> Precedence: bulk
G'day anyone and everyone,

I am having a very annoying problem with Endnote. Whenever I attempted
to insert a citation or update the bib. I get and error back saying
that:

Can't save this reference,
Too many references in library "EN527*.tmp" [the * varies
depending on what I am doing]
Endnote cannot add more than 32767 references to a library

Anyone got any clues?

I am trying to write a paper and it is extremely annoying.

Cheerio,
Glen Fuller.

Glen Fuller, PhD Candidate
Centre for Cultural Research
University of Western Sydney

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 19:06:41 -0500
From: Henry Olders /> Subject: Re: downloaded pdb files

EndNote 6 on Mac OS 10 allows you to use the "image" field to store a
file, including a pdf file. Double-clicking on the icon which you see
when you open a reference for editing, will open a pdf file in your
default pdf reader, eg Acrobat Reader.

Henry

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 11:36:58 -0500 (EST)
From: John Beene /> Subject: Error "Endnote cannot add more than 32767 references to a

I think this error is a bit misleading. It's likely that you have a
temporary citation in your word document with a record number that
exceeds 32767 (which is 2 to the 15th power minus 1 I think), so look
for something like {Jones, 2003 #43023}. You might have accidentally
appended some number at the end of the record number by using the "edit
citations" suffix box or something along that line.

Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 10:56:10 -0600
From: "Wiedemann, Leanne" /> Subject: RE: Error "Endnote cannot add more than 32767 references to a

Do you have more than 32767 refs? If not- The .tmp library is the
travelling library. - try to unformat the document and reformat the
document.

Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2003 00:22:17 +0200
From: Familia FJ /> Subject: Re: Version 6 for Mac OS X

Sender: /> Precedence: bulk
It sounds as a problem with the preferences of Endnote. Have you tried
to trash all files with Endnote (including a folder) in the preferences
folder (User/Library/Preferences)? This has worked for me.

Hope it helps,

Pablo (Mac OS X)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 18:11:13 -0500 (EST)
From: /> Subject: RE: what limits do you place on types of documents you will use

endnote
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 17:13:51 -0600
From: "Wiedemann, Leanne" /> To: /> Sender: /> Precedence: bulk
Yes you can define custom document types. you go to edit, preferences,
reference types (there are three unused, but there are so many others,
which are rarely used, you might as well start with something you never
use though.

I actually just started doing this too. I had pdf's of instructions for
a piece of equipment and another on powerpoint skills. I just left them
as a journal article though, and didn't put any title, which makes it
easy to find them, I just sort on title and the empty ones come up
first.... I used the author field to name what they were (with a comma
at the end).

Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 09:15:44 +1000
From: "Glen Fuller" /> Subject: RE: Error "Endnote cannot add more than 32767 references to a

Thankyou to everyone for their replies. I don't have more than 32767
references!!! I un/reformatted and it seemed to work, I must have done
something nasty to one of the reference numbers when adding a suffix
page number or something...

Anyway, thanks again, problem is solved!

Glen.

Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 09:29:23 +1000
From: "Glen Fuller" /> Subject: RE: Error "Endnote cannot add more than 32767 references to

Yep you were right!! Bloody suffix... I was about to go crazy!

Glen Fuller, PhD Candidate
Centre for Cultural Research
University of Western Sydney

I am having a very annoying problem with Endnote. Whenever I attempted
to insert a citation or update the bib. I get and error back saying
that:

Can't save this reference,
Too many references in library "EN527*.tmp" [the * varies
depending on what I am doing]
Endnote cannot add more than 32767 references to a library

Anyone got any clues?

I am trying to write a paper and it is extremely annoying.

Cheerio,
Glen Fuller.

Glen Fuller, PhD Candidate
Centre for Cultural Research
University of Western Sydney

------------------------------

End of endnote-interest-digest V1 #1323
***************************************

RE: EndNote and BibTeX
Author: Wiedemann, Leanne    Posted: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 11:15:53 -0600
9/24/98 is the latest export style available, and the current ftp site is
available from
http://www.endnote.com/support/enstyles.asp page 7, when sorted by name. See
also
ftp://www.isiresearchsoft.com/pub/bibtex/, which the endnote support page
http://www.endnote.com/support/ensupport.asp lists the link to, about 4th
item from the bottom. I don't use it, so I don't know if this helps you,
but you might want to ask the BibTex community and/or ISI tech-support for
more assistance, as these files appear rather old.